Another Bloody Medal Question!!!!

Discussion in 'Medals' started by lookslikeayeti, May 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know if you can have a Gallantry Award upgraded? I have been asked because of an incident where other personnel recieved higher awards simply because they chain of command took a dislike to somebody.

2. What? Are you asking that if someone is awarded something like the Air Force Cross, and they don't like it, can they have a GC or VC instead?

3. medal envy goes up a notch!

4. So having a gallantry award that 99.5% of the army, let alone the population, doesn't have isn't good enough? He must have had a spine to get it, tell him to ask for it back.

5. I'm going to see if I can get my Battle of Jubilee medal upgraded to an OBE then. I deserve it.

6. Can I get my Silver Swimming Award medal upgraded??

7. I did, I gave Labour a (cough) donation and it was upgraded to a Knighthood for swimming services!

8. Is your name Len Fairclough???

9. There are cases were a medal previously given has been changed - I would say upgraged is the wrong word.

I am thinking of the Albert Medal, Edward Medal and Empire Gallantry Medal being "exchanged" for the George Cross. There are a few cases of this happening.

www.gc-database.co.uk

10. Oh how I laugh! There is however, a serious issue here, so does anybody have a definitive yes or no? The person concerned happens to be my father and I have only just discovered what he did and why he got the award.

11. Tell us bit more and we might be able to help.

12. Upgrades can get out of hand

13. Mike Golden, 20 years time.

14. Perhaps upgrade is the wrong word and should be changed. Basically he was awarded a BEM when the rest of his patrol were awarded a MM due to his OC/CO (not sure what he was at the time) having a personal vendetta against my father. My brother has asked me about this and as far as I am aware has no knowledge that we are enquiring. So is it yes or no?

15. You need to give us a bit more - plus, and forgive me if I am wrong, then the BEM could also be awarded for bravery AND leadership (in much the way as the DSO is).

If that's the case then maybe he did something above the recognition of the MM.