Another 23 SAS Selection Thread

Crazy_Chester

Old-Salt
Hi guys
I have a fresh update on this, it may help someone. So after a LONG time of sorting things and appealing I am on the right path. I am on BAC in November and Hills in Jan. Had a pal attend the last BAC. He gave me the breakdown which I will share here. SAS (R) candidates no longer complete Selection Induction Weekend (SIW) and go directly to the BAC at H with the regular hopefuls. BAC was as below and this was my friends tips:

Day 1
Admin + briefs and Nav test.
Tip
Learn time, speed, distance triangle.
Learn your time for set distances i.e 100m, 500m 1km
Get good at GMA, this will throw you out if not on point.

Day 2 (first 3 are directly after each other)
8 miler 25kg 1 hour 50 min
2 miler 15kg as fast as pos
1.5 mile in boots as fast as possible.

Swim test
(10m entry, get out the pool and put on webbing and weapon, 3m entry, tread water 9 mins, swim 4 laps of the pool, pass kit and weapon out of the pool without touching the sides. Climb out and move to another lane. 10 lengths best effort get out move to next lane and retrieve a brick from the bottom and swim a length underwater. You can fail one part of the swim test and get an Amber. If you don’t jump on 10m entry you stand up fail.)
Interviews

Day 3
24km DS lead March 25kg over black mountains.

Day 4
28km best effort chasing DS at 4kph

If you pass then you will join hill phase. This is 3 weeks (4 weeks of needed to isolate for a week due to Covid etc). 3km/h pace however most of the reserve guys are at the regular 4km/h pace.

Pass hills and you have a week off before mobilising for 6 months. In the 6 months you will complete SOPTAC (SOP’s and Tactics phase) this culminates in Resistance to Interrogation. If you pass you’re then badged and immediately go through your SF jumps course, HGV, Medic, SERE, SF Comms/signals course and much more. On completion of all of this you’re a deployable Blade .

Hope that helps. Wish me luck
Thanks- very useful.

How has your training looked in terms of build up to this point?

SignalFire

Old-Salt
It will be interesting to see how it works out. Someone in employment is going to find it difficult enough to get that sort of time off but, on top of that there is the whole uncertainty factor, say one has set things up so one could be away for six months from a the end of next week, employer has got it covered but one fell over and got an injury and MW at 0600 this morning, then one is stuck without a job for six months.

Still good luck to you.
But now you're gonna have years in advance to find 6 months off work, Better than having to wait 36 months before you're deployable. At least now you're Deployable straight out of training.

Why would just not do full regular selection as a reservist?

Why would just not do full regular selection as a reservist?
You can’t. Regular selection is for regular soldiers. You can apply for 22 after 18+ months service in 21/23 but have to complete selection again in full.

Thanks- very useful.

How has your training looked in terms of build up to this point?
A mix of compound strength work, weighted walks and runs, trainer runs, recently swimming with a diving belt to replicate swimming with weight. I have also scheduled in some races and challenges along the way such as the Fan Dance Race. I am completing a two day micro-navigation course to refresh my navigation knowledge.
currently I am 4 months away from briefing course and 6 mo this away from hills. My 2km best effort is 8:11, 5km run time is 22:14 and 8 miler best effort with 35lb plus food and water is 1 hour 37. So I have plenty of time to gradually build up further without risking injury etc.

i have attached my early days training plan

Attachments

• 7EFC77CB-6DF1-410D-B8B2-3904E7428440.jpeg
    7EFC77CB-6DF1-410D-B8B2-3904E7428440.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 124
  • C7770F88-A13B-4075-8AF5-878FC62ADDD0.jpeg
    C7770F88-A13B-4075-8AF5-878FC62ADDD0.jpeg
    772 KB · Views: 118
It will be interesting to see how it works out. Someone in employment is going to find it difficult enough to get that sort of time off but, on top of that there is the whole uncertainty factor, say one has set things up so one could be away for six months from a the end of next week, employer has got it covered but one fell over and got an injury and MW at 0600 this morning, then one is stuck without a job for six months.

Still good luck to you.
Yes I feel for those juggling employment and selection. I am fortunate to have my own business and therefore pay my own salary etc. A lot of people are self employed apparently

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yes I feel for those juggling employment and selection. I am fortunate to have my own business and therefore pay my own salary etc. A lot of people are self employed apparently
Sounds like they have finally acknowledged that they aren't just selecting for physical and mental capability, they are also selecting for employability. Full time 9-5ers just aren't available as required. They aren't really selecting for Reservists, they're using the Reserves framework to select additional part-time SF to supplement the regular units. There is a subtle but important difference in expectation for both the soldier and the employing unit.

