Another reason not to buy Vista yet...

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by counterstrike, Mar 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC Clicky

Looks like it wasn't as popular as they expected :D

2. Vista is sh!t , my brother has it on his laptop which has 1 gig of ram, half of which is used up instantly just running all the vista processes.

He bought a dell laptop with gaming in mind, good gfx card, core dou, 1 gig ram, it should be a decent system, but it can't even handle rainbow six vegas because vista is too resource hungry.

Microsoft are also going to release direct x 10 and make it only work with vista, so he can't put XP on his system.

I think I did the right thing by saying f**k pc gaming and going over to ubuntu linux.

3. A gig of RAM is no longer enough, even in an XP box if you want to play decent games. Test Drive Unlimited, that's a hungry bugger even on XP. Still, RAM is pretty cheap. I'd advise bunging in some more, that laptop ought to take at least 2GB, although I'd advise against a laptop for playing games.

DX10 has been available for at least a year, and there's a version specifically for XP, it just takes a bit of hunting down.

4. I'm not sure if it has additional slots for more ram, haven't had a good look at it yet, but I think it's a laptop you can't upgrade.

5. daz

daz LE

Well that was his first problen, buying a bloody Dell laptop, the only one on offer that have 1gig ram seems to be the XPSTM M1330, now that comes with Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator X3100 (utter crap), or as an upgrade you could have it with 128MB nVidia® GeForce® 8400M GS, again not something for the hardcore gamer, or indeed any gamer who fancys playing anything apart from the built in ones :D

Sorry to say, but the old expression springs to mind "A poor workman blames his tools" , There's nothing wrong with Vista providing that the PC that it's installed on is up to the task, trouble is most PC's are not, hence the rants from those sold a pig in a poke :D

6. Cow

Cow LE

Microsoft have dropped the required spec so that Intel can sell more chips The Reg Link

Why do you want to run this OS still? There isn't many drivers designed for it and it's not that reliable yet.

7. It's not the greatest system in the world, but his desktop with XP on can play rainbow six fine, that has a 7 series (oldier) nvidia graphics card, and an even slower processor, the only difference is the OS.

8. Ive got Vista i think its allright not slow and doesnt take the piss starting up.Not had a problem with it.

9. A laptop is not the best gaming platform by a long way but a Dell laptop will be no worse than any other as all the components are pretty much all the same.

Nothing wrong with Vista?? You are joking, an operating system is meant to run the PC to allow applications to run, not to use up a great deal of those resources that applications NEED to run well! Having said that if you have a high spec PC, Vista is very tactile and well presented OS.

10. I've had more issues with Vista on my £4000 monster CAD rig than on my old PC, which has had no issues under Vista. The old rig:

Athlon XP2600
    1.5GB ram
    nVidia nForce 2(!) chipset
    120GB hard drive

This old girl is loaded to the gunwhales with crap. Office, games, home movies, video editing stuff and the Mercedes Benz Workshop Information System.

Nary an issue, and fast too.

(I was going to say "fast to boot" but that would have meant something different in here...)

11. You've hit the nail on the head there vermin, most PC's only have a gig of ram, vista seems to use half of that just idling, an OS is supposed to be something you use to run programs, it's not supposed to be more resourse hungry than the programs themselves.

12. Most systems are coming with 1 gig of RAM. Vista uses a lot of ram to idle, yes. How much percentage of ram on a standard system did XP take up at it's release, compared to WINME?

13. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

If you don't want vista using so much memory then turn of some of its features. It's not difficult and there are plenty of sites that will tell you how. Google for "tweak vista" or similar.

Regarding the laptop memory comment from Mark1234, yes you can upgrade although you may not have enough room for extra memory sticks, but will have to buy bigger memory to go in the existing slots. On some laptops it's easy,and on some (my old Acer being one) you have to fully open it up to get to one of the memory slots.

Have a look at www.crucial.com , type in your system details and you'll see what's on offer.

Vista in fine now that software producers have caught up so there are fewer compatibility issues. I tried it too early, went back to XP and am now back on vista again. You've got to accept that it is the future mainstream OS, so stop fighting it. It has plenty of improvements over XP although there are of course bits that I don't like. Once again look for tips on setting it up / tweaking it on Google.

14. Yes you can, even if it means taking out the old RAM and replacing it. Laptop upgrading can be an expensive sport.

15. I bought a £300 Toshiba laptop with Vista installed for home and internet use and it runs well. I was anxious about buying it because of what I had heard, but decided that I could remove Vista and add XP if all wasn't well. Much more irritating than Vista is the latest version of Office, bring back Word 2003 I say!