Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Chinese rip-off?

This airplane first flew( allegedly) on Saturday 29th August 2020.

It looks someone has been stealing and selling Grumman E-2 Hawkeye plans to the Chinese.

I hope the Feds arrest the communist traitor.

It looks someone has been stealing and selling Grumman E-2 Hawkeye plans to the Chinese.

Selling???

Half the Choggies that come over and do post-graduate qualifications (masters/PhD's) at western universities are quietly at it on behalf of the MSS. I look at the financial institutions the wife has worked at and all of the clever financial risk management teams have been made up of Choggies, not UK, or US Choggies, just imported Choggies. The ones at her present job all bugger off back to China for their holidays every year and jabber away in their native language socially and at work. You don't get a better look into a banks finances than through the financial risks team.

The information gatherers are generally not spies like James Bond, or with diplomatic covers, or even trained NOC's, in most cases, they are just people who for one reason or another sometimes pass information to the MSS,.........,FSB/GRU, or QUDS. Chris Simmons, a retired counter intelligence bod from the CIA, stated on CNN, that there are an estimated 100,000 individuals who fall into the loose classification of "spy" living/working in the USA.

Last edited:
Selling???

Half the Choggies that come over and do post-graduate qualifications (masters/PhD's) at western universities are quietly at it on behalf of the MSS. I look at the financial institutions the wife has worked at and all of the clever financial risk management teams have been made up of Choggies, not UK, or US Choggies, just imported Choggies. The ones at her present job all bugger off back to China for their holidays every year and jabber away in their native language socially and at work. You don't get a better look into a banks finances than through the financial risks team.

The information gatherers are generally not spies like James Bond, or with diplomatic covers, or even trained NOC's, in most cases, they are just people who for one reason or another sometimes pass information to the MSS,.........,FSB/GRU, or QUDS. Chris Simmons, a retired counter intelligence bod from the CIA, stated on CNN, that there are an estimated 100,000 individuals who fall into the loose classification of "spy" living/working in the USA.

Most people here still believe they are all coming to get educated.

They are - but to the benefit of PR China.
Not the UK

Yokel

LE
Most people here still believe they are all coming to get educated.

They are - but to the benefit of PR China.
Not the UK

Most of them are not intelligence agents. Why should they not be able to attend Universities here? Most students do not have access to sensitive information or equipment, except perhaps post graduates doing research who are vetted.

Paranoia is often counter to genuine security.

By the way, a subscription to one of the aviation magazines would have given them a diagram of the Advanced Hawkeye and its parts

Cruthin1967

Old-Salt

PLA procurement is basically just Wish.com: cheap knock offs, delivered quickly, actually shite.

Yokel

LE
PLA procurement is basically just Wish.com: cheap knock offs, delivered quickly, actually shite.

There are key technologies that exist in the hands of Western companies, militaries, and governments that we take measures to protect. People who work on them, including university researchers, go through the full vetting regime.

Equipment for launching aircraft from a ship, or landing back on, and adaptations for aircraft, is on the list of things that cannot be exported from the UK without a licence.

Same with selling underwater equipment to Russiw or China is also controlled.

Last edited:
Most of them are not intelligence agents. Why should they not be able to attend Universities here? Most students do not have access to sensitive information or equipment, except perhaps post graduates doing research who are vetted.

By the way, a subscription to one of the aviation magazines would have given them a diagram of the Advanced Hawkeye and its parts

No they ain't intelligence agents, but it is not difficult for the powers that be to keep an eye on who is where and to get them to do a little information gathering. I look back at some of the stuff that my fellow academics used to post on the faculty web site to keep the world abreast of their findings. Many of them even used to put up links to beta samples of their software................'cos its all for research innit.

The thing is that many of "this weeks new research projects" later become "tomorrows secret research projects", by which time it is too late. With research you also need the ability to mix and match research and pull the threads together to make a novel application. Research projects are like building bricks; pick up one and it is a door stop, pick up a few thousand and you can build a house. Professors have a lazy habit of getting their students to do their research leg work for them by setting them assignments that are looking into the Professors latest consultancy, or research project.

Thread started at 19.25 yesterday and the PRC and Emperor Xi,s official spokesman on Arrse hasn't been along yet to rebutt these scurrilous allegations. Is he on holiday or doing a few black bag jobs for MSS?

