Another nonce - Sir Cyril Smith

Trouble averted; jumped before pushed.

'Lord Steel quit the Lib Dems today after an inquiry slammed his failure to report child sex abuse claims against the late MP Cyril Smith. The former Liberal Party leader, 81, said he will also retire from the House of Lords "as soon as possible" after 55 years' unbroken service in Parliament.

'But the grandee did not apologise or admit wrongdoing. Instead he said he was quitting to avoid "turmoil" in his party. He added he had struggled to hear while giving evidence, and was unable to clarify his evidence to the inquiry. It suggests Lord Steel can no longer be expelled from the Lib Dems - a prospect which had been reportedly mulled by party chiefs.'

Betting stopped at Betfred

The former Liberal Party leader, 81, said he will also retire from the House of Lords "as soon as possible" after 55 years' unbroken service in Parliament.

So the smug tosser's never had a "proper" job like the rest of us.

I believe Cyril Smith's offending started long before 73......... it was common knowledge well before that, around Rochdale.

Chef

LE

'Lord Steel quit the Lib Dems today after an inquiry slammed his failure to report child sex abuse claims against the late MP Cyril Smith. The former Liberal Party leader, 81, said he will also retire from the House of Lords "as soon as possible" after 55 years' unbroken service in Parliament.

'But the grandee did not apologise or admit wrongdoing. Instead he said he was quitting to avoid "turmoil" in his party. He added he had struggled to hear while giving evidence, and was unable to clarify his evidence to the inquiry. It suggests Lord Steel can no longer be expelled from the Lib Dems - a prospect which had been reportedly mulled by party chiefs.'

Done the honourable thing.

The Lib-Dem's Webley is in the same deplorable condition as every other party's.

Yokel

LE
As Carl Jung said, the shadow goes all the way down to hell. Covering up morally and legally unacceptable acts for short term political convenience is just beyond the pale.

I am sickened by having seen a party political broadcast from the seventies in which Smith himself called for a more 'Christian' approach to politics. What about the story of the good Samaritan?

Awol

LE
If Steel didn't have proof of Smith's misdomeanors (and there obviously wasn't any proof because Smith would have been nicked a long time ago), what justification would he have had for taking the accusations any further?

It's all very well, with retrospect, to say Smith was a wrong 'un, but to destroy a colleagues (or anyone's) life without proof of wrongdoing is a very big step to take.

Having said that, Steel's resignation should be a lesson to today's shitsinsuits MPs on how to behave honourably in a controversy.

UKTAP

LE
As Carl Jung said, the shadow goes all the way down to hell. Covering up morally and legally unacceptable acts for short term political convenience is just beyond the pale.

I am sickened by having seen a party political broadcast from the seventies in which Smith himself called for a more 'Christian' approach to politics. What about the story of the good Samaritan?
Noting the church's long and illustrious history of shagging children through the ages, continuing to the current day, you could argue that he took a very Christian approach indeed.

Indeed - I had forgotten that Steel was a supporter of Ming Campbell's in the leadership race, which may also have raised Ming's wrath against the notion of scape-goating Steel. It seems that Steel didn't want to start a fight about his continuance as part of the party, and it raises my suspicions that Alan Beith (who I referred to in an earlier post) has been given a bit of an easy ride by the party.

In truth, the Chief Whip - if doing his job properly - ought to have had a much greater handle on this, even if it was going to Steel and saying that the wall of silence was such that he thought something was amiss. He did not. This is admirably reflected in the post by @Awol above - Steel ought to have known, Beith should have known; it was his job to find out. His evidence to the inquiry suggests that he chose not to take Smith on, but to take his word - as Steel had to, given the limited evidence before him.

Although the leader takes the ultimate responsibility, there are a few senior Liberals (who went on to be Lib Dems) who either suppressed this or who wanted to pretend that it wasn't going on. While Campbell is showing perhaps too much loyalty to a supporter, it may well be that he believes that there are others who should and must carry the can for the failings that allowed Smith to get away with his abuse.

A6A29903-F5D9-4EBF-93F7-01A9EBCBD19D.jpeg

Cyril must have been hung like an elephants trunk with that gut of his.

It's all very well, with retrospect, to say Smith was a wrong 'un, but to destroy a colleagues (or anyone's) life without proof of wrongdoing is a very big step to take.
Seems to work OK for Tom Watson

magumba

Clanker

magumba

Clanker
Little known fact 369 ....I have a quantity of Mrs Cyril Smiths personal paperwork some of it dating back to her schooldays that i came across at a car boot sale...keep meaning to have a look through it...but life keeps getting in the way

Little known fact 369 ....I have a quantity of Mrs Cyril Smiths personal paperwork some of it dating back to her schooldays that i came across at a car boot sale...keep meaning to have a look through it...but life keeps getting in the way
If that’s his Mum, rather than a girlfriend, they could be interesting. She worked as a cleaner at Rochdale town hall, and it is alleged that she would go through the bins every evening to see if she could gain information for Cyril to which he might otherwise not have had access.

The local police were either based in the town hall or had an office there, and Mrs Smith had to be banned from cleaning there lest she obtain information about police investigations (either into Cyril or other local political figures) which might be misused by her son.

You underestimate them.

Look how quickly Wee Nippy reported her concerns about her then finance minister's propensity for (a) drunkenness and (b) texting teenagers, then fired him as finance minister and expelled him from the party.

And how vigorously Corbyn combats antisemitism in the Labour party.

(Or was that in a parallel universe).

Wordsmith
No she didn't , He was allowed to resign his post, And has only been suspended from the party at the moment, SNP where also right up to the last minute trying to cover up the story.

And there's a lot of sectors in Scotland not being covered by the inquiry either which is a bit odd....

SUU23

LE
If that’s his Mum, rather than a girlfriend, they could be interesting. She worked as a cleaner at Rochdale town hall, and it is alleged that she would go through the bins every evening to see if she could gain information for Cyril to which he might otherwise not have had access.

The local police were either based in the town hall or had an office there, and Mrs Smith had to be banned from cleaning there lest she obtain information about police investigations (either into Cyril or other local political figures) which might be misused by her son.
Cyril Smith, Girlfriend?.........I think not!
My Father in Law worked at Fothergills in engineering when Cyril arrived as a youth in the offices, 'Light of foot' was how my FiL described him. Heavy of hand was probably how many lads and apprentices would have described him.

Cyril Smith, Girlfriend?.........I think not!
My Father in Law worked at Fothergills in engineering when Cyril arrived as a youth in the offices, 'Light of foot' was how my FiL described him. Heavy of hand was probably how many lads and apprentices would have described him.
I believe that he was described as ‘a lifelong batchelor’ in most of his obituaries...

Latest Threads