Another Nail in the UK Manufacturing Coffin

Discussion in 'Economics' started by geezer466, Jul 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ford shuts down UK plants, switches operations to Turkey | Economy | World Bulletin

Ford have been a bunch of professional panhandlers for decades. The number of times they say to governments around the world, "give us a hand out or we will die on your doorstep" is uncountable.
    I expect they extracted big tax concessions from the Turkish government who are desperate to keep their growth going in the face of riots.

1 week's notice for the workers? Shame on Ford.

Ain't globalisation Wonderful.......
  2. Ford is financially buggered. What do you want them to do? Carry on and go bust?

By your link Gent is going as well with the loss of 4300 jobs, so it's not just us.
  3. You do realize how many plants they shut down in their own home state of MI....and the U.S. in general right?
  4. Ford Dagenham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My bold.

They knew Dagenham was shedding jobs but thought Ford would retain a presence.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Genk, not Gent.

6. Who cares its in Belgium.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. And the closure, with the production moving to Valencia, was announced last year so it's hardly a "seemingly"......
  8. But they are - they're not going anywhere, not in the short term anyways. Ford UK make a massive amount of engines here - in fact around a third of their entire global engine production is done here in the UK.

And they are closing stamping because they are closing the van production, which means they don't need to do it here anymore.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bit of a bollox headline to be honest. The Ford story is old news, and UK manufacturing is on the rise across an awful lot of sectors, including car production.

Following a steady rise in manufacturing, it has suffered a small decline in recent months ( 0.8%) but it will be back on track soon. Anyway, do excuse my intrusion, please continue with the "UK doesn't manufacture anything, Maggie destroyed it all" nonsense..
    • Like Like x 2
  10. So how does this work- everyone relocates to a cheap labour location and exports the products back into a higher wage location in order to sell them?

And where do the higher wages in that high wage location come from if everyone has relocated their business to a low wage location?

I don't blame Ford for what they are doing- it makes sense from their viewpoint- but in aggregate the strategy is a classic 'tragedy of the commons' scenario-

In economics, the tragedy of the commons is the depletion of a shared resource by individuals, acting independently and rationally according to each one's self-interest, despite their understanding that depleting the common resource is contrary to the group's long-term best interests.

The 'shared resource' in this case being the wage driven demand for goods and services.
  11. I was in Australia recently visiting relatives, they said Ford are completely shutting down in that country as well, no more cars to be produced there. How nice of them.
  12. The UK last year produced more cars (or motors for your Brits :)) than before in a long time and is projected to hit the highest in its history in 2015 - just not done by British owned companies.
  13. Ask the city of Detroit and MI in general....
    • Like Like x 2