Another RCB thred!

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Tabs, May 10, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Variation on a well covered topic: Any advise on what not to do at RCB?

2. tell all the staff to **** off?

3. tell them that youre a member of ARRSE, or in fact show them your arrse.

4. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

Lie on your CV - a fast way to an early train home

Then, don't have a stand up shouting arguement with a half Col when found to be lying on said CV, they take a dim view of it.

5. Rail Warrants, are they dated or not? I would like to travel to westbury on the sunday if possible to avoid a stupidly early start on monday (for Brief). Do I have to request this on the acknowledgement form?

6. got to be worth a try, they can only say no (and then ridicule you relentlessly for the rest of your stay)

7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

'another thred' 'any advise'

You may find that checking your spelling will help, since making mistakes shows a lack of attention to detail, not to mention a lack of respect for the reader.

8. That’s one of my major weaknesses due to my Dyslexia! Does any one have any thoughts on Dyslexics in the Army, especially as an officer?

P.S. (Patton was Dyslexic)

9. the Navy will take you.

10. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

11. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Use the spellchecker when writing, and if necessary get someone else to check your work. How much you are affected by your dyslexia when reading will depend upon the severity of the condition. You will certainly be expected to produce a high standard of written work. I don't know if any allowances are made.

So was/is Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Thomas Edison, Picasso, Duncan Goodhew, Steve Redgrave, Richard Branson, Agatha Christie and others.

The future Mrs VB has a dyslexic boy and I have often told him about the famous people who did not let their dyslexia get the better of them.
    He still finds it a source of great frustration, particularly when others (including teachers), take it as a measure of intelligence.

Incidentally, it is documented that Patton could barely read and write - his wife corrected his spelling, grammar and punctuation. Presumably he had someone else to do it in the field.

12. Don't make a tit of yourself in the Mess.

13. On the note of dyslexia, I just came back from my TA Brief (pretty much the same as the RCB one except a few elements moved between them for time optimisation, and there was a lady with dyslexia in the group.

It did affect her mental aptitude tests but when they figured it out they gave her a specific test to test how bad her situation was.

Best bet, give it a try if nothing else you'll have fun :).

14. Well, I'd advise you not to join the ACG, RCL, RMAC, ASS, SCAS, POW, ACA, LRQ, LQR, RGD, etc etc etc...

15. Dyslexia won't stop you being able to look after your men.

What it will mean is you'll have to make sure you impress at the RCB and try your darndest to get the MAP squared away. The part of it you might have a problem with would be what boils down to logical reasoning and perhaps the numeracy depending on how your brain works.

Planex, just concentrate on what you're doing and keep it simple whilst doing what's asked of you. If you keep it short but hit all the points you should be fine.

Best of luck.