another heart rate monitor thread, but...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by lill, Oct 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. has anybody got, or can recommend a HRM that doesn't suffer from interference ie. the readings going all over the shop when you get near any powerlines, phonelines, etc.?

or is this an anomaly that only the cheapos suffer from?
  2. I personally use the Polar F11, never had any problems with it. It's pretty much the only one I've ever used, so I can't give a comparison to any others.
  3. I use a Garmin HRM device; no problems.
  4. I've only used two, a cheapo, and a Polar. Both suffer from the same problem when for example crossing bridges over railway lines, or coming close to other sources of high voltage electricity.

It's a bit of a pain in the arse, when my pulse suddenly seems to shoot up to 240.
  5. cheers! i might have to try a polar, instead of the thing i've got at the minute.

Tartan_Terrier, it's the opposite with me, my heart's usually about to explode from my chest and the hrm will be showing a pathetic bpm, 80 or so... :)
  6. I've used a polar one (M- series i think, long lost at the back of a drawer somewhere) and a cheapo one, the polar worked much more reliably in the gym with less interference, my running routes didnt take me past powerlines etc. However as far as using one near powerlines, i seem to remember something from A&P lessons about power lines creating a electromagnetic field around them (geek mode off) so that may be the problem rather than what make it is.

As an aside i gave up using a HRM as i found i gained more just by running at a certain rate of perceived exertion, as heart rate training zone are pretty arbitary limits.
  7. Unfortunately power lines give off electro-magnestic interference and as such will interfere with your HR monitor.

There's not much you can do to obtain a perfect signal, other then put the reader directly above/on the heart strap that you wear.
  8. I've never had a problem with my Polar F4, does eveything I could want it to.
  9. Has anyone got experience with the Polar H7 Bluetooth Heart Rate Sensor where you link it to the Polar App on your iphone?
  10. I don't bother with a HRM these days, having had one heart attack I reckon I will recognise the symptoms if it stops....
  11. i just get freaked out when my face goes bright red and i cant breathe (as well) wasnt sure whether it was psychological or actually physical so figured a HRM would make me carry on if my heart rate wasnt that bad!?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  12. Ok I just figured using a HRM you could guage when pyschological barriers were setting in, (and not physical ones) so you could learn how far you could push yourself?
    without taking notice of the pyschological games our bodies play to make us think we cant continue to run.
  13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I've never seen the point of them tbh; on the occasions when I felt it useful, a finger on the pulse for 10 secs is enough. Perhaps if you're aiming for Olympic glory, they may be a useful tool. Otherwise, you're just buying into a marketing man's game.
  14. Cheers, I will take your advice, not bother getting one and save my money! sorted.
  15. but for those of us not knocking at deaths door...

As botherton lad said. HRM are very good if you want to be a serious runner, as they help you train with certain HR/lactate thresholds.

However in your case, I'd save your money. Your body has all sorts of mechanisms to stop you before you do any serious damage, for example your legs will tire and collapse out on you first if you really push yourself too hard.

Heavy breathing is your body getting o2 to your working muscles and your skin turning red is your blood coming to the surface to help keep your core cool. Both are perfectly normal and safe reactions.

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.