Annual Tax Free Bounty, Reserve, Pro -Rata????

Hi, So something I thought would be reasonably straight forward has not been and 2-3 hours DII access once every week has not gleaned any answers.

I completed my regular career last year and joined the reserves part way through the new financial year.

I have a decent SPSI who got me on the required weekends and a substitute annual camp to ensure I completed 27 trainings days before April cut-off to qualify for the Bounty.

2 weeks before the end of the financial year I was then informed that the bounty would only be paid on a pro-rata basis despite completing everything in a shorter time frame, as a result I have lost out on nearly 50% of what I expected.

The only reference to pro-rata payments I can find anywhere refers to pro-rata for those that were unable to complete their 27 MTD's because of joining part way through the year.

Can anyone shed light on this? My Reserve Unit have essentially just said rules is rules!, but thus far I have not found said rules and for right or for wrong I had already spent the money!

Thanks,

Regulations regarding Bounty and training commitments will be in The Army Reserves Regulations. Used to be TA Regs 1978. Might even be in Queens Regs (Reserves)

Scabbers

Old-Salt
Hi, So something I thought would be reasonably straight forward has not been and 2-3 hours DII access once every week has not gleaned any answers.

I completed my regular career last year and joined the reserves part way through the new financial year.

I have a decent SPSI who got me on the required weekends and a substitute annual camp to ensure I completed 27 trainings days before April cut-off to qualify for the Bounty.

2 weeks before the end of the financial year I was then informed that the bounty would only be paid on a pro-rata basis despite completing everything in a shorter time frame, as a result I have lost out on nearly 50% of what I expected.

The only reference to pro-rata payments I can find anywhere refers to pro-rata for those that were unable to complete their 27 MTD's because of joining part way through the year.

Can anyone shed light on this? My Reserve Unit have essentially just said rules is rules!, but thus far I have not found said rules and for right or for wrong I had already spent the money!

Thanks,
If you joined the unit part way through the training year, the bounty will be