• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Another Gurkha gets dumped on

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=475874&in_page_id=1811

A Gurkha soldier has been forced to accept a £100 payoff after being discharged from the British Army following 18 years of service.

Rifleman Padan Limbu - who was badly injured after being shot during a training exercise almost five years ago - has also been made homeless after Army chiefs told him: "We need your room back."

There was anger yesterday at the treatment of a soldier who served Britain in East Timor and Bosnia during his long career.

Last night, a few hours after being ordered to leave Shorncliffe Barracks in Folkestone, Kent, he was staying with friends and trying to find a bedsit.

"I can't believe it," he said. "I have given 18 years of my life to serving Britain and the British Government and I can't believe how I have been treated."

Mr Limbu, 39, was left unable to serve on the front line after being hit in the back of his calf by a stray bullet during training in Canada in 2002.

He claimed last night that he had repeatedly pleaded to be allowed a desk job with the Army, but his requests had been turned down.

Last night, he said he will take the Army to an employment tribunal and claimed he had been tricked into signing release forms.

He had been told if he failed to do so he would be sent back to Nepal and would also have to pay his own airfare, he added.

He is being supported in his battle by the Gurkha Welfare Trust, but in the meantime he will have to find his rent, food and other living costs out of his pension of around £130 a month.

His treatment comes only six months after an apparent victory for the Gurkhas when the Government finally agreed that those who joined up after July 1997 would receive a pension equal to their British counterparts.

"The British government like to say that things have improved for the Gurkhas, but what has happened to me shows there is still discrimination," said Mr Limbu.

"I was on crutches for four and a half years while I tried to recover. But I was just told that if I didn't sign my discharge papers, I would be deported. I felt I had no choice."

Gurkhas' rights campaigner Peter Carroll - a Liberal Democrat parliamentary candidate - said he is backing Mr Limbu's case.

Mr Carroll said anyone who knew of the role the Gurkhas play in the Forces would be horrified.

The MoD insisted the Rifleman had been correctly dealt with and may be eligible for help with accommodation and disability payments.

P

Pharscape81

****ing hell, I'm surprised the Nepalese still want to help us after what this country has done to some of them

what is it that this Government misses? Gurkhas have been giving the Crown faithful service, since before the Indian Mutiny! Someone realy needs to have a large boot shoved where the sun does not shine for this sort of thing. AGAIN!

Such a pity his injury was a bullet wound in the leg and not a bruised thumb from too much typing!

Bravest of the brave most generous of the generous, never had country more faithful friends than you

From the Daily Mail so pinches of salt all round, but even so why are we still incapable of giving these men British citizenship when they leave the Service? At a time when governmental support for British servicemen is at an all time low, this sort of case plumbs new depths of irresponsibility.

Out of interest how much would some jobless chav waster get in benefits a month (not including his side interests in twocing)?

Just as I was having a good day!

Bat Crab - accepted. But to quote the old anti-war song

"When will they ever learn?"

I would like to say its unbelievable but it is believable. This (and previous) Govts have treated the Gurkhas appallingly and its time to stop it.

Pharscape81 said:
* hell, I'm surprised the Nepalese still want to help us after what this country has done to some of them
It's because they given false information, promises of a better life ahead, and they will be looked after by a GREATFUL GOVERNMENT :( ....NOT.

Who put these faceless morons in these jobs..Osama bin Laden? it certainly was'nt the British people surely!!!!

engr172

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Bat_Crab said:
From the Daily Mail so pinches of salt all round, but even so why are we still incapable of giving these men British citizenship when they leave the Service? At a time when governmental support for British servicemen is at an all time low, this sort of case plumbs new depths of irresponsibility.

Out of interest how much would some jobless chav waster get in benefits a month (not including his side interests in twocing)?
My bold........exactly my thoughts. This man was serving our country, gets injured doing so, and is then left in the gutter. Which ever little government weasel faced ratfink made this decision should be kicked untill their teeth fall out, the horrible little shiiiiiite........Bad hangover, and then I see this. Barstards the lot of them

Edited for being a biff

spike7451 said:
Just when you think things could'nt get any worse!
Phase 3 anyone?
F*ckin' A, Phase 3. I'm surprised one of them hasn't added a retort to that "Bravest of the Brave quote", along the lines of "...and never were more loyal friends more royally shafted".

We know from recent experience Joe Public appreciates what they've done for us in the past, but give him a choice of tax cuts or mumblemumbleghurkhasmumble and we know exactly how he's going to vote.

"....MoD insisted the Rifleman had been correctly dealt with....."

By reference to what?

A set of discredited rules and an official mindest that would disgrace a banana republic?

Sorry guys, I know I'm going to get all sorts of sh1t for this but:

"The British government like to say that things have improved for the Gurkhas, but what has happened to me shows there is still discrimination," said Mr Limbu.

Where does what is happening to him differ from the treatment given to your average British Tom today? 'Sorry mate, you're unfit for service, off you go'. Fairly standard isn't it?

