Another Bloody Sunday Inquest.

Why the f*ck do Rupublicans always play the 'We're always the victims' card? What about all theose murdured by Republican terrorists? (leaving aside those murdered by loyalist's,which is seperate issue in this case)
About time they lay the past to rest & moved on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/foyle_and_west/8272791.stm

A new inquest is to be opened into the death of a 15-year-old boy shot by the Army in Londonderry in July 1972.

Daniel Hegarty was shot dead in Creggan during Operation Motorman.

An investigation by the Historical Enquiries Team found that the RUC investigation at the time was "hopelessly inadequate and dreadful".

Daniel's sister Margaret Brady said it was "an opportunity to set the record straight and have his name cleared once and for all".

"He was an innocent 15-year-old boy who was murdered by the British Army and the RUC," she said.

The HET report concluded that Daniel and his two cousins "posed no threat whatsoever" when the soldiers opened fire on them.

It also concluded that the boys were not armed, that Daniel was shot at close range, and that the soldiers did not give a warning as they had claimed.

Apology

The HET also found that the RUC's map of the scene incorrectly placed Daniel 70 feet away from the soldiers when he was shot at a range of less than ten feet.

The HET has submitted a new file to the PPS, and has called on the British government to apologise for Daniel Hegarty's death.

Paul O'Connor from the Pat Finucane Centre, which has supported the family, said the decision to hold a new inquest "could have far-reaching consequences for many families who never saw the truth emerge at inquest".

"The soldier who shot Daniel may be called to testify, and counsel for the family would have an opportunity to question his actions."

In 2007, the Ministry of Defence apologised to Daniel's family for a document which incorrectly described him as a terrorist and claimed he had been armed.

The MoD said it accepted Daniel was innocent and that the reference to him as a terrorist was inaccurate.

spike7451 said:
Why the f*ck do Rupublicans always play the 'We're always the victims' card? What about all theose murdured by Republican terrorists? (leaving aside those murdered by loyalist's,which is seperate issue in this case)
About time they lay the past to rest & moved on.
Because the Republicans want revenge.

No sorry I meant justice. :roll:

Fekkin typical we shoot a terrorist and they drag out another inquest, they shoot one of us and the wonker is already out of jail and probably a member of the fekking Northern Irish Assembly getting paid by the taxpayer and haveing a good book deal in septic land, makes my sick

Spike 7451, I suggest you calm down. Who says this lady is a 'Republican'. The matter is being looked at by the Historical Crimes Team, not the 'Histerical' Crimes Team!

They found enough evidence in the original RUC investigation to suggest that their treatment of this matter was " hopelessly inadequate and dreadful". This is the same team who are still pursuing the murderers of Bobby Nirac.

Several years ago I investigated a sudden death of a person who had been shot in an incident several years before by the army where he had been injured and his friend had been killed. The death was connected to his injuy so the old investigation had to be located.
What was found in the file was the biggest lot of obvious lies and misleading statements from the soldiers involved I have ever seen and the investigation was ,to put it mildly, lazy,shoddy and totally covered up what had happened, basically writing off the incident with "no further police action".
This one sounds similar so it should in my opinion should be looked at again.

Can we afford another enquiry? After all, we're busy switching off the lights and heating to save money - how can we justify anther expensive public enquiry?

Alec_Lomas said:
Spike 7451, I suggest you calm down. Who says this lady is a 'Republican'. The matter is being looked at by the Historical Crimes Team, not the 'Histerical' Crimes Team!

They found enough evidence in the original RUC investigation to suggest that their treatment of this matter was " hopelessly inadequate and dreadful". This is the same team who are still pursuing the murderers of Bobby Nirac.

Spike is just right. This latest farce will just like the one before it, a waste of time, effort and money. I'm sure this lad was just out getting milk for his ill grandmother.

I guess, put yourself in the relatives shoes. Let's assume he was an innocent bystander and shot without good reason, wouldn't you want his name cleared? And, if you're comparing killings by Republican terrorists to the Army, what does that say? We know one acted illegally but the other shouldn't, after all.

Compared the the MP's unfair expense claims the cost of the inquiry will probably be peanuts.

It's not an inquiry, though - it's a new inquest. These are relatively unusual, but nothing new and very, very unlikely to cost millions like Saville is doing unless there's some spectacular c*ck-up.

Both sides here have a point.

1. Bloody expensive: I can't stand the "public Inquiry" faction of the "Something must be done" brigade if there are matters surrounding the death that need restating or clarifying surely reopening a coroners enquiry is the cost effective way. They are a standard mechanism for establishing circumstances around deaths and don't require swathes of barristers and millions of pounds. And if it concludes its unlawful murder take it from there.

2. What's it for: The article Spike posted even says there has already been an acknowledgement by the MOD that the victim was not a terrorist so what is the enquiry actually for?

3. Charged statements: Trooper the very fact that you don't make the distinction between a kid "on the way to the store for milk" (to paraphraseone of the posts) and an actual terrorist doesn't help to convince the victims family that their son's name has been cleared.

4. I agree Spike the "I'm a vactam" (excuse the attempts to do the accent ;) ) sounds like a broken record.

mistersoft said:
Historical Crimes Team
Well there you go, there's an existing mechanism in place to deal with the issue. Presumably no need for seperate enquiry. :!:

Deadreckon said:
mistersoft said:
Historical Crimes Team
Well there you go, there's an existing mechanism in place to deal with the issue. Presumably no need for seperate enquiry. :!:

Errrr................... exactly.

Come on Spike whatever this one is it doesn't look like the the usual bunch of grave dancing chuckies.
It was a fifteen year old kid. If the history boys are reopening it I'm sure they aren't doing it for fun or under orders from the deputy first minister

Hmm Google the costs for the "Bloody Sunday" farce sorry enquiry, this has become a significant industry.

As with most things under this government the legal fraternity make a fortune; immigration, PFI.... etc

And shortly those citizens who work and pay their tax will be made to pay for all this :x

YM

Latest Threads