Another Apache down?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by TheLordFlasheart, Feb 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Reports of a US Apache coming down north of Baggers.

Only on ITV news page at present with little detail.

Hopefully ITV are as accurate as usual and it's a non story.
  2. Bugger they not having much luck at the mo! Hope all are ok
  3. This on the day when the Americans has formally accused the Iranians of aiding the insurgents with weapons and training.
  4. Hope this helps...

5. The insurgents certainly have upgraded their AA capability - and the only way they could realistically have done that is through Iran
  6. Comrade Sven puts 2 and 2 together and gets 49 - again! :x

8. Really?

RPGs can still hoof a cab out of the sky and those can be purchased on AllahachBay ffs.

I'll bet you believe the US's latest document proving Tehrans part in it all. I think its the second part to the novel 'WMD's, Iraq and Saddam'.

Again, any proof Svenski?

BTW, it's good to see the report was unfounded re the Apache.
  9. Merkator, why have you changed your nick-name?
  10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

good grief've never worked in the Arms business have you? I have.

I remember being asked by a (British) arms dealer whether he should buy some (U.S) supplied Stinger missiles back in the late 80's/early 90's......he was a bit concerned because they were originally supplied by the CIA to Mujahideen in AFG ......Stinger might be old but it would probably still do the biz for Apache. SA7/9 even more freely available for wads of shrink-wrapped CPA dollars.....

Iraq is awash with weapons of every description and has long and porous borders........MANPADS could equally have come from Syria,Turkey or China...take your pick. Only the very credulous will finger the Ayatollahs every time some bad sh1t goes down in Iraq.

The Cousins have been itching to get some serious stick time in with Iran since 1980......roll on a 'Gulf of Tonkin' type incident ( God preserve us)

....and be with the aircrew concerned.

Le Chevre
  11. Doesn't apache have radar lock on warning? Which would alert the powers that be that the insurgents used sams (and the type if the aircrew had enough time to get a warning off) Whilst I bow to Your superior knowledge, I was under the impression that they were knocked down using a 23/4 type machine gun arrangement. Less handy for smuggling from the North or West.
  12. I find it very difficult to believe that the Iranians are not involved at some level - even if its only a bloke sitting watching and taking notes for his AAR. However, I also find it difficult to believe that they'd be daft enough to help in an obvious and easily detected manner.

As has been pointed out, the locals are both motivated and equipped to give the US a hard time. But it does seem mighty convenient that just as the US starts to ramp up the rhetoric one of their iconic weapon systems starts to fall from the sky in flames. I think the Iranians are sending a subtle message for the US to back off, a message that they're prepared to go all the way, that they're equipped and motivated to inflict mass casualties on the US. I also think the US will miss it completely as their current belief driven policies are by definition immune to the real world.

And as for radar, the most likely candidates are all IR homers so no radar emissions to provide warning.
  13. Strange makes a good point. Since the US started taking the gloves off, the incidents of ac being shot down have increased markedly. Are we entering a new phase here?
  14. It might be all coincidence, but didn't the USSR loose in Afghanistan largely because of US supplied Stingers? Sadly, what goes around comes around. I think that the USSR lost up to about 400 aircraft in total (please correct me as I am not sure.).

God bless the US and British aircrew.
  15. 'Bout as much use as a chocolate teapot if the 'missile' is in reality a line-of-sight fired RPG or a passive-IR guided SAM. :x