Another Example of Our President's Deep Appreciation for our Millitary Fallen

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by jumpinjarhead, Jun 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. While I have tried hard to not take too seriously some of the many gaffes He has made in the relatively rare occasions when He deigns to visit His troops, attributing some to just Murphy's Law and perhaps the failure of His teleprompter or staff to adequately prepare Him, (examples of the "minor" gaffes include:

this that made our wonderful "coremen" feel very special at such notice from the Commander in Chief:

and this very appropriate "shout out" (incredibly to a man for having recieved the Medal of Honor when in fact it had been the Medal of Freedom (akin to your Queen or PM confusing the VC with the MBE) at the memorial service for those murdered by the islamic terrorist Major Hasan soon after the event with NOK also present:

this most recent and IMHO appalling (especially for the families of the posthumous MOH recipient) mistake goes beyond the pale of "simple" mistakes and I think demonstrates the true nature of his regard for the troops for whom he is privileged to be Commander in Chief:

This comparison of the ever evil GWB's demeanor at MOH presentation ceremonies speaks volumes (regardless of your political bias against him) about how he respected the military:

compared to the obvious genuine and heartfelt emotion and appreciation of how special the MOH is of our current CinC:

With apologies to those who chastise me (and threaten me with criminal prosecution under our military criminal code) I am too hard on Him, this most recent and profound disrespect cannot go unnoticed. There is simply no excuse at the level of recognition for the highest award for bravery our nation can offer.

2. "Monti, Giunta, all those Italian names sound alike to me"

I met Mr Giunta last July 4th. A fine gentleman. I would suspect he is both saddened and angry about this.

3. As I noted, I cannot imagine how the NOK feel after being assured in the presentation ceremony that "a grateful nation will not forget" and then our own CinC can't even get it straight who is a living recipient from our most recent conflicts---I mean it's not like there are a hundred of them to keep up with AND He just awarded the MOH TO THE WELL-publicized first non-posthumous award that was covered extensively by the media for that very reason.

This goes far beyond a slip of the tongue both because of the length and repeated references in His remarks and the true insight into the way He really regards the military. Again, none of this is a surprise if one does even a cursory review of His statements made as a senator ("air raiding villages") and His background and associations (to the extent we have been able to learn about them due to the unprecedented secrecy He has cloaked most of His past with.

4. The last video of His Holiness the Dope was taken in September 2010 as Chief Master Sergeant Richard Etchberger's (USAF) Air Force Cross was upgraded to the Medal of Honor. He was involved in a top secret Air Force project to establish a radar site in Laos to help the US Air Force conduct bombing missions over North Vietnam and in 1968 we weren't supposed to be in Laos. The site was overrun by NVA and VC and there were only three persons (excluding Etchberger) who were evacuated by helicopter alive. Etchberger suffered fatal wounds however from ground fire and died on the chopper. He was recommended for the Medal of Honor at the time, but President Lyndon Johnson would not approve it because of the embarrassment and difficulty it would cause the Federal Government. He was however given the Air Force Cross and his family were given a cover story. Eventually however Etchberger's sacrifice was given the recognition it was due, and his sons accepted the medal on his behalf from The Community Organizer. President Obozo however was pretty flip in describing CMS Etchberger's sacrifice. He "was only a technician" (as He asserted) and had not received much formal training in combat operations; in fact "he had only recently been given a rifle" It was, however, his desire to take care of the people under him that led him to fight so fiercely. (I guess he must have learned something along the way. ;-) )

The following is the gist of the story from the Air Force Times:

Airman may get MoH for secret Laos mission
    By Michael Hoffman - Staff writer
    Posted : Monday Nov 3, 2008 22:06:14 EST

