Another 23 SAS Selection Thread

It's an almost complete different system now, which is hardly surprising given how long ago that individual got through at his second attempt. Weekends are pretty much out of the selection process. You need a civi job that will give you about eight weeks off (probably more in the near future) in two periods over a year.
QRK2 is correct. They have binned off the multiple weekends and brought it in line with the regs. The logic is that (if you can’t get time off for selection and training) you’re not going to be able to get time off for operations in which case - what’s the point in joining????? You need to do phase 1 and phase 2 training (doesn’t have to be CIC but if your infantry skills are not good enough you will be told at pre-selection.

The original question was about timings, allow a bare minimum of 1 year to complete phase 1 and 2 training at a reserve unit and another 1 year for selection. Should you succeed you could be badged around 2 years after being attested

skymacuk

Old-Salt
QRK2 is correct. They have binned off the multiple weekends and brought it in line with the regs. The logic is that (if you can’t get time off for selection and training) you’re not going to be able to get time off for operations in which case - what’s the point in joining????? You need to do phase 1 and phase 2 training (doesn’t have to be CIC but if your infantry skills are not good enough you will be told at pre-selection.

The original question was about timings, allow a bare minimum of 1 year to complete phase 1 and 2 training at a reserve unit and another 1 year for selection. Should you succeed you could be badged around 2 years after being attested

I'm also hearing they are doing away with certain weekends and you go straight onto the BAC with out the assessment weekend, also they are changing the format of the BAC( making it more arduous )

QRK2

LE
I'm also hearing they are doing away with certain weekends and you go straight onto the BAC with out the assessment weekend, also they are changing the format of the BAC( making it more arduous )

As explained before weekends have already almost entirely gone from the selection pipeline, BAC is being tweaked not so much to make it more arduous but to structure it more logically and focus on key skills.

skymacuk

Old-Salt
As explained before weekends have already almost entirely gone from the selection pipeline, BAC is being tweaked not so much to make it more arduous but to structure it more logically and focus on key skills.

It sounds like a bit more than just a "tweak"

if what i'm hearing is correct, the lads will cover nearly a 100k ( in 5 days ) doing various phizz and Nav tests, which sounds more like a mini selection than just a screening test.

To be clear i'm nothing to do with the group, so this is second hand information.
I'm hearing this from lads prepping to go on the BAC.

Maybe they are making it more arduous, to screen out lads/ladies/NSG's that don't stand a chance of passing.

It sounds like a bit more than just a "tweak"

if what i'm hearing is correct, the lads will cover nearly a 100k ( in 5 days ) doing various phizz and Nav tests, which sounds more like a mini selection than just a screening test.

To be clear i'm nothing to do with the group, so this is second hand information.
I'm hearing this from lads prepping to go on the BAC.

Maybe they are making it more arduous, to screen out lads/ladies/NSG's that don't stand a chance of passing.

Interestingly, that's not what the official BAC site is saying. There are well publicised requirements that the BAC cell will issue to individuals, and are also available on the DLE.

skymacuk

Old-Salt
Interestingly, that's not what the official BAC site is saying. There are well publicised requirements that the BAC cell will issue to individuals, and are also available on the DLE.

I've read what it says on DLE and ModNet and i concur, i just don't think they have updated it, i believe the BAC they are running in May/June will be the new format, ( i know lads on the course so will have a better idea after they have attended)

destroyer

Clanker
The BACS was introduced,, because it was deemed that rather than have a lot of people fail over the duration of the course, it would be better to sort out the wheat from the chaff as early as possible. The training is being aligned more with the regulars and whilst some of it will be abridged versions of the regular courses, the 21/23 recruits will get most of their required skills (to be deployable) in a shorter time frame. There will also be a blue package involved in continuation which will make life a little bit more interesting for those coming through.

The BACS was introduced,, because it was deemed that rather than have a lot of people fail over the duration of the course, it would be better to sort out the wheat from the chaff as early as possible. The training is being aligned more with the regulars and whilst some of it will be abridged versions of the regular courses, the 21/23 recruits will get most of their required skills (to be deployable) in a shorter time frame. There will also be a blue package involved in continuation which will make life a little bit more interesting for those coming through.

Bone question from a screamer, if you need to commit to what is essentially a full time selection process similar to the regulars why not just go regular?

Bone question from a screamer, if you need to commit to what is essentially a full time selection process similar to the regulars why not just go regular?

Turn the question around - if you can do a full time selection process as a civvie, why go regular?

oh, and a new DIN has been released with the details in.

Kudos, better terms of service and allowances (LSA) and (if considering it a ‘job’) more job security than the military equivalent of a zero hours contract. A better medical package if selection breaks you than the ‘go and see your GP’ approach in the reserves.

All of the above may be irrelevant to a thrusting potential STAB blade.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
'Better medical package'. You've not served have you.

If mobilised service as a STAB, leading and managing regular soldiers, counts as service then yes I have.

And the RRUs look a pretty good option to me, compared to going on a lengthy NHS waiting list for physio.

Crazy_Chester

Old-Salt
So unless your employer is extremely flexible, UKSF(R) will be limited to self employed, unemployed or students?

Chef

LE
Kudos, better terms of service and allowances (LSA) and (if considering it a ‘job’) more job security than the military equivalent of a zero hours contract. A better medical package if selection breaks you than the ‘go and see your GP’ approach in the reserves.

All of the above may be irrelevant to a thrusting potential STAB blade.
I've no doubt STAB will continue in use for many years yet. However it's been the Army Reserve for a few years now. SARB if you will.

All part of the 'One Army' approach, snigger;)