Another eyesight topic!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mborgia, Jul 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First off, sorry for another eye related topic.

Basically, my eyesight is roughly -7.25 in both diopters. Which infuriates me as it basically means I can't get into the army. And as the army is pretty much the only thing that has ever interested me career wise, is a massive kick in the balls.

Anyway, the reason I am posting this is, well, is to see if the glimmer of hope i've still got of joining the army is for pointless.

I am aware that you cannot have laser surgery of more than -6.00 diopters, right? So if I had it, assuming I corrected my vision by only 6.00 diopters, I would be left with a prescription of about -1.25 in both eyes.

If I were to do this, I would then just be able to wear glasses or contacts to bring my eyesight back to normal, like any other person who has a prescription of -1.25, and is in the army?

Hopefully you can understand what I'm getting at! Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

2. M8 i had surgery and i was -7.50 your fine for it, but u do have to wait a year afterwards to apply to join

3. Your prescription exceeds what is allowed for laser eye surgery, period. You need to get a copy of your last eye examination & find out exactly what your prescription is for both eyes. You may very well find that your prescription is within the limits.

A lot of people can have surgery with *high* prescriptions. Unfortunately the cut off for the armed forces is -6.00 to 6.00.

4. The worry is i) it might get worse as you age, so they cut a pattern and then your eye lengthens some more, and ii) the step between the treated and untreated zone is too big.

Your proposed solution potentially attacks the second. If your dark-adapted pupil (scotopic pupil) isn't too big then that is a massive advantage, but saying "my scotopic pupil is 7mm and the treatment zone is 7mm, so my night performance is much better than either a -6D person with 8mm pupils, or indeed someone wearing glasses at -7D with 14% minification of image and glare.............................. Bureaucracies can't make fine nuanced judgments, and indeed maybe they shouldn't try to. My mate ( recruiter) chews the carpet over the things that are done, but then he admits that they have had to get rid of blokes who have big bits missing from their feet, because a doctor decided to conduct a medical without asking them to take their socks off.

Dumb, inflexible rules might be the price you pay for any workable outcome at all.

5. I'm going to sound like a complete geek here, but having just completed a course in optical repair for sights and bino's and stuff, we were taught that normal eye sight is -4 dioptersso if your -7.5D then you only need to be brought back in by 3.5D - well with in the 6D you were told was the maximum surgery.

Hope this helps.

6. I think they probably meant i) 95% are within 4d of plano (ie zero), ii) the adjustment on sights and other items is 4d or iii) blokes in their 30s can manage about 4d of accomodation - they can focus sharp up to 2 feet.

Or something. :)

But normal is zero, or "plano" as the opticians say. (plan-oh)