Anonymous Threaten To Hack Met

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr_Fingerz, Jul 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. Well they claim these "explosive revelations" will happen today. So they'd better get their fingers out(see what I did there?^_~). Because I have'nt felt any tremors in the Force yet and the day is more than half over.
  3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Well, it was nearly dark 'o' clock when I originally posted. And you're right. This is either a massive FAIL!, or a wind-up.

I'm beginning to suspect the latter.
  4. The Indie is reporting that Anonymous has released 90,000 email addresses it claims belong to members of the US military, stolen in a cyber-attack on a government contractor.
  5. Anonymous don't attack people they have a problem with. They identify high profile soft targets and find a reason to have a crack at them.
  6. Anonymous?

Aren't these the cyber-kiddies who threatened to bring down the world unless Julian Assflange was released?

Little boys who need to get a girlfriend instead of their right hands.
  7. Blah, Blah, Blah. Some of these these script kiddies believe that the internet is a kind of distant planet where they can hide and behave like poltergeists in the tunnels of the web. Silly twats. If they do manage to get into the Met system watch them get lifted like dead meat on a butchers hook.
  8. You'd think so wouldn't you ? But I wouldn't bet on it. One of the things that the current wave of silliness had revealed is that far, far too many organisations who should know better have shit computer security. All too often this sort of thing is handled by contractors who get the job for being the lowest bidder while being monitored by staff who have no idea of the implications of their decisions.

Trouble is, computer security is difficult to understand. Analogies to physical security are pointless and often counter-productive. The details matter, something seemingly trivial can make the difference between being wide open and being secure. Nearly all managers, directors etc are utterly clueless about it. So how can they address the problem in any meaningful way ?

And when people do get caught it's generally because they talk about it, get grassed up or are 13 years old and really bad at it. Anyone who is good at this sort of thing doesn't get caught that way, which makes you wonder what people have got away with. Look at McKinnon. Blokes mentally ill, and yet he manages to get into some DoD servers and root them. He gets caught as he started leaving messages on them asking where the UFOs are, not because the DoD understood computer security.
  9. Yep, but that was some time ago and ITS has learned from those lessons now. If they haven't, I will be amazed and appalled.

10. [​IMG]

I iz a l33t h4x0r!

I iz p0wn3d!