Another glimmer of common sense? Is the tide starting to turn? Maths Education.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Excognito, Feb 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Shamelessly plagiarizing Skunkmeister's thread title, I thought the following article was interesting: - Top (UK) maths pupils 'fail to keep up with world's best'.

Hmmm .... "pushed as they would be if they attended grammar schools". /images/smilies/icon_scratch.gif

I wonder if that might be achieved by actually making them attend grammar schools? A radical notion, I know, but it seemed to work in my day and still, judging by the comment, seems to work now.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go sit down and take a whiff of oxygen before the shock gets to me. =-D
  2. Speaking as a parent with kids that are in the gifted and talented program for maths they push the kids hard in primary but once they hit secondary schools they are let down and have too wait on kids catching up.
    It doesn't matter how much you complain and ask for extra tuition you are then started to look upon as a trouble maker parent.
  3. Another glimmer of common sense? Is the tide starting to turn? Maths Education.

Not even close to it.

I have new neighbours.There kid has just started at the local school.As he has come from a different (better?) school. His first week was spent watching videos as he is so far ahead of the other kids the teachers don't know what else to do with him.
  4. And grateful I am that they didn't when I was a lad! There's nowt wrong with a bit of elitism in the right place. /images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

I think I may detect a certain note of sly humour in your words, but as I am unable to resisting rising to bait and love preaching to the converted (it's a lot easier that way) ...

Grammar schools did provide (and still do in some places) equal educational opportunities. They presented children from the less affluent families with access to the education that better suited their aptitudes and interests. There's no point in giving a child an opportunity that they cannot take advantage of, either because they lack the inherent aptitude or have not yet attained sufficient maturity. It's a waste of everybody's time. It is also a waste of a capable child's life if they are not given the opportunity to exploit their potential. The problem with the Equal Opportunistas is that they frequently don't really mean it, they interpret it in the rather Procrustean one-size-fits-all fashion, but like to shorten it every now and again so they don't have to stretch the more "vertically-challenged".

In my area as a child, all the children who went to the secondary moderns had exactly the same opportunity that I did to take the 11 plus and there were also a number of separately-tested, council-sponsored places at the major fee-paying grammar schools, such as Manchester Grammar, Bury Grammar, William Hulme; fortunately, they only asked me exam questions I could answer correctly and my parents didn't have to pay a penny towards me going to the one I chose.

I don't really care what system is as long as it actually works, but the statistical evidence suggests that brighter children are not adequately supported by the current state system (and don't waste time bringing up isolated examples of where they do - just because somebody's 6' 4" doesn't mean everybody is or can be). I also think we let too many children down by educating them in narrow age cohorts.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Interesting view on this on R4 this am, the schools work towards the targets set by government, C+ passes, and after the summer hols everything drops down a gear, the schools have achieved their targets, and the pupils aren't their problem anymore.

I did a MAPRIC course a few years back, and a reg student said;

'Anything over 60% is wasted effort.'

It was said as a joke, but what we see here is the result of following that line of thinking as an educational doctrine.
  6. I would comment on this thread, but as I was privately educated you are all beneath I was beneath the Head Boy most nights.

I still suffer from crossed eyes to this day.
  7. Said it before on here and I'll say it again. Labours fit of pique over Grammar schools was an act of Educational vandalism that ensured Elitism would continue to be the rule rather than the exception.

The only working class men that got the keys to No 10 were products of Grammar schools. Comprehensive means one size fits all when, quite clearly, it doesn't.