Another family one.

Sorry guys another mystery, this is a chap that is in my family collection, the cap badge looks like Guards but happy to contradicted. Any pointers gratefully received.
Unknown Guardsman.jpg

Cheshires maybe? Hard to tell from an angle as theres no definition of the badge itself.

Rhodesia and Nyasaland Service Corps? East Africa Service Corps?

Though looks more like Indian Army Service Corps.

I'm probably miles off though.

The medal ribbons suggest post-WW1 to me. The badge looks a little tall in relation to its width to be of the Army Service Corps family. I was also inclined to think it looked like Cheshire Regiment (post-WW1) but to me it looks like the badge has a crown in place of the top point of the star, which the Cheshire badge doesn't.

ETA: Possibly Devonshire or Hampshire?

Last edited:
The medal ribbons suggest post-WW1 to me. The badge looks a little tall in relation to its width to be of the Army Service Corps family. I was also inclined to think it looked like Cheshire Regiment (post-WW1) but to me it looks like the badge has a crown in place of the top point of the star, which the Cheshire badge doesn't.

ETA: Possibly Devonshire or Hampshire?
Certainly post-1917 I would say: almost certain that (from left to right) is a 14 or 14-15 Star, (probably) a LSGCM and what looks like a 1911 Coronation medal ribbon, though on higher resolution the Coro ribbon is a bit 'off'.

Having said that, the original plate would appear to have been retouched to enhance the subject's features and an unknowing photographer may have used a bit too much artistic licence with the shading for the ribbons.

See.... it's threads like this that make ARRSE interesting and a pleasure to be a member of.

As well as the occaisional mong baiting.

Certainly post-1917 I would say: almost certain that (from left to right) is a 14 or 14-15 Star, (probably) a LSGCM and what looks like a 1911 Coronation medal ribbon, though on higher resolution the Coro ribbon is a bit 'off'.

Having said that, the original plate would appear to have been retouched to enhance the subject's features and an unknowing photographer may have used a bit too much artistic licence with the shading for the ribbons.
Do you think it might be Star, BWM (after some fiddling with the shading of the ribbon), Victory? That was my guess.

Do you think it might be Star, BWM (after some fiddling with the shading of the ribbon), Victory? That was my guess.
Could be: if so, then the photog totally got it wrong with the VM-completely lost the moiré* effect of the rainbow colours.

*for them thinking WTF is he on about, it's a silk weaving effect that 'waters' the colours so that they run into each other.

Sorry for the delay in replying, there is some writing in pen on the front of the original and most of that has faded out, I am trying to decipher the indentations left...which is not easy.

I think he might be Indian Army - so will go for Indian Army Service Corps. The medal combination is I think a 14/15 star followed by the British War and Victory medals.

He’s much better-looking than you.
No real hardship is it, considering I look like Quasimodo's younger brother...but at least I don't hang round the back alleys of Brighton.