Another copycat attack at Westminster?

Thanks very much mate, agreed. Yet we've to be frank an imbecile (although quite a bright one apparently), in the form of Bravo_Bravo who simply slams the "OLD" button when anyone dares mention (or even allude to) this.
A somewhat bizarre response from him considering his standard tired ploy of hoisting the (somewhat shabby) IRA whataboutery flag whenever current incidents of a terrorist nature are debated on Arrse.

Last edited:
The idea that Republican terrorism on the Mainland was much worse than the Jihadist threat has been mentioned multiple times in these threads.

A quick total of the Republican murders from this list comes to 102 from 1970 to 1996. List of terrorist incidents in Great Britain - Wikipedia

Obviously it is a Wikipedia list so may not be exactly right.

According to this Global Terrorism Database Jihadists have killed 126 people in the UK from 2000 to 2017.

Not convinced either is 100% right but it does show that the threat from Republicans on the Mainland was not 'much worse', especially when you consider almost half of those killed by PIRA in England were soldiers and almost all of those killed by Jihadists were civilians.
Change the lens to GB and NI, and the whole thing tips on its head, given estimates of circa 1,850 true civilian deaths (excl SF and known active members of terrorist organisations). Let's take that down to 1,500 to make an allowance for SF rather than terrorist related deaths. Ballpark only, but

1,500 / 40 (years) = avge 37.5 per year.
126 / 17 years = 7.4 per year.

5 times more likely to be killed by an Irish terrorist than a Muslim one (on average deaths per year basis).

Lies, damned lies and statistics. ;-)

Of course. But the statistical probability is miniscule. I am at far greater risk driving my car than I am from this, and I work and travel through some very high profile areas.

This is no different to Irish or any other terrorism - the use of violence against innocents to attempt to drive a change to suit a particular opinion or cause. Whether that cause is religious, political or anything else is irrelevant to the victims. Dead is dead. This is just a changing nature of attack to reflect the fact that "spectaculars" are now getting detected more frequently.
I don't agree. Though mass casualty attacks against civilian targets were sometimes a feature of Irish terrorism, there was always some attempt to rationalise the link, they were not a consistent tactic and they were recognised and opposed by some in the terrorist organisations themselves as being counter-productive.

The kindly folk we're up against this time round don't care who they kill as long as they rack up the highest possible body count. They also don't care if they themselves survive the attack. For example, had Islamic terrorists been involved, the St Mary's Axe bomb would probably have gone off at lunchtime and killed a lot more than three.

This isn't to apologise or make excuses for terrorist pondlife from the Emerald Isle, merely to point out that, in my view, we're dealing with a very different beast.

Last edited:
Change the lens to GB and NI, and the whole thing tips on its head, given estimates of circa 1,850 true civilian deaths (excl SF and known active members of terrorist organisations). Let's take that down to 1,500 to make an allowance for SF rather than terrorist related deaths. Ballpark only, but

5 times more likely to be killed by an Irish terrorist than a Muslim one (on average deaths per year basis).

Don't have good access at the moment, on a tablet with dodgy connectivity, but how many of the deaths on those Irish stats were caused by Loyalist, rather than Republican, terrorists? Lies, damn lies and statistics?

Last edited:

Almost all of the attacks by Jihadists (and all of the ones that have caused fatalities) have been in England, almost all of the PIRA attacks on the Mainland were in England, so I was trying to compare like for like.

If you want to look at it that way you could just use the statistics from Scotland and say there is no chance you will be killed by a terrorist of either type.

Absolutely a different beast, and yet similar in so many ways. If the IRA had tried to launch the Baltic Exchange attack today, it would probably never have happened at all as they would stand a much greater chance of being detected and interrupted.

Their profile in NI was different again. Many of the deaths inflicted were just about killing people within the part of the population they didn't align with. They just wanted to rack up the body count.

Any way you bake it, dead is dead and the families mourned. I thought Irish terrorists were scum, and I think Muslim terrorists are scum. I didn't insist that all Irish were driven from the country or had their basic rights revoked, and I won't be doing the same to Muslims.

Almost all of the attacks by Jihadists (and all of the ones that have caused fatalities) have been in England, almost all of the PIRA attacks on the Mainland were in England, so I was trying to compare like for like.

If you want to look at it that way you could just use the statistics from Scotland and say there is no chance you will be killed by a terrorist of either type.
Exactly. Lies, damned lies and statistics. You can make them say whatever you want to.

No, the cholesterol would get you first. ;)

A somewhat bizarre response from him considering his standard ploy hoisting of the (somewhat shabby) IRA whataboutery flag whenever current incidents of a terrorist nature are debated on Arrse.
Just pointing out that dead is dead, regardless of "justification", dear.

Unfortunately I can't give you a direct pointer as I'm away from my books at the moment, but Peter Hopkirk wrote a fascinating series of books on Victorian/Edwardian colonial history which includes a 100 years too early description of Indian terrorist cells in London (from memory a specific reference to a clandestine small arms range on Tottenham Court Rd), and are a cracking read.
Is the book you are referring to “Like Hidden Fire”?

Exactly. Lies, damned lies and statistics. You can make them say whatever you want to.
I am not trying to make them say anything. The terrorist threat in NI was completely different to the threat on the Mainland. I was just comparing attacks in England to attacks in England. If you want to add in all the fatalities from NI you might as well add in every Brit killed by Jihadists in Africa and the Middle East and see what the numbers say then.

Indeed and an alalysis of WW2vs WW1 in early 1940 would have suggested 'this one will be a piece of piss lads'.

The jihadis are just getting started. How we win without resorting to very unpleasant methods I have no idea but till jihadism is in the past there is little point comparing body counts.

The whole comparison of IRA vs Radical Islamist body count is a moot point. In the past decade and a bit they have been on hiatus and who knows what lays ahead with them if Sinn Fein loses its ground in NI. The main focus at this moment in time should be on the group who is carrying out these attacks in the present. Dead may be dead, but stopping murders by radicals should be priority be they Muslims or any other region.

Sky are reporting that the "Car is a silver Fiesta, and has an MoT until May next year". So that's OK then, it was road legal. Bizarre factoid.

My bold Ahh but did he have the proper insurance ? I mean think of all those compo claims :)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
We can all sleep peacefully now, Kay Burley is on the scene!

The blithering dumpling David Lammy MP has yet to make an appearance, offering excuses, blame shifting, getting all outraged and fallacious.