The agreement with Nepal under which Gurkhas join the British Army states that they remain Nepalese citizens, and at the end of their service are repatriated to Nepal. It was a tripartite agreement, in that our Ghurkas' terms and conditions were supposed to be the same as those recruited by the Indian Army. We're already stuffing that by giving them allowances making their pay up to that of Brits while in the UK, which I agree with as long as it's not regarded as Main Pay but a sort of LOA, and more recently giving them similar pensions to our own people, making our Ghurka pensioners richer by far than the Indian Army Ghurka pensioners when they return to Nepal. There's no question that this guy is not getting his pension, and initially at least that he wasn't offered his travel back to Nepal.

This guy is hanging on for the sympathy vote, which worries me, as I've served with them, albeit a long time ago, and have the greatest respect for them both as soldiers and mates. I would have wanted nobody better to watch my back. However that one word 'discrimination' in the quote above makes me think that we're starting to breed barrackroom lawyers in their ranks, which worries me even more, particularly when it's blindingly obvious our own people are not treated any better. I did see one thoroughly demoralised Ghurkha unit in Singapore during the first Ghurka drawdown in 1970, and it wasn't a pretty sight. I'd hate to think we're breeding more. They're better than that.

I may be totally wrong, but please think hard before jumping on this one. Is it discrimination, or is it the good old 'If you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined' situation that we've always served under? Nobody ever in their wildest dreams thought that life in the Big Green Firm was supposed to be fair!

J25 - I could start beating you up here, but you're entitled to your opinion although I think you're offside mate. However, the "can't take a joke shouldn't have joined" thing is wearing fcuking thin with the service personnel of today and I'm glad I'm long out and not suffering what some of the lads/lasses are going through right now.

On second thoughts, fcuk it, IMHO you're talking out yer arrse and living with a mentality from 40 years ago! It shouldn't happen to ANY serviceman/woman, regardless of whether they're British/Commonwealth/Gurkha of any colour etc. It's just not right after they've served Britain.

With your thinking, just because they routinely flogged Toms up until circa 1860, doesn't mean they have to get the lash today does it? FFS think it through J25. Times change mate and whether you like it or not, its a new world. I joined in the mid 70's and lots have changed since that time. Its the way it is and it sounds miserable enough in todays Army without letting this type of thing pass without comment, or questioning why?

It's not about racial discrimination, its about letting them treat a fellow serviceman/woman like shite. Why couldn't he have become Norman the Storeman etc? I don't think anyone should get tossed if theres any sort of alternate job they could do. Especially when they're so close to their 22, (if that's what Gurkhas do as well?).

As for their pay/pension, they served for it and deserved the same as the rest of us. Just because the Indian Army treated them worse than the poor way we treated them doesn't mean we were, or are better, so fcuk 'em. Nepal is in turmoil and this man has served Britain for 18 years. What's the big issue if he gets treated fairly.

If this PTE is pulling a fast one I'm sure it will come out, but if not then someone needs kicking in the balls.

Lets face it, the government treat people who have done the square root of sweet fcuk all for the country like they shite blocks of gold, so this man deserves better than to be threatened with deportation, given a few quid then told to "fcuk orf" by some tw^t.

The RGR and small associated Gurkha units amount to a small number of men/families in the big scheme of things. They serve Britain, often in operational conflicts. If at the end of the day, they get a decent pension and allowed to stay in Britain, well that's fine with me.

I personally would rather have a Gurkha and his offspring around than some of the waste of skin types that the British chav culture has produced.

I have sent Mr Carroll, the Liberal Democrat parliamentary candidate for Sherborne and Hythe the following email.

Mr Carroll

I read with interest a Daily Mail article about ex gurkha Padan Limbu - This being linked to on the Army Rumour Service. Because it is the Daily mail that reported it I believe that there should be some care taken to confirm the veracity of the article. Since You were quoted in the article could I ask You to do so.

I don't know if You have heard of the part played by the forum in getting Mr Pun VC His right to come to this country for medical treatment or in trying to get Mr Rai the right to remain in the UK, but if the article is found to be correct then the serving and ex servicemen and women of ARRSE may well want to come to the aid of Mr Limbu.

For Your delectation - the thread started about the Mail story.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=75189/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html

Regards

Stephen Walpole
If the Daily hate story is correct then hopefully we will soon know

Sven said:
I have sent Mr Carroll, the Liberal Democrat parliamentary candidate for Sherborne and Hythe the following email.

Mr Carroll

I read with interest a Daily Mail article about ex gurkha Padan Limbu - This being linked to on the Army Rumour Service. Because it is the Daily mail that reported it I believe that there should be some care taken to confirm the veracity of the article. Since You were quoted in the article could I ask You to do so.

I don't know if You have heard of the part played by the forum in getting Mr Pun VC His right to come to this country for medical treatment or in trying to get Mr Rai the right to remain in the UK, but if the article is found to be correct then the serving and ex servicemen and women of ARRSE may well want to come to the aid of Mr Limbu.

For Your delectation - the thread started about the Mail story.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=75189/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html

Regards

Stephen Walpole
If the Daily hate story is correct then hopefully we will soon know
Nice one Sven - how FFS get some sleep :D

Latest Threads