Another Death in Custody Incident for The IPCC to pick up

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Closet_Jibber, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here we go again.

Jacob Michael dies after he was pepper-sprayed and arrested by 'ELEVEN officers' | Mail Online

I love how the neighbour doesn't know the lad who died that well and so can't really comment much but seems to know the officers and how they should do their jobs very well indeed.

I'm hoping if the incident was as she described (That an innocent man was restrained then beaten to death by sworn police officers) that she had the good nature to challenge this/record it in some way.
  2. It would appear in that report, that he was being threatened by someone with a gun.

Why doesn't it surprise me that a firearm is part of the equation. (that's a rhetorical question)
  3. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Wouldn't get too worried. We all know the figures for deaths in custody and convictions.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I thought that but will avoid stereotyping for now...
  5. Not that this is a biased report! Completely middle of the road, what a pile of crap. "Blasted" with pepper spray, not sprayed.
    "Up to 11 officers" What does that mean then, you could say up to ten thousand, does not mean there were that many there!
    Maybe the officers were wrong and if they were they will be hung out to dry.
    I can honestly say that over the years I was at a great many incidents that were then reported in the press. Not a single one was more than 50% accurate!
    No doubt this lad was a pillar of the community who was always buying his mum flowers!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Quite rightly not very high I believe as I am yet to meet a bobby/sgt who wants a dead prisoner on their hands so they quite understandably don't try and kill them and in fact do everything they can such as booking them into hospitals rather than cells when they so much as sniff.

Sadly the press and some members of their public will make up their own mind before finishing reading the article.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Sixty

Hey, you're the one positing a theory regarding the reliability of the witness despite you not being there.
  8. Are you sure it wasn't Saif Gaddafi? Oh sorry, this is about the IPCC, not the ICC, a body that has a similar grasp of reality. So easy to get confused these days.
  9. My humble opinion based on the very few facts is I doubt that bobbies intentionally injured/killed this lad as according to the eye witness his arrest took place in full view of the public.

But then the investigation is years and several appeals away from being complete so I'll do my best to bite my tongue until we get some facts.

Edit to clarify: If they're guilty of anything they're quite rightly****ed. The sad thing is even if they're not guilty of anything they're still****ed!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Not at all. I'm merely stating that I am impressed how little she knows about her neighbour who has lived near to her for longer than the several minutes she has got to know the officers but she knows them so much better. It's a skill I need to pick up on if I want to do my job as skillfully as an armchair warrior.
  11. My give 'a **** meter' is teetering on 'Don't give a ****' to 'Couldn't give a shit'.
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Photo title reads: 'Blasted' in the face with pepper spray! Surely they used pepper spray not pepper blast :) Oh, shockadoodledo; it's the Mail!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Maybe she could set up a course or some classes on how to make a lightening fast, unbiased, accurate assesment?
  14. Sixty

Where, in the article you linked to, does it say she knows the officers? I read it as her describing what she'd seen.

While acknowledging all of the obvious flaws in taking a highly charged witness account at face value, you still come across as reading what you want to into it without recourse to facts.
  15. It's about time civilians are held as accountable as the Police for their actions, even if inoccent. Why are Police re-actions to actions looked at so hard? They have a right to defend themselves using reasonable force but I wonder if this is being undermined.

Edited to add;

You kick off against the Police and later die, your fault. Simples.

We don't live in some crazy backwater country, you will almost certainly regardless of your crime walk away thanks to years of pandering to the Left. You will regardless of what some people seem to think get a fair trial. There, even if you have done bugger all wrong (Given the alleged situation), is no reason to resist Police arrest.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.