The program you outlined sounds very sensible.

TC20

Old-Salt
Sounds like they have finally acknowledged that they aren't just selecting for physical and mental capability, they are also selecting for employability. Full time 9-5ers just aren't available as required. They aren't really selecting for Reservists, they're using the Reserves framework to select additional part-time SF to supplement the regular units. There is a subtle but important difference in expectation for both the soldier and the employing unit.

The price for being let back into the Group.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The price for being let back into the Group.
A price is something you have to pay. This is more like a re-joining bonus for signing back up.

It's hardly like they were expelled. Carleton-Smith opportunistically saw a way to cut his SDSR budget without anyone he knew complaining. Chiswell took over and noted that an overstretched commander probably shouldn't bin his reserve. Who knows what will happen on the next season of game of thrones?

skymacuk

Old-Salt
Hi guys
I have a fresh update on this, it may help someone. So after a LONG time of sorting things and appealing I am on the right path. I am on BAC in November and Hills in Jan. Had a pal attend the last BAC. He gave me the breakdown which I will share here. SAS (R) candidates no longer complete Selection Induction Weekend (SIW) and go directly to the BAC at H with the regular hopefuls. BAC was as below and this was my friends tips:

Day 1
Admin + briefs and Nav test.
Tip
Learn time, speed, distance triangle.
Learn your time for set distances i.e 100m, 500m 1km
Get good at GMA, this will throw you out if not on point.

Day 2 (first 3 are directly after each other)
8 miler 25kg 1 hour 50 min
2 miler 15kg as fast as pos
1.5 mile in boots as fast as possible.

Swim test
(10m entry, get out the pool and put on webbing and weapon, 3m entry, tread water 9 mins, swim 4 laps of the pool, pass kit and weapon out of the pool without touching the sides. Climb out and move to another lane. 10 lengths best effort get out move to next lane and retrieve a brick from the bottom and swim a length underwater. You can fail one part of the swim test and get an Amber. If you don’t jump on 10m entry you stand up fail.)
Interviews

Day 3
24km DS lead March 25kg over black mountains.

Day 4
28km best effort chasing DS at 4kph

If you pass then you will join hill phase. This is 3 weeks (4 weeks of needed to isolate for a week due to Covid etc). 3km/h pace however most of the reserve guys are at the regular 4km/h pace.

Pass hills and you have a week off before mobilising for 6 months. In the 6 months you will complete SOPTAC (SOP’s and Tactics phase) this culminates in Resistance to Interrogation. If you pass you’re then badged and immediately go through your SF jumps course, HGV, Medic, SERE, SF Comms/signals course and much more. On completion of all of this you’re a deployable Blade .

Hope that helps. Wish me luck

cheers very helpful

TC20

Old-Salt

Only they aren't (though one can see why a lifetime Regular might think that they might be) they are selecting those young people who can afford (gambling that they will get through as if not they will be out and their pay stopped) to take a year off or 'out', often post education before starting full time employment, together, of course, with some sectors of self-employment.

Crazy_Chester

Old-Salt
They no longer do them with 21 or 23, they need to get them done with another AR unit, on whose strength they will stay until 'badged'.

Thanks for the reply- much appreciated.

That must be pretty thankless for the parent unit. Are recruits now expected to declare that their intention is to leave the unit shortly after CIC? Or is it that civilians can no longer apply and must first join the AR, pass out and then express an interest in UKSF(R).

QRK2

LE
Thanks for the reply- much appreciated.

That must be pretty thankless for the parent unit. Are recruits now expected to declare that their intention is to leave the unit shortly after CIC? Or is it that civilians can no longer apply and must first join the AR, pass out and then express an interest in UKSF(R).

The official wording is: "Applicants with no previous military service will be sponsored out to their recommended local AR unit to complete basic training and gain experience before being allowed to attempt SAS Reserves Selection."

If you contact Them (R) off the street you will be sent to a local AR unit and can be loaded on BAC once you have completed training. This has only been in place for just over a year, it will be interesting to see how it pans out but I expect some units will get rapidly threaders with it and especially picking up the pay bill for them though Aptitude and SOPTAC.

Last edited:

Latest Threads