ANOTHER PHOTO CHALLENGE GUYS...FRANK PICKLES

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by kpickles, Apr 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HI

I am back with another fun photo challenge!!

What can you tell me about this picture, full points for the person who can tell me time photo was taken, identify uniform, tell me what frank did and what he had for breakfast on that day!!! my father in law, frank rellie, says iit boer war, but there is no record I can find that he served in the boer war......we all know what assuming does...who knows!!

Thank you

Kirstie

FRANK IS ON THE RIGHT AS YOU LOOK AT THE PIC

Attached Files:

2. Sorry no idea, perhaps shoe size size eight and a half, and kippers for breakfast. Photo taken at 14:35 GMT.

If it was a caption competition though......

"And here's one we made earlier..."

3. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

A larger than postage stamp size picture would help!

Can you post a higher definition and larger scan? That way, one might be able to make out the collar dogs and whatever they seem so proud to be photographed with!

4. Isn't it a still from "The Meaning of Life"....?

5. Well, they're not Coldstream, Scots, Welch, or Irish Guards.

6. hey, i had some probs attaching the pic just kept saying it was to big even though it was under 256...will try again tomorrow...thank you. In my naive understanding of computers I thought the pic might look bigger on the post!!!!!

Night Night

7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

A better photo please, light coloured facings could narrow down the regt.

8. HI GUYS,

try this one for size....

Kirstie

Attached Files:

9. RM Badge on the collars perhaps? RM Artillery? 1880s-ish is my best stab in the dark. As for breakfast, roasted suckling boar and kedgeree obviously...

10. Well he was a marksman! Beyond that I can't help but it's not my speciality.
    I'm more baffled by the basket/stand thing!

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The Zulu Kings Throne?

12. I think going by the workmanship evident on the main frame compared with the "rustic" bits I suspect it's a piece of prop furniture for a revue or similar. Still no idea what it's supposed to be though!

13. On form as usual guys.....

GOT SOME CAMPAIGN STRIPS, FATHER IN LAW SEEMS TO THINK THEY ARE FRANKS.......

South Africa 1902
    South Africa 1901
    Orange Free State
    Cape Colony.....

DO YOUR MAGIC BOYS!!!!

Oh, and I am told he wasn't keen on kedgeree!!

Kirstie

14. are the collar dogs ELEPHANTS....bearing in mind I was up late lastnight!!

If so, the only elephant collar dogs I can find are queens own, a scottish reg, did go to SA in Boer War.....

thoughts..............

15. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

1881 ffock coatee, buff or white facings, marksman, 6 years good conduct stripes. The collar badge appears to be a eagle or bird to me, so I am drawn to the The Buckingham Rifle Volunteers, which had existed until 1908, then became part of the main regiment as the Buckinghamshire Battalion. They have the button which have the swan like bird which matches the photo of Frank.

The search continues.