Another reason why the death penalty should be restored

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I long for the day when a barrister says, "M'Lord, my client is an evil cnut, who is as guilty as hell, had decent parents . a good schooling, but chose to be an unspeakable twat.

I would recommend capital punishment........ "

Hopefully, it would be Anthony Lynton Blair........
Or even his dad.

I disagree with your last paragraph only.

Personally, I don’t think the State has the right to kill other than to prevent others dying (eg armed Bobby shooting a gunman) or, in war, killing such of the enemy as will bring the end of hostilities about.

Your arguments about the practicalities- inadequate legal system, from Plod to Screw to parole service- I’m with you entirely.

I’m just not of the view that anyone, least of all some Civil Servant, has the right to kill, in cold blood, someone who is not a threat to anyone. Whatever they’ve done.

Edit: except Piers Morgan, obvs. Hang him.
The state, in principle, is merely the amalgam of the views of the people.

Society accepts killing for political ends. Basically, the state/society says when it's ok to kill. Different people have different red lines, different rules about when it's ok.

Imagine a very small society, where government amounts to everybody having a say. Society's rule, the law, is a decision of the whole tribe and I suggest they have a right to kill those they see as a threat. Their judicial killing is societal self-defence.

Our society is a lot bigger, and governance therefore different but any sanction/punishment/revenge is still, in principle, our means of self-defence.

However, regardless of all that bilge, I accept that your alternate view is at least as valid as mine.

From the sound of things crime is not being investigated because it's too difficult. Non crimes are being inflated and massaged to bulk up the stats because those involved are easy targets. There appears to be a general unwillingness by those in command to do the job, instead playing politics while the beat copper gets his time wasted to make KPIs look good.

You tell me.

US system far from perfect but in addition to the ability in certain parts for topping the deserving cases, the concept of virtual death penalty by lifetime incarceration coupled with very long sentences with very limited parole opportunities comes from a mindset of removing from or long term containment as a protective measure for society as a whole.

That requires serious resources and funding, whilst here Prison budgets are crimped with a focus on rehabilitation and reintegration into society.

Both suck in their own way.

Ah sod it let's just string up gits who do shit like this from the nearest suitable object as being unfit to live and use the money saved elsewhere:

Driver arrested for attempted murder after ploughing car into Gravesend nightclub in Kent

Oh I dunno. He got 30 years. He's 44 years old. If he does survive the 30 years and he is eventually released on license, he'll have spent the vast majority of the remaining years of his life behind bars.

That's a long time to have to hang about and consider what you did. And at 74 years of age, he'll have nothing to show for his life for the few short remaining years left to him.

I'm not a supporter of the death penalty but I am a supporter of adequate and punitive sentencing for the crime. In this instance, I think the judge got it just about right.
As i have just celebrated my 77 BD I resemble that remark. few short years indeed. Pah!

As i have just celebrated my 77 BD I resemble that remark. few short years indeed. Pah!
At 62 years of age, I honestly don't really know where the time went but in less than 8 years, I'll be hitting my seventies so I'm not really that far behind you.

However, I had a good friend pass away last year who was 94 so I wouldn't worry yourself too much. That's how I look at it. :)

This piece of crap who's just starting to spend most of the rest of his life behind bars though hopefully won't be anywhere near as lucky!!

Are you saying that the Poice services and the Prosecutors are packs of lay abouts?

Given the steady drip, drip about disclosure lately, and the fairly recent miscarriages of justice, plus ineptitude like the shooting of that Brazilian sparky a few years ago.... well.

Not layabouts, and certainly not malicious (mostly) but not to be trusted to always kill the right bod.

For a start restoring the death penalty for treason should be an easy win, ok it would decimate the ranks of the Labour Party but that would be a small price to pay
And the Conservative party for taking all that Russian money.

You miss my point. They did it but got off because a document that wasn't even needed at the time they were prosecuted was omitted from their prosecution.
Justice was not served for them or their victims or the taxpayer. The legal system needs reform and the death penalty needs to be part of it for extreme cases.
What document was that?

You miss my point. They did it but got off because a document that wasn't even needed at the time they were prosecuted was omitted from their prosecution.
Justice was not served for them or their victims or the taxpayer. The legal system needs reform and the death penalty needs to be part of it for extreme cases.

The Birmingham Six did it?

Did they?

I do remember a few years ago someone in America called Castro was convicted of abducting three teenage girls and keeping him a cellar as sex slaves for years . After being caught he got sentenced to several hundred years in jail and after a month getting a small dose of his own medicine he hanged himself

My point ? If you're a noncy boy who steps over a criminal line the death penalty isn't punishment but merciful relief

A fair observation. It is correct but omits a couple of salient points.

Firstly in the period 1945-1964, 197 people were executed in total, which even allowing for all seven to be exonerated puts the failure rate at a bit over 3.5%. Still not acceptable but slightly less headline grabbing.

Secondly the argument that the system fails if one innocent goes to the gallows fails to address the deaths at the hands of convicted murderers out on license, parole or time served.*

I can't see the death penalty ever coming back and quite frankly with the likes of Corbyn and modern trial by media nor would I wish it to. But it gets treated rather emotively like the firing squads of WWI.

*I can't find comparable lists of murders under those terms.
6 innocent people are killed and your reaction is "ah well tough luck?

Seems you and anyone else who is willing to see innocent people killed are not that far removed from the very people you want to hang.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Given the steady drip, drip about disclosure lately, and the fairly recent miscarriages of justice, plus ineptitude like the shooting of that Brazilian sparky a few years ago.... well.

Not layabouts, and certainly not malicious (mostly) but not to be trusted to always kill the right bod.
How dare you criticise that Brazilian shooting again. Don't you know that operation was great success and the officer in charge went on to become Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Service.

HIP HIP............HIP HIP......HIP HIP..........

OH God help us!