Another Icelandic Volcano about to blow

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by re-stilly, Dec 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you have a holiday booked over Xmas, I suggest you go by car rather than fly, seems another Icelandic Volcano could be about to blow and could be the biggest eruption in 100 years.

Linky Bit

2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

It's been a while since Canada sat on the mid-Atlantic Ridge. Not a very clever name is Iceland, it is a volcano. It's just that the weather is a bit chilly and the beer is expensive.

Who remembers Surtsey being born in 1963?

Surtsey - UNESCO World Heritage Centre

3. I hope this does'nt turn into a Volcano Arms Race, because there's a BFO one under Yellowstone Park that's long overdue for an orgasm. And scientists reckon the last time it came, the Dinosaurs went...:shock:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Well thank **** there are no Dinos about now then or they would be really panicking.

5. I just hope it waits until next week . Then I'll be "working" in the USA and staying over in a Hotel over crimbo will be such a
    drag.

6. Just imagine all the p1ssed of kiddies and winter sport types when all the snow turns grey or black courtesy of an express delivery of fine volcanic ash.

7. Katia has always erupted on a time scale of months after Ejkalov (or however you spell it..)
    And the geological record shows that when it does, it has been alot bigger, and has been linked to the French Revolution after it killed all their crops.

It'll be interesting if it does go

8. not bothered , can't afford a holiday anyway.

9. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Interesting. So these things kill dinosaurs as well as Louis XIV and the French aristocracy?

Best listen out for Sarkozy telling us to eat cake. Then send in Sharpe's Rifles to establish another century of Pax Britannica (with Prussian help).

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. "Sorry kids, there'll be no prezzies this year. Thanks to the Icelandic volcano Rudolph and the team have been grounded, therefore Santa is unable to carry out any deliveries. Have an orange and a walnut instead. I'm off down the pub."

• Like Like x 1
  11. who wants to bet that it triggers a change in tectonic plate movement, i mean the myans did predict that the world as we know it would cease to exist on the 21'st of the 12 2012 at 1015, one might well imagine that a shift of tectonic plates caused by a massive erruption of magma would indeed classify that as a world changing event XD

only joking the finacila systems collapsing is far more likely, but hey if it does go and produce the same -30 temps across the planet that it did last time i suspect we will as a species survive all be it some of the worlds overpopulation will be missing, tragic as it might be if the world needs ot shed a few billion mouths in order to continue then i'm sure mother nature will take care of it (natural selection is of course the only fair way, as opposed ot what hitler and co tried out which certainly were not fair methods)

meh i'll worry about it when it happens

12. Just in case you didn't see it, it was reported two weeks ago that there is another undersea volcano blowing off the Canary Islands and it seems to be adding another island to the collection. There are several items on Youtube.
    eg: New Island emerging in the Canary Islands

13. Here we go again. Maybe. http://www.ruv.is/frett/expert-likely-no-eruption-yet

http://baering.github.io/

For the last few days I've been watching this site recording seismic activity under Bárðarbunga and gradually the orange blobs have been getting bigger and closer to the surface. Nothing showing yet on the webcam but today might be the day as the dike intrusion is getting significantly bigger and magma is moving from the caldera chamber into the dike.

Almost as exciting as watching orange markers creeping along the Pennine Way map...

• Like Like x 1
  14. I await the man made climate change spin with interest.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Bardarbunga.....was it named after Silvio Berlesconi?

• Like Like x 2