Another knife thread, Illegal/legal???

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by commzmeanzbombz, Jun 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon all,

After reading a thread about a dodgy old pensioner with an illegal knife I began to ponder......

Is the small lock knife that I keep in my glove box (for no other reason than one day I might need to cut some string or something) illegal?

I have no idea what is a legal knife and what is illegal! On exercise i carry a gerber gaitor and a leatherman wave and i even have an issue survival knife although it rarely leaves my shed.

Also in my shed I have a WW2 British bayonet, a German bayonet, a kukri and a current issue British bayonet that i bought on a car boot sale (I have a receipt all you monkey types out there!)

I am more than a little bit worried, am I the next knife crime monster???

So, what shouldn’t we carry and what is acceptable?

2. Possession of Blades/Points
    Section 139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 prohibits the possession in a public place of any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed, (including a folding pocket knife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 7.62cm/3 inches) (Archbold, 24 -125)

Section 139A of the 1988 Act extends the geographical scope of both of the above offences to school premises.

18. For the purposes of sections 139 and 139A of the Act:

a butterknife, with no cutting edge and no point is a bladed article; (Booker v DPP 169J.P. 368, DC); a screwdriver is not a bladed article; (R v Davis [1998] Crim L.R. 564 CA); a "lock knife" does not come into the category of "folding pocket knife" because it is not immediately foldable at all times; (Rv Deegan [1998] 2 Cr.App,R 121 CA).

Linky thing
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

If it's under 3" and doesn't lock, then it's legal to have it in a public place - like your car when it's on the public highway, or about your person in a public place.

Anything longer or locking is potentially deemed as an offensive weapon if carried in a public place without good reason.

Circumstances and reasons that may circumvent that rule would be things like:

I've just bought this FS knife from The Outdoorsman, it's in a bag, here's my receipt, I'm taking it home.

I'm just on my way to the 'Men in Green Tights Convention', hence my belt is the only place I can hang this sword from, and I'm walking along the street with it because I don't drive.

I'm a delivery driver, and this is my van, and I use it to cut box and string open.

It's in my toolkit, in the boot, and it's a tool, and it's not readily accessible by me to use as a weapon.

It's a multi-tool, no more, no less. It's got lots of handy gizmos on, so it lives in my glove compartment, and no, I haven't just threatened to jook someone in a pub.

Reasons that might get you nicked:

I was just standing in the bank queue, and completely forgot it was there.

I like swords, I like green tights, don't oppress me, pig.

I always have a knife in the side pocket of my car, and usually a big one too - you never know eh [wink wink].

I never stabbed him copper, aaarrggghhhh, that ain't mine, I don't know how it got there, get off my arrrrmm!.

I was just showing it to my mates.
  4. Its the "locking" bit that suprises me.

A leatherman is technically a lock knife and hundreds of squaddies wear them on their belts day in day out, im sure its only a matter of time before someone gets in trouble.

I had no idea that my handy little webley lock knife thats sat in the glove box could get me in some serious shizzle!

I used to have a small knife that didnt lock for gutting rabbits/trout etc but I soon swapped it when I nearly lost my fingers, theyre bloody lethal!

Me thinks it might be time for some soldiers edumacation on this subject before someone does get caught out!
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

There was a test-case in court another time in which it was shown that a Leatherman-type product is a multi-tool, rather than an offensive weapon. The old boy in this case didn't get that protection because he allegedly threatened to open someone up, and the only thing he could possibly use to complete that task was a multi-tool with a blade on it - and pre-emptive unpacking of said blade.

The multi-tool exemption came into being because of the time it takes to get out the multi-tool and unfold the necessaries, thus giving the other person time to escape and evade as the immediacy of the threat is negated by the fumbling about with said tool.

I believe that the 'locking' clause on bladed items is one that could be tested in courts just as the use of rifle moderatos was, and under the same principle - that of health and safety. Non-locking folding blades are very dangerous to the user indeed, and one only has to look at the Scout Group implementation of said rules as far as their scouts go: Some scout groups have been advising parents to provide their kids with non-locking blades to conform to the laws, despite the law allowing those same children/parents to carry the locking versions to and use them at Scout group events.

My advice to parents and knife buyers has been as per my first post, but specifically to parents of scouts/guides/cubs/Cadets etc., I have been telling them to buy either fixed bladed knives or locking knives only - certainly not the non-locking ones, purely for the health and welfare of their sprogs.
  6. I personally carry a Spyderco UK Penknife. This has been specifically designed to comply with UK law. It's also cleverly designed so that the blade can't close on your fingers.
  7. There are some multi-tools with knife blades on the outside of the handle, arranged for one-handed opening and locking. I don't think those would pass the fumbling test.

If in doubt, folding blade less than 3 inches.
    If you plan on using a knife for a particular, justifiable, task, get a suitable one.
  8. A bit pricey to cut a bit of green string or slice Open the odd box.

Spyderco Knives | Spyderco UK Penknife Knife - Green Handle
    £93.99 new -
  9. I reckon it's worth every penny. It's honestly the best pocket knife I've ever owned - razor sharp and easy to open and close with one hand.

If you are on a budget, Spyderco also do a couple of UK legal keychain knives that sell for about a tenner each.
  10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

My personal knife is a Benchmade 'Osborne 940', with a s30V steel blade.

None of your faffing around opening it with your fumbly fingers, you simply pull the little knobble back and flick your wrist - hey presto, one exceptionally sharp, mildy expensive, but exquisitely designed knife.

Here's someone playing with one

I use it everyday for stuff at work and at home. I even used it to enlarge the internal magazine opening on my synthetic Knoxx rifle stock to fit the magazine conversion kit. I tried a Stanley knife too, and it wasn't as good at the job!!

Here's a septic talking about it: Droolling a bit
  11. I carry a locking stanley type knife, is that illigal. I use it at work. In fact its from Hesco Bastion.
  12. so, whould having a swiss army knife in the pocket of your combats be considered legal or illegal? it being there for the purpose that you may use it to make a basha at some point, even if your just swanning around the base?
  13. I keep my leatherman on a peice of paracord attached to my belt so i don't lose it (again). Was building my basha and fiddling around with something using the knife, plt sgt told me to come hither, stabed knife into ground, stood up, knife came with, straight through the basha as i tried to do my best 'it was like that when i got here' face with the leatherman hanging from me belt.

Moral of the story, paracord is dangerous, ban it!

Edit: i had been awake for the best part of forever at the time.
  14. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Actually the moral of the story is don't be a mong-brained arsepart.
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Good reason covers it, as a stalker I often carry sharp knives but they tend to live in a roesack. If I have one on a belt I put it away when I leave the woods, this is usually in a lidded box with my bino's radio etc. Its no more dangerous to anyone that the 7mm mauser in the guncase next to it!