Not all Chinese espionage is for national security information. The Chinese efforts in economic intelligence and pure science are huge and broad ranging.

On my side of the big pond; in January University Professor Charles Leiber was arrested. He was immediately suspended by Harvard and his access to the Harvard computer network was cut off. My understanding is that he is not allowed on campus, library access cut off etc.
I should note that "University Professor" is the highest rank in Harvards academic pecking order. There are not many of them.

There is an excellent article in "The Harvard Crimson" about the fall of Doctor Leiber. The Crimson is a student run newspaper but the article is very well written. It goes beyond Doctor Leiber and discusses the Chinese Thousand Talents Plan to recruit researchers. Worth a read I think.
Harvard Crimson - Leiber

Not all Chinese espionage is for national security information. The Chinese efforts in economic intelligence and pure science are huge and broad ranging.

As are those of pretty much every other major national intelligence agency.

Agreed - most of them are not Intelligence Agents. But my post still stands and here's why.
With the exception of revenues earned by their University fees - they take the knowledge away.
After Uni my now ex- wife worked at the Wellcome Institute in Cambridge while doing her PhD with Gonville and Caius College. You are surrounded by bright, young people - mentored by some of the cleverest people - in their field - on the planet. They are all trying to make scientific break throughs - and when they do they get the credit and kudos for it. But any potential monetary value belongs to the Institute.
If you are eg Italian and return home to set up a private Lab and exploit that - you will be pursued for Intellectual Property rights in the Courts - and lose.

If you are from PRC and return there - the State owns that knowledge.
And your life and your body parts and your family etc.

They are - but to the benefit of themselves and their career prospects.
That's more like it.

There's no conspiracy, just people wanting to better themselves and taking their acquired knowledge and skills where it will best benefit them. We could compete for them, we choose not to in most cases.

That's more like it.

There's no conspiracy, just people wanting to better themselves and taking their acquired knowledge and skills where it will best benefit them. We could compete for them, we choose not to in most cases.

I have no problems with individuals bettering themselves.
My issue is with totalitarian States.

Chinese Thousand Talents Program not working as well as Chi wished, most Educated people would prefer not to live in a Communist Paradise.

Of course some will sell their soul to the devil but many of those will be caught too, Harvard or Beijing Polytechnic?

Selling???

Anyhow back to late 2 decades or so when I was completing my aerospace Eng degree in final year.... got talking to mature PhD engineering student in the Library (as she was from PRC but moved over here with kids ..decade beforehand). Couple of weeks later she introduced me to another PhD mature student. Turns out he too from PRC and had worked in their flight Test center (Boscombe Down / Edwards / Pax River equivalent) as civ tech. He actually applied to then Finmeccanica (now Leoanrdo) to sponsor him for PhD to be done either at my uni or Somewhere else. He was going todo flapping wing research similar to what nasa was looking at at the time..

Cheers

Just to underline the Choggie spying thing; I happened to watch an interview with Mike Rogers, former head of the house select intelligence committee, where he was commenting on the threat from China. Apparently the FBI is opening a new Chinese counter intelligence operation every ten hours, and that is only the investigation worthy incidents they know/are informed about.

Additional reading: ===> https://www.newsweek.com/china-number-one-threat-us-intelligence-agencies-say-1527830

Yokel

LE
There is a saying that if you try to protect everything you end up protecting nothing - and this seems to be very true with security. Many public pictures of if the Hawkeye exist, including official ones.

The exterior tells you nothing of the technology inside. The radar technologies are all protected.

Anyhow back to late 2 decades or so when I was completing my aerospace Eng degree in final year.... got talking to mature PhD engineering student in the Library (as she was from PRC but moved over here with kids ..decade beforehand). Couple of weeks later she introduced me to another PhD mature student. Turns out he too from PRC and had worked in their flight Test center (Boscombe Down / Edwards / Pax River equivalent) as civ tech. He actually applied to then Finmeccanica (now Leoanrdo) to sponsor him for PhD to be done either at my uni or Somewhere else. He was going todo flapping wing research similar to what nasa was looking at at the time..

Cheers

Did you establsh whether his motivation was altruistic, personal improvement (remaining in the West ) or personal improvement ( being taken back to the totalitarian State ). ?

That's more like it.

While competing in research could be addressed better by the west, particularly in reduce commercial espionage, it somewhat more harder to compete with free labour...

Latest Threads