Pentagon officials told Cory Etchberger that his father died in a helicopter accident in Southeast Asia on March 11, 1968.
    But even at 9 years old, Cory said he felt something was missing in the story when his family was secretly whisked into the Pentagon to accept his father’s Air Force Cross.
    Turned out Chief Master Sgt. Richard Etchberger died saving three Americans fighting off waves of North Vietnamese commandos advancing on a top-secret U.S. radar station in the Laotian mountains, but those details were omitted.
    Four decades later, Air Force Secretary Michael Donley has recommended Etchberger’s Air Force Cross be upgraded to the Medal of Honor. It’s now up to Defense Secretary Robert Gates and President Bush for final approval, said an Air Force official.
    Etchberger was nominated for the Medal of Honor in 1968, but President Lyndon B. Johnson didn’t approve it. Military officials instead awarded Etchberger the Air Force Cross.
    This is where the story gets complicated.
    Johnson didn’t sign off on the award because the U.S. wasn’t supposed to have troops in Laos, and at the time of his death, Etchberger wasn’t technically in the Air Force.
    Before he was deployed to Lima Site 85 — a radar station used to locate bombing targets in North Vietnam and Laos — Etchberger and his wife went to Washington, D.C., along with the other airmen about to go on the secret mission and their wives. There they were told they would be made into civilian employees who worked for Lockheed Aircraft Services as a cover, said Col. Gerald H. Clayton, then the commander of 1043rd Radar Evaluation Squadron, Detachment 1.
    “The site was established and operated by American technicians in a manner designed not to violate the 1962 Geneva Agreements and to ‘guarantee’ the ‘neutrality’ of Laos,” according to declassified top secret Air Force report, “The Fall of Site 85.”
    Clayton hand-picked the airmen in the secret unit and now says Etchberger was one of the first on his list. Detachment 1 was made up of 40 airmen-turned-civilians deployed to radar stations in Laos.
    “I watched him from the time he was a two striper and I was a captain. He was one of the finest men I’ve known,” he told Air Force Times.
    From November 1967 to March 1968, Lima Site 85 — nicknamed Commando Club — directed 507 strike missions in North Vietnam and Laos, 27 percent of all the strike missions in those two areas.
    Sixteen of Clayton’s former airmen joined two CIA operatives and one forward air controller at the radar station.
    They knew they would be discovered, though.
    “The North Vietnamese realized when we were bombing them through overcast skies that they must be coming from somewhere,” Clayton said. “It was just a matter of time.”
    North Vietnamese soldiers mounted attacks over three months against the radar station.
    On Jan. 13, 1968, two AN-2 Colts rocketed and strafed Lima Site 85, killing some of the local guerillas the CIA paid to help protect it, according to the Air Force’s report.
    The radar station’s location on a steep 5,500-foot ridge made it a tough target to attack, especially with U.S. bombing missions attempting to push the North Vietnamese back.
    But by early March, hundreds of North Vietnamese troops had surrounded the radar site.
    Plans were made to evacuate the 19 Americans and destroy the facility. But in the early-morning hours of March 11, heavily armed North Vietnamese soldiers infiltrated the site by scaling massive cliffs.
    Only seven Americans survived past 3 a.m., and they were backed up against a ledge.
    With rescue helicopters en route, records show Etchberger tended to the wounded while also trying to fight off the advancing enemy soldiers.
    When the helicopters arrived, Clayton said Etchberger loaded the wounded Americans onto the rescue sling as the helicopter hovered over the station. He refused to leave until everyone else was on board.
    Those who survived say Etchberger saved at least four airmen before he rushed onto the helicopter. But moments later, an armor-piercing round ripped through the helicopter’s underbelly, hitting Etchberger. He bled to death en route to an air base in Thailand.
    For 14 years Etchberger’s sons didn’t know the truth of their father’s death, Cory Etchberger said.
    His mother was briefed on the mission when she went to D.C. with her husband, but was sworn to secrecy. Not until the mission was declassified did she tell her sons about what their father did in Laos.
    Two decades later, a group of 1st Combat Evaluation Group veterans called their congressmen and tried to get Congress to upgrade Etchberger’s Air Force Cross to a Medal of Honor. But there’s a law on the books requiring a nomination for the Medal of Honor be made within two years of the act of heroism.
    The group needed a waiver and got one inserted into the 2009 Defense Authorization Act signed into law by Bush this year.
    Congressman Earl Pomeroy, who governs the same district in North Dakota where Etchberger and his family used to be stationed, was one of the first to support its inclusion into the act.
    “In my view, the Medal of Honor is determined by the heroic deeds performed, not the geographic area where they occur,” he said.
    Etchberger’s family and the veterans he served with now wait to see if Gates and Bush will OK Etchberger’s Medal of Honor.
    On Sept. 17, Gates denied the last nomination he received for the Medal of Honor, deciding to award Marine Sgt. Rafael Peralta the Navy Cross for his heroic actions in Iraq. However, one nomination holds no bearing on the other.
    The veterans who support Etchberger said they remain optimistic.
    A memorial was dedicated in September to Etchberger at Barksdale Air Force Base, La., but it’s unfinished. Instead of engraving an Air Force Cross on the memorial’s face, it was left blank in case he does receive the Medal of Honor.
    Etchberger’s family continues to wait, which is something Cory Etchberger said they’ve gotten used to over the years.
    “We’ve waited 41 years,” he told Air Force Times. “What’s another couple of months?”

