Another reason why the death penalty should be restored

Without reading all the thread so far...I am all for certain murderers being hanged. As an easy example the two savages who did Lee Rigby. Putting as side the fact that these two had never contributed anything to this country apart from fathering kids which the taxpayer now has to fund. The savagery of the crime plus all the shock value and the consequences it could have had, race wars etc yeah hang em high.
Alternatively pay the US government to lock them up in a super max prison.
The shoe bomber, Richard Read, got 130 years in total. He's in solitary with no parole very little time out of his cell certainly no TV and few visits. He's done over 10 years so far and I assume his brain will turn to mush in the next few years, but anyway he will never get out.
The costs of keeping the Rigby killers over their lifetime and the continuing legal cost's as their legal aid lawyers enrich themselves is a painful insult to the UK.
With the ongoing Jihadi threat there should a tougher alternative than "life" in a UK prison or Broadmoor. Our political masters aren't the potential victims, its us the ordinary person out and about who are the victims.
The lad who tried to detonate the bomb on the tube last year, trained by a death cult so called religion. He's been found guilty but I fear he will do a few' years, he'll play the mental health card and end up living a reasonable life getting by the Government to keep his head down.
Common sense dictates this lad needs getting rid of, hang him or ship him off to my fantasy prison in the USA or Russia they seem to have a decent prison regime!
My bold.

Nah, these people don't fear death at all. They are so messed up with their sky pixie that they really believe that there is a better place for them and the infidels must all die, so being killed in the process is all part of the plan. They become martyrs to the cause and then their names are used by the next ones in line.

Far better to lock them up, quietly and out of the way. Where we fail is that we continue to give them a voice, albeit through their legal team, and allow them to mix with others of a similar bent.

Supermax? Solitary? Deffo. I'd have no problem with that. The life of Richard Reid is nothing to be proud of. Let him suffer appropriately, and you never hear of him now, do you? That is how to deal with terrorists, remove their voice. No martyrdom in solitary is there?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Far better to lock them up, quietly and out of the way. Where we fail is that we continue to give them a voice, albeit through their legal team, and allow them to mix with others of a similar bent.

Supermax? Solitary? Deffo. I'd have no problem with that. The life of Richard Reid is nothing to be proud of. Let him suffer appropriately, and you never hear of him now, do you? That is how to deal with terrorists, remove their voice. No martyrdom in solitary is there?
Maybe for such people, and others, who really deserve a full life sentence, a system similar to the principle of Devil's Island could be used. After all, only two escapes were ever recorded from there.

My bold.

Nah, these people don't fear death at all. They are so messed up with their sky pixie that they really believe that there is a better place for them and the infidels must all die, so being killed in the process is all part of the plan. They become martyrs to the cause and then their names are used by the next ones in line.

Exactly, executing them would have played right into their hands, instead they can rot quietly.

I notice that one of our brethren says that there is 'strong' evidence that Timothy Evans actually did murder his baby daughter in 1949.
So, John Christie admitted to murdering 7 women in 10 Rillington Place (including Evans' wife Beryl) but Tim Evans decided to kill his daughter using the same MO as Christie at the same time as Christie was active, wow. It must be pointed out that there are still people out there that believe the earth is flat as well.
Maybe the same poster should look at the 1950 case of George Kelly and the 1952 cases of Edward Devlin and Alfred Burns who it appears were willfully set up by the same investigating officer DCS Herbert Balmer of Liverpool CID. The last two are going to get cleared in the near future so I expect DCS Balmer's reputation is about to take yet another dive.
I respectfully suggest that this poster takes some time out to read the following books;
(1) Ten Rillington Place by Ludovic Kennedy.
(2) The Cameo Conspiracy by George Skelly.

That makes six wrongful executions between 1950 and 1953 (and I do include Bentley, he has been cleared by better legal minds that any of us) which is going some IMHO.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Just last week, two streets away from me, a loser distraught from having his girlfriend giving him the boot walked into her house and stabbed TO DEATH his ex-girlfriend, her 15 yr old son and her 13 yr old daughter. An older daughter was out visiting a friend when this happened.

Four lives destroyed in the space of 15 minutes, It's hard not to think the death penalty would be a fitting punishment for crimes like this.
I obviously can't give you a like for that, but you know what? I don't remember seeing that on the National News, it's an every day event now murder.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
The Courts disagreed, eventually.

The Courts disagreed, eventually.

There's a strong element of irony in believing that the Courts can be pressured into overturning convictions for politically-motivated reasons but at the same time trusting them not to wield the death sentence for politically-motivated reasons in the first place.
I don't think that Capital Punishment will be restored in The UK in our life time or even our Grandchildrens lifetime. Obviously we don't know what life will be like a hundred years from now so one can not say never.
But one poster @Infiltrator put the argument for not bringing it back very well I thought. And what I would add is that those he iou's crimes where it would have deserved the rope then life really should be life, just like in America.

