Anonymous Serving Officer slates false MoD savings

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by Stonker, Oct 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We've all felt this way, since I joined (just before ABBA won the Eurovision song contest), but the feeling has grown stronger over time.

Here we are, SDSR looming - and somebody (anonymous, officer, rank and service unspecified) has unburdened hisself to the Beeb:

BBC iPlayer - The World This Weekend: 10/10/2010

Kicks off at 19min 50secs

Not at all kind to the Generals - serving or recently retired . . . now, there's a surprise.

2. Maybe this is a "crack in the dam" moment................ way too much is being hidden away, stiffled or worse - just lied about.......

There is a whole lot of real issues out there that would "rock their world"

SDSR may have some unexpected and wholly unwelcome ramifications once the top brass have had their moment???

3. I only heard this from half way through this morning. It is so true and I am delighted that it was aired.

I hope that they never find him.

4. Ditto, cracking - well worth listening to.

And true, when your stationery budget is scrutinized to the nth degree, and air travel (even cheap flights) needs a 2* signature, there is millions being frittered away, and not being spent where it is needed.

5. Buy cables etc out of your own pocket to save time and grief?

Yep, been there, done that.

6. Well he certainly appears to have the MoD etc sewn up.

7. Too bloody right. I was under the impression that you had to buy your own 'extras' - there's a shop in Carterton that has expanded its premises to cope with the extra demand.

And I don't mean Gucci kit or Oakleys, I mean bog standard stuff.

8. Well if he is sat in his office this moment I bet he flinches every time there is a knock on the door or the telephone rings, best of luck to him.

9. What he says hits the nail squarely on the head. Well said if you do ever read this.

10. Anybody got a transcript, iPlayer not available here?

11. Sadly the Beeb don't do transcripts for WTW.

I dunno if this will help you to hear it, but if you can download and install this handy little utility:

http://po-ru.com/files/ipdl.exe

it will enable you to download the listen again file as an MP3 recording, by simply copy-and-pasting the link from my first post above (as long as you have a UK IP address, or can download via a proxy with a UK IP address)

12. A sad indictment of life when the whistle-blower (good guy) has to sleep with one eye open, 9mm under the pillow waiting for the midnight knock on the door.

13. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Whilst I agree with what he had to say, I didn't think it was much different to what is posted on here pretty much every day, in much more detail.

14. Well, 'twas ever thus: you opt to break the rules, you takes yer chances.

That said, I haven't seen any evidence (beyond this thread and its few low-key comments) to suggest that the Thought Police are trawling the corridors of MoD buildings from Glasgow to Abbey Wood, in search of the 'leak'.

Plus, if he was smart enough to send the essay by snail-mail, or by e-mail from an internet cafe or public library, there wouldn't be much chance of him being 'outed' I'd have thought.

The point he makes - that MoD is penny-wise and pound-foolish, has ever been true, in my lifetime, but never more pertinent than now, at a time when (on other threads) under-equipped serving folk are suggesting that CEA should be chopped "and the money used for CEA used instead to buy kit", even though the procurement system is the single biggest, most glaring and most hideous of all the financial black holes in MoD, and - perhaps - Gunmint as a whole.

15. "Penny wise and pound foolish". As a CPL in the 80's I never had any trouble getting a £4-500 advance of expenses for conferences in London - but try to claim for the cost of a sandwich without prior authorisation and a receipt - no chance!