5. I think Barry would be more comfortable pinning a gong on a drone. UAVs he likes.

6. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

I doubt very much if the Arrse outrage bus will start on this type of fuel - do you not have any walt material involving the Parachute Regiment, medals and hopefully fraudulent charities?

7. I humbly apologize for having distracted anyone from the more important matters that you cite and will try harder to do better in future with more titillating and scintillating material.

In my defense I can but say it was late when posted this and is so often the case for me in the late hours i find myself perhaps overly sentimental. As a consequence, my sensitivities were perhaps misdirected to such unimportant fluff as the extent to which our civilian masters really (honestly that is) appreciate the significance of the military who do their bidding often in ways that defy rational explanation in terms of sacrifice and especially those incredible few who receive the Medal of Honor and as such rightly elicit among most fair-minded military members of any nation (at least those who have been in the crucible of combat) a doff of their caps and a heartfelt "well done."

• Like Like x 2
  8. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

You do realise there was more response here in the thread about biscuits? This fact I think is a clear indication if anyone give a ****.

9. Thank you for pointing out what should have more obvious to me. I hope it did not distract you too much and again apologize for having taken precious moments of your day and obviously some energy to bring this to my attention.

Yr Ob't Servant etc. etc.

10. JJH, If its any consolation, Bliar and Broon were insincere, military-hating cnuts too. Fortunately for us, our Commander-in-Chief is a very nice old lady who's entire family are keen supporters of all things military. So much so that she married a military chap and allows/allowed her sons and grandsons to join up and deploy on ops. Contrast with the offspring of politicians on either side of the Atlantic!

You have my sincere sympathy for the ineptitude and disrespectful behaviour shown by President Banana. Cheer up, elections soon!

• Like Like x 5
  11. Thanks for that BoB.

I thought since I appear to have wasted some ARRSERs time with this thread I would post what I sent in reply to a PM from a thoughtful ARRSER who reassured me to press on in the face of such criticism since it may be helpful to those who get so worked up over some of my posts as either being time-wasters or in some other way apparently gut-wrenching to them:

12. I think it is only one who is saying your post is of no consequence. The fact that your Commander in Chief got it so badly wrong is deplorable. However, our CinC happens to be a little old lady in a big house in London who very rarely, if ever, gets it wrong and treats the British Forces with the utmost respect. Our politicians, on the other hand, like playing Big Military Chief and get it wrong all the time so we are rather used to it. Indeed, the first reference to "corpse man" would have been a triumph for one of our previous deputy prime ministers. Prescott would have probably say mancorp or something similar. (he is now boosting his retirement money, to go with his Lords attendance allowance, by appearing on vacuous game shows. His last attempt to say "vasectomy" had the audience in stitches and had to be edited for him to say "the snip").
    The latest round of defence cuts, politicians telling the military to shut up and even removing defence chiefs from planning committees just shows how the sound bites issued by these detestable politicians cut no ice with the majority of the Forces, serving or ex.
    None of this excuses your Great Leader from such elementary mistakes even though the liberal lefties on this side of the pond still treat him as the Messiah. I take it you won't be voting for him next time round?

• Like Like x 1
  13. I share your pain. I fully understand and agree with the important principle embodied in the foundation of both our nations' governments of civilian control of the military. With that said, however, it is not too much to ask our respective civilian masters ( I will not sully the term "leader") to at least do a bit of research on the military they are too often willy nilly sending into harm's way without an apparent second thought (for real I mean as opposed to the trite and insulting statements they make about how much they appreciate and "care" about the troops).

This is even more important as, with certain notable exceptions like Paddy Ashdown in Parliament and McCain and Webb in Congress, very few of our masters are veterans anymore nor do they typically have any relatives serving.

And no I will not be voting for Him.

14. jjh, if it,s any consolation mate, Barry O'Barmy is just a "One trick Pony", so you wont have to suffer him for much longer, best of luck.

15. I don't want to sound racist, but doesn't your terribly nice president, look rather like the Milliband brothers? Crap haircut, sticky out ears, and the ability to be incoherent in his mother tongue?

Is there an island somewhere where political clones are being bred by a white cat stroking evil master mind? I can only hope that it is Donald Pleasence, at least he had style.