anonymous Welsh Guards captain in paper today?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Poppy, Aug 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I vaguely heard on Today this morning that a Welsh Guards captain has written in one of the papers today - does anyone know which paper?

2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

not anonymous for long methinks...

3. An interesting article but I didn't know what he meant by "shotvarfet" at the end so I googled it. The first hit was an English Lit exam from 2003 which contained the final scene from Blackadder Goes Fourth, just as they go "over the top". I'd forgotten just how powerful that scene was, I was surprised to find a mote of dust in my eye. Extraordinarily good writing.

4. He has lost his bottle and should be replaced asap. He is clearly unfit to be in command of troops at war.

5. The captain tells the truth. ----- Fairplay to him.

6. Um, he explains what it means in the article. 'Not worth it'.

7. From The Ghost Road, isn't it?

8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Note: Member of the WG BG - NOT a Welsh Guards Officer.

This was not written by a Guardsman - too many long words........

No, in truth, there must be well over 1,000 Men in the BG, and this chap is certainly an Officer, but equally certainly not a WG Officer.

Intersting article, mind you, and something that suits the Indy down to the ground.

9. sucks teeth, shakes head

10. And you know because...............?

11. A very good article, i doff my hat to the man with the stones to write it, knowing how much it could come back to him.

12. Are you for real or do you really not understand what is going on in Afghanistan?

He is describing what is going on over there and the fact that the situation is difficult to deal with, its irrelevant what rank/position you hold, loss and injuries are difficult to cope with.

Have you been? Are you still even serving? Are you mental?

13. 'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.'

(1984, George Orwell)