Another round of MOD cutbacks is imminent - who would you choose to get the bullet?

Robme

LE
The man who scored the highest ever on PQS2 was a truckie.

ETA D Richards (ex CDS) was CS.
When Masey was CO of them (ex-RCT), More RCT wannabes passed selection out of the Non Paras who traditionally form the gulf of wannabes.

Last edited:

Robme

LE
Speaking of battle runs, having Paramedics like me pre-positioned on fan dance a couple of years back, MAY have prevented a particularly earth shattering, tragic event during selection. I wouldn't have to do selection to be there.

And, being professionally qualified, puts me in a much stronger position than a JR in the RAMC, to insist on a particular course of action.

Doing away with ageism for those of us that have previous service, could be a really productive step forward for the military, especially in light of the recent removal of gender disqualification.

As for the battle run thing, that's a valid concern, but nothing that couldn't be addressed with a bit of imagination and outside of the box thinking....after all, isn't that what Rifleman are supposed to do...think laterally and find the solution rather than let the problem defeat you.

Celer et Audax
I think you have missed the point of ‘them’ selection?
Dealing with problems and situations as they occur is part and parcel of the whole.

Somebody was telling me the other day, that the reason the Welsh Guards got hit so badly during their trip down south, was the officers refused to move and unload at night in case the mess silver got nicked. Thus they became a sitting target when the Pucaras turned up. Knowing the HC as I do, it doesn’t surprise me that the daft sods took their mess silver with them down south, where if the Argies had some gonads one of the subs could have sunk the ship with the loss of all their f‘ing silver. Met this guy at a Veterans Breakfast recently, Falklands Vet so i’v no reason to doubt what he was saying.
There has been a lot written about the Welsh Guards at Fitzroy, including criticism for not disembarking when they could have done so. I've not heard the mess silver conspiracy theory before, though.
However, Sir Galahad and Sir Tristram were NOT hit at night and their attackers were NOT Pucaras, so I think your breakfast veteran informant may have had a sausage too many.

Without wading through all the pages of this thread, has anyone mentioned Transformation and the hugely overpaid contractors who wasted thousands of people's time with Gucci lectures/seminars, post-it notes and trendy management-speak? If they are still being used, kick them out.
Are you Jeremy Corbyn, by any chance?
Consultants are employed when organisations have problems they can't resolve themselves. Look at DIO - a fundamentally broken organisation that is only being transformed through new blood and consultants bringing in best practice from industry

I spent some time recently on an MOD site and its asset management was about 25 years behind industry leaders; vast sums had been pîssed against the wall to service plant and equipment that was obsolete, sticking to time-based maintenance schedules left over from the demise of DOE/PSA from about 1990. Yet the Chief Executive can not authorise expenditure to clear block guttering.

MOD Main Building where the decison-making processes would make a Byzantine Ruler very proud. Where every rank equates to a management layer.

MOD heal thyself? You are having a laugh.

It is a very interesting area of activity and may provide exciting opportunities for some. NATO will simply cease to function should we lose the ability to move equipment and forces across the Atlantic, and the threat is not confined to old Cold War adversaries. Argentine submarines posed a threat in the South Atlantic in 1982, and Iranian submarines pose a risk to shipping in the Persian/Arabian Gulf.

How was your idea for Joint Force Wildcat received?
It is still quite possible but it is a subject I raised a number of years ago without banging on about three or four times a day every day.

Are you Jeremy Corbyn, by any chance?
Consultants are employed when organisations have problems they can't resolve themselves. Look at DIO - a fundamentally broken organisation that is only being transformed through new blood and consultants bringing in best practice from industry

I spent some time recently on an MOD site and its asset management was about 25 years behind industry leaders; vast sums had been pîssed against the wall to service plant and equipment that was obsolete, sticking to time-based maintenance schedules left over from the demise of DOE/PSA from about 1990. Yet the Chief Executive can not authorise expenditure to clear block guttering.

MOD Main Building where the decison-making processes would make a Byzantine Ruler very proud. Where every rank equates to a management layer.

MOD heal thyself? You are having a laugh.

Nope.
Do you own shares in Post-It notes, by any chance?

Nato123

War Hero
Somebody was telling me the other day, that the reason the Welsh Guards got hit so badly during their trip down south, was the officers refused to move and unload at night in case the mess silver got nicked. Thus they became a sitting target when the Pucaras turned up. Knowing the HC as I do, it doesn’t surprise me that the daft sods took their mess silver with them down south, where if the Argies had some gonads one of the subs could have sunk the ship with the loss of all their f‘ing silver. Met this guy at a Veterans Breakfast recently, Falklands Vet so i’v no reason to doubt what he was saying.
You believe and spread nonsense like this and expect to be given some kind of credibility?

What 'Bod' did you meet, a ship's chef?

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
The Royal Signals, every last one of them. Let 90SU cover all tasks, I just want to see a crab getting piss wrapped, stagging outside the front of a tent, before collapsing the tent, moving the tent, pitching the tent, then staging on in front of it again.
Portaloos. You forgot your main effort!

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Now I’m not a spotter but I think it was the type 45 that had to have new engines because they did not like “warm water” and it seem both new aircraft carriers take on more water than is healthy. That equals shit in my book, well that and the massive over price piece.
Not quite right on either count and the price debate is moot.

Get rid of those rocket things on the submarines ( Trident ? ) , only don't tell anyone .

Latest Threads