another for the bring-back-the-SLR brigade

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by on_leave, Jan 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As discussed elsewhere, and being of the vintage that carried THE rifle, I never thought the 5.56 packed enough of a punch.

There are now many fine rifles that chamber more effective rounds and are of compact designs which are easier to handle in the confined spaces found in urban environments such as the Barrett REC7 6.8mm, Alexander 6.5mm Grendel or HK 417 7.62mm. All current production and available off the shelf without having to recreate the legendary bang stick.
  2. Interesting, doesn't mention if the target had BA.

RG 5.56 will go through 3mm of steel at 75mm, certainly more, ran out of range time to test further.
  3. Was there this much debate over the qualities of Lee metford .303 cartridge Vs the Boxer Henry .45.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Probably.....just slower and via the letters page of the Times......
    • Like Like x 8
  5. Thro it is interesting that outside the Green zone contacts pretty much always kicked off at 800m with a PKM in our AO and the Yanks in the very hilly area advised dragging every single M21 a unit could find as nothing was in range ever for the M4
  6. IIRC the .303 was due to be replaced during the 1930s because it wasn't deemed fit for purpose but lack of money and it was kept on. The MkVIII was quite frankly an upgraded stop gap to better suit MGs.

Shit, yes I did bite didn't I...
  7. What a shit article. The mongtard appears to forget that a civilian can use expanding ammunition and he couldn't. A V-max to the chest could well have sorted all his targets out.
    • Like Like x 1

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

No, because the Boxer Henry had a bayonet... with some guts behind it.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. I've an idea.

The next crusty cold war warrior that bangs on about the fabled rifle that filled so many tales of yore can take part in an experiment. They can stand there and be shot by both 7.62 and 5.56. Then they can say what hurt more.

We have 7.62 on the battlefield in two forms nowadays alongside 5.56. Both do a job - and do it well I might add.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Some Russian fellow said "A bayonet is a weapon with a worker on both ends" no idea what he means but it made people nod and go 'aye' at the time.
    • Like Like x 2

My bold, you young pup.

Then again, a Russian fellow said: "pour me another drain fluid tovarisch" and it made a nation nod.
  13. It was only mongs at the us army ordinance who insisted against common sense and evidence that the average soldier needed a 1000 yd capability. Hence the british army spent nearly 50 years carrying an over powered rifle the US swiftly binned theres for a 5.56 weapon as did the SAS.
    The m4 is a useful weapon for specific roles its far from perfect.
    Realisticly if your getting into an 800 m firefight a section with SLRS isnt going to be getting much lead on target either:(
    • Like Like x 1