I don't think that Capital Punishment will be restored in The UK in our life time or even our Grandchildrens lifetime. Obviously we don't know what life will be like a hundred years from now so one can not say never.
But one poster @Infiltrator put the argument for not bringing it back very well I thought. And what I would add is that those he iou's crimes where it would have deserved the rope then life really should be life, just like in America.
This is part of the problem. The public of 1964 were told exactly that and HMG then went off and introduced tariff recommendations which was the opposite of what they had promised.
Some tariff recommendations just don't seem to make any sense and sometimes I wonder why they bother, I saw one recent recommendation for 15 years for a particularly brutal murder FFS.
BTW, life doesn't necessarily mean life in the USA either, each state has vastly varying criteria for sentencing according to state.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
This is part of the problem. The public of 1964 were told exactly that and HMG then went off and introduced tariff recommendations which was the opposite of what they had promised.
Some tariff recommendations just don't seem to make any sense and sometimes I wonder why they bother, I saw one recent recommendation for 15 years for a particularly brutal murder FFS.
BTW, life doesn't necessarily mean life in the USA either, each state has vastly varying criteria for sentencing according to state.
Perhaps I should have said "like in certain states where the sentence is life without the possibility of parole". Oh and in a harsh Federal maximum security type prison in solitary like the one old Hook Hand is residing in.

Just on the point that the state shouldn't have the power to kill and that only, it appears nonsensical to argue that but allow that it should have the power to go to war and justifiably order the killing of enemies.

The state undeniably has the power of life and death. Killing then, is justifiable and the only arguments are where we draw the lines.

Capital punishment in Japan - Wikipedia

I would not say it is rarely used. Hell they slot more people than my State, which by all accounts is just full of gun toting rednecks..
Have a look at the aggregate over say the last 30 years or so.
The Japanese tend to execute in groups usually twice a year so although the numbers might seem high they are actually relatively low if you consider that this is for the entire country. Some of the 13 you mention have convictions going back years.
They also seem to be able to deal with the small number of wrongful convictions due to the time scale between conviction and sentence and the fact that the Japanese seem to have a big aversion to the possibility of wrongful execution and therefore are not precious about re-investigating possible miscarriages of justice.

Just last week, two streets away from me, a loser distraught from having his girlfriend giving him the boot walked into her house and stabbed TO DEATH his ex-girlfriend, her 15 yr old son and her 13 yr old daughter. An older daughter was out visiting a friend when this happened.

Four lives destroyed in the space of 15 minutes, It's hard not to think the death penalty would be a fitting punishment for crimes like this.
Are you from Ajax?

I don't remember seeing that on the National News...QUOTE]

It happened on this side of the pond, north of the 49th. So no one can blame Brexit.

Cheers,
Dan.

Just on the point that the state shouldn't have the power to kill and that only, it appears nonsensical to argue that but allow that it should have the power to go to war and justifiably order the killing of enemies.

The state undeniably has the power of life and death. Killing then, is justifiable and the only arguments are where we draw the lines.
yes, and we have the power over where those lines are drawn, if it's used or not, and as far as the reason, it's not about preventing further crimes, neither is it about getting justice for the family of the victim,(they should not have to shoulder the responsibility) it's about justice for the dead victim, saving taxpayers money, making space in prison, and I'd like to see the likes of Ian Huntley breathing in Nitrogen.

Have a look at the aggregate over say the last 30 years or so.
The Japanese tend to execute in groups usually twice a year so although the numbers might seem high they are actually relatively low if you consider that this is for the entire country. Some of the 13 you mention have convictions going back years.
They also seem to be able to deal with the small number of wrongful convictions due to the time scale between conviction and sentence and the fact that the Japanese seem to have a big aversion to the possibility of wrongful execution and therefore are not precious about re-investigating possible miscarriages of justice.
Japan is one of the very few countries in the developed World where you can walk around on your own, anywhere and at any time, and be safe. Maybe there's a lesson there too?

Now that Ant & Dec are off the air on a Saturday evening , perhaps we could replace it with televised executions ?
Before pulling the lever , there would be a resume of their crimes , followed by a Twitter poll on whether clemency is granted or they're killed .
The advertising revenue would be taxed to pay compensation to the victims , and there would be an auction for the right to pull the lever .
Organ harvest would follow the execution , but televising that would be in bad taste , so maybe just a follow up with a grateful patient a few weeks later . .

Now that Ant & Dec are off the air on a Saturday evening , perhaps we could replace it with televised executions ?
Before pulling the lever , there would be a resume of their crimes , followed by a Twitter poll on whether clemency is granted or they're killed .
The advertising revenue would be taxed to pay compensation to the victims , and there would be an auction for the right to pull the lever .
Organ harvest would follow the execution , but televising that would be in bad taste , so maybe just a follow up with a grateful patient a few weeks later . .
Oh do feck off! Watching Ant and Dec is like being put to death!

Insignificant, when you compare it to the hundreds of thousands who were slaughtered on the bullshit put out by Bush and Blair.
Which you had no interest in then.

Plus your military service didn’t step foot in either country did it?