Another Half-Arrsed Effort from the French

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Idrach, Oct 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Instead of rounding them up and shipping them back to Clearwater, the French have merely fined a few Scientologists and handed out one suspended sentence. You do have to say they've hit them in what they truly believe in, the Holy Bank Balance but, please, "Next time, Gentlemen, we want to see a significant improvement"!

I apologise to any Frenchmen straying past this thread for referring to them as 'gentlemen'.
  2. bit rich considering britain welcomes them dont you think idrach? they have a lovely large building in london which was opened by the mayor i seem to remember :/ i think we also have more churches than anyone else in europe.

it is certainly a missed opportunity tho.
  3. Well, not being a Code Law country does give us some disadvantages when dealing with false religion charlatans (or even real religion charlatans - various Islamist threads passim.) I thought Miscavaige opened the new London Org (although there was a City of London Alderman present - Ian Luder?). God, I hope we aren't the home-from-home in Europe. Mind you, when I was a student, I used to get leafleted by them on a regular basis while walking in Edinburgh. I always claimed to be a trainee psychiatrist, which shut them up fairly quickly.

This is also quite interesting:
  4. oh yes every few months i get a leaflet with their personality test included, i believe they rent a few rooms above the local blockbuster. Ian might be who im thinking of certainly remember it being opened with the city of london rep officially welcoming them >.<. brown envelopes all round i think
  5. It was only a loop hole in the law that stopped them from banning them and they are already making an effort to close it. They are certainly doing a better job than we are in sorting out nutty religions methinks.

Le Linky
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Good on the French. They hit the nail on the head with their description of it as a purely money-making exercise.
  7. Don't give a flying f**k one way or the other. How does this "religion" differ from any of the others? Believe in some sort of sky pixie who will save you and give us money. Same meat different gravy as my mum used to say.
  8. I believe it was started by some bloke who also wrote comic books? Go figure......

We'll be having Jedi temples next!
  9. it's odd. I'm an atheist, but was brought up to be sort of C of E.
    I should treat all religions like the bollox they are, but for some reason Scientology seems more bizarre than the invisible sky fairy lot... guess it's a case of the devil you know?
  10. Ron Hubbard - who wrote crappy science fiction.
  11. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Well, that and the fact that (to the best of my knowledge), the C of E don't generally charge you several thousand pounds to progress to the next level of anglicanism.

The additional info that Hubbard pretty much admitted it was all a con before he was promoted to Theta makes it hard to believe anyone would buy it.
  12. whats wrong with the french these days?
    They handed out a mega shoeing to the Huguenots in the 1700's or what about the poor effing cathars at carcassonne in the 13th century - neither of those poor effers had really done anything to deserve it ... but find a bunch of grade A money grabbing cnuts and the french come over all fluffy!
  13. Oh God,I feel a Dan Brown blockbuster/bestseller coming on.
  14. You mean that my internet offer to promote to Archbish for only £10k is not kosher?

Feck! :(

15. may not equate to the same as the Scientology scam, but I know some Christians who happily pay a tithe to their church.... Their pastor drives one hell of a merc :wink: