Another nonce - Sir Cyril Smith

Common Purpose?
A little bit of that which has led onto to a lot of funding for what you could call diversity organisations, where LGBT people get work and being LGBT has become their job overriding anything else

Case in point I know someone trans in one of these organisations and they were saying on social media how awful it was that those schools in Birmingham are having to fight to teach tolerance

They went ballistic when I said the elephant in the room is religion, religion is the cause of those people protesting, and through religion teachings they learnt to be bigots, they weren't born that way

And so they turned on me and called me Islamophobic, and were more outraged by my comments than what they were virtue signalling about in the first place

I too think it's important to allow people to identify as whatever they believe, though I remain to be convinced of the wider benefits of forcing others to change their own beliefs in order to accommodate this.
I am not in any way in favour of people being forced or brainwashed into any form of opinion.
I am also for the same reason not in favour of 'safe places' or the same.
I like people disagreeing with me, how else can I educate them.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I am not in any way in favour of people being forced or brainwashed into any form of opinion.
I am also for the same reason not in favour of 'safe places' or the same.
Then we're in complete agreement.

I like people disagreeing with me, how else can I educate them.
Yes education is important.
And to some, re-education is more so.

Then we're in complete agreement.

Yes education is important.
And to some, re-education is more so.
Yes, when Blair said, 'education, education, education;, I probably wasn't the only one who translated it as brainwashing etc.
And that was before he was elected and became a war criminal.

A little bit of that which has led onto to a lot of funding for what you could call diversity organisations, where LGBT people get work and being LGBT has become their job overriding anything else

Case in point I know someone trans in one of these organisations and they were saying on social media how awful it was that those schools in Birmingham are having to fight to teach tolerance

They went ballistic when I said the elephant in the room is religion, religion is the cause of those people protesting, and through religion teachings they learnt to be bigots, they weren't born that way

And so they turned on me and called me Islamophobic, and were more outraged by my comments than what they were virtue signalling about in the first place
This is going to be the next turn of the diversity, multicultural, multi religious, cross gender, wheel.
The people who put this in place have moved on leaving it in the hands of the zealots who are too dim to see where the fault lines are about to expand.

Lots of Sub Saharan African and Afro Caribbean types hate homosexuals with a vengence, Muslims, from wherever they are are not too keen either. I can't imagine all of their views on trans people. So who are the poor old left wing whingers going to back? The ethnic or religious minorities or the LGBT types?

On another note Rastafarianism is the fastest growing religion in the Army. The noble weed is an integral part of that religion so how long until the ASM starts banging out spliffs instead of 'Coins'?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh dear...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/02/18/lord-steel-facing-liberal-democrat-expulsion-criticism-child/
Lord Steel is set to be the first politician singled out for censure by the national child sex abuse inquiry and faces expulsion from the Liberal Democrats, The Telegraph can reveal. The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA) is set to publish the conclusions of its investigation into allegations relating to Westminster next week, and the Telegraph has learned that it is set to castigate Lord Steel.
Love this bit:
Friends of the peer, one of the towering political figures of the 1970s and 1980s, fear he will be made a "scapegoat" over his admission that he failed to pass on his suspicions about Liberal MP Sir Cyril Smith's abuse of boys to the authorities.
So he'll be made a scapegoat for not passing on well-founded suspicions that Cyril Smith was a pedophile?

What happened to the concept of integrity and doing the right thing?

Wordsmith

Chalkythedog

Old-Salt

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Integrity and doing the right thing? We are talking about politicians?
You underestimate them.

Look how quickly Wee Nippy reported her concerns about her then finance minister's propensity for (a) drunkenness and (b) texting teenagers, then fired him as finance minister and expelled him from the party.

And how vigorously Corbyn combats antisemitism in the Labour party.

(Or was that in a parallel universe).

Wordsmith

Yes, when Blair said, 'education, education, education;, I probably wasn't the only one who translated it as brainwashing etc.
And that was before he was elected and became a war criminal.
Blair was not a war criminal, you silly.

ETA: just had a look at who actually rated this as "dumb".

No surprises.

If Blair was a war criminal he'd have been prosecuted as such. The fact he hasn't is a bit of a clue...

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Commentary by war experts is always welcome.

Oh dear...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/02/18/lord-steel-facing-liberal-democrat-expulsion-criticism-child/

Love this bit:

So he'll be made a scapegoat for not passing on well-founded suspicions that Cyril Smith was a pedophile?

What happened to the concept of integrity and doing the right thing?

Wordsmith
He’s also one of the Lords who tried to stop brexit so I’m not too bothered.

in his defence though, it’s very easy to demonise somebody through with modern day standards about what happened in a different time with different standards. I don’t believe for one minute that child abuse/rape etc etc were viewed through the same prism in the 70s as they are today.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I don’t believe for one minute that child abuse/rape etc etc were viewed through the same prism in the 70s as they are today.
Very true.
If someone killed a definite paedo back then the CPS would have been far less likely to prosecute.

Very true.
If someone killed a definite paedo back then the CPS would have been far less likely to prosecute.
Although i was around in the 70s I was only a very young kid. I get the impression it was frowned upon but never really prosecuted much.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Although i was around in the 70s I was only a very young kid. I get the impression it was frowned upon but never really prosecuted much.
You were just an ugly kid.

Around 1972 a childhood friend and neighbor who went to a different secondary school from me, told me about how their well-liked music teacher had engaged him in sexual activity after the lesson at school. My friend told me that he learnt to say "a firm NO" to the teacher and that was enough in order to be left alone. My friend told me about this in order to warn me of such things. We were about 13. I knew then how babies are made but hitherto had no inkling about sexual orientations/perversions (the instruction given to us an early age, not to accept sweets from strangers, was never actually explained).
A year or so after that I heard boys in my year at school talking about the music teacher at ****** ****** molesting pupils, so apparently it was no secret. A year or two after that the music teacher reached retirement and his school held a gala farewell concert for him - the school hall was packed with parents, visitors etc. and the evening enjoyed by all.
I suppose times have changed.

Last edited:

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Very true.
Methinks it was more about damage limitation. Cyril Smith was a very public part of the Liberal Party. Having him on trial for being a kiddy fiddler would not have done their vote any good.

I suspect Lord Steel was in three (un)wise monkey mode.

Wordsmith

mrboo

War Hero
When I was in junior school down south mid 70s.. The head master used to run nude swimming at lunch time for any of the kids that wanted it. You had to get your parents to sign a disclaimer. He also run a scout group (I did not go to) and he was also a justice of the peace. How times change...

He’s also one of the Lords who tried to stop brexit so I’m not too bothered.

in his defence though, it’s very easy to demonise somebody through with modern day standards about what happened in a different time with different standards. I don’t believe for one minute that child abuse/rape etc etc were viewed through the same prism in the 70s as they are today.
From the Cyril Smith wiki page

In May 1979, a local underground magazine, the Rochdale Alternative Press, alleged that in the 1960s Smith had spanked and sexually abused teenage boys in a hostel he co-founded. The matter was investigated by the police but Smith was not prosecuted. The story was repeated in the same month by the satirical magazine Private Eye.[55] Smith never publicly denied the accusations of abuse, nor did he ever take legal action, but after his death the allegations were denied by his family.[56][57][58] The Press Office of the leader of the Liberal Party, David Steelcommented, "All he seems to have done is spanked a few bare bottoms".[59]