Another reason for religious slaughter to be banned

Having a nosy through the BBC website I stumbled across this doesn't make for pleasant viewing and I'd hate to imagine the distress the animals were in during the process including the one strung up when it was still alive,

I'll wager the one member of staff "dismissed" will be working back there or elsewhere under a new name on the books or a different slaughter house. I'm also hoping that criminal charges follow. I cannot see for the life of me why an animal has to suffer like this in the same of a so called entity

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31108761

Having been put of eating lamb after seeing them scared to death getting unloaded into another Slaughter house this has confirmed I'll never eat it again.

SPIDER38

On ROPS
On ROPs
havent watched it or looked at it ,unfortunately dont need too ,happens every day.

Twenty years ago i worked at a slaughterhouse my first week there a cow kicked a slaughterman he turned round drew his knife out of his belt and stabbed it to death ,when you kill 200 plus beast a day the only thing preventing often psyhcopathic tendacys making an appearance on the street is the thought of lawful consequence ,i left after a few weeks.

Last edited:
Saw it on the news. Would love to see the dirty rotten b******s tormented in the same way, before having their throats cut.

There are plenty of professional slaughterhouses around, unfortunately the industrial scale ones will likely employ utter mongs who develop a god complex because they get to poke furry things with a knife.

Kind of undermines the right-on politicos and media types who were bigging up how the animal is treated with the utmost respect at all times and suffering is minimised and all the prep is done out of sight and hearing of the animal and other guff when this was moan-in'd on the radio over the weekend.

Stop me if I'm wrong here but I imagine a conscious animal being hoisted up by it's back legs to bleed out of it's gaping neck-wound is going to be pretty frightened and dumping loads of adrenaline into its system? Must taint the meat somewhat, that?

Also, as we all have a right to a choice now perhaps the food labelling regulations should be tightened up to include all meat needing an indication of which fairy story ritual was followed to kill it, to keep the Jews and muslims from frothing, and whether or not it was humanely killed for the benefit of the rest of us. So we can choose.

Oh, and apparently (according to a Labour MP) we can't ban it due to EU rules. Really? Haven't noticed the EU bashing Denmark yet.

Last edited:

Cynical

LE
Book Reviewer
I have been to one superb slaughterhouse (run by Jody Scheckter) and one OK one in Farnbrough. As small time farmer I am picky about where we send our animals. It is in many ways unfortunate that it is no longer legal to slaughter on farm (thanks EU).

I have read this just after browsing the Jordanian pilot thread. Am I the only bloke (or blokette) who thinks its about time we said to our Muslim brethren "Believe what you like, pray to whom you like how and when you like. But accept that you are seeking to practice a mediaeval religion in a 21st century world. Where there is conflict between the two our laws will trump your superstitions and beliefs. End of."

I have been to one superb slaughterhouse (run by Jody Scheckter) and one OK one in Farnbrough. As small time farmer I am picky about where we send our animals. It is in many ways unfortunate that it is no longer legal to slaughter on farm (thanks EU).

I have read this just after browsing the Jordanian pilot thread. Am I the only bloke (or blokette) who thinks its about time we said to our Muslim brethren "Believe what you like, pray to whom you like how and when you like. But accept that you are seeking to practice a mediaeval religion in a 21st century world. Where there is conflict between the two our laws will trump your superstitions and beliefs. End of."
No, you're not the only one that thinks that, but it will never happen in this country.

Am I the only bloke (or blokette) who thinks its about time we said to our Muslim brethren "Believe what you like, pray to whom you like how and when you like. But accept that you are seeking to practice a mediaeval religion in a 21st century world. Where there is conflict between the two our laws will trump your superstitions and beliefs. End of."
To many voters follow that religion.

No, you're not the only one that thinks that, but it will never happen in this country.
They will just set up back street slaughter houses, Anyone remember the BBC documentary about Asian's sheep rustling to make "smokies" which are banned in the UK? I was parked opposite a halal butchers on Pollockshaws Rd in Glasgow just up from the Star bar and seen a delivery was temped to call trading standards, Manky transit van turns up, sheep carcasses all lying on the floor, The van was unrefrigerated and the drivers overalls were filthy.

havent watched it or looked at it ,unfortunately dont need too ,happens every day.

Twenty years ago i worked as a slaughterhouse my first week there a cow kicked a slaughterman he turned round drew his knife out of his belt a stabbed it to death ,when you kill 200 plus beast a day the only thing preventing often psyhcopathic tendacys to make an appearance on the street is the thought of lawful consequence ,i left after a few weeks.
It's a very special kind of not-right who becomes a slaughterman. You don't just fall into the job, slaughtermen are born.

I went to school with one and I'm convinced he'd be in Broadmoor by now if it wasn't fot'job.

Amusingly, he ran up a hefty bill on the old 0898 numbers when he moved in with a girl. To save himself the mild embarrassment of admitting to his squeeze that he'd been wanking, he denied everything and let her call the police.

So he ended up in the paper for wasting police time. And wanking off to 0898 numbers - so not only did she find out, but so did the whole village. We're still laughing about it 25 years later.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if they do, though it may not fit their political agenda. At the moment it looks as if the Food Standards Agency are dealing with it.
The Independent said today that the charity Animal Aid did the secret filming and the Food Standards agency will review the evidence and pass it on to the CPS, should they think fit. The RSPCA said "This footage sounds absolutely shocking" ...

If you dont like it vote with your wallet , dont buy halal including your Friday night curry after 9 pints.

If you dont like it vote with your wallet , dont buy halal including your Friday night curry after 9 pints.
I most certainly do exactly that.

I only ever buy from traditional quality butchers who have relationships with farmers. I won't even buy from supermarkets, let alone curry faces. It's important to respect the animal that puts the food on your plate.

Nail on the head with this comment , we used to have a slaughter house on the farm when I was young , the animals went from peacefully grazing into the yard then through some doors to the slaughter house , they would often still be chewing the cud seconds before they were killed.

Compare this with the poor beasts that now are stuffed on a truck , driven anything up to 8 hrs before being unloaded and shoved about by uncaring slaughter men and standing terrified before being slaughtered ......yet the EU reckons it's better ?

TBH not surprised about the original subject , you can't be normal and care about animals if you kill them all day long.

I've seen rough tough farmers with tears in their eyes as the bullocks are loaded up to go to market , often with one amongst them that as a calf you fought for their lives when they were born on a cold wet day, caught pneumonia but survived and became the one in the herd that would come up for a stroke and a tussle , it's a business but that don't mean you can't care for and respect your livestock.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
The story in The Times was quite horrific, blunt knives been used to butcher them to death.
All in the name of Allah. The strange part of this story was the fact that that no Islamic mumblings we're made as they butchered the sheep, they had a radio blaring out and as it was in December, you've guessed it, they were even listening to Christmas songs, how ironic.

I dare say this cruelty goes on in many an abattoir, Halal or not. It is about time strict laws and conditions were laid out and adhered to.

Welsh lamb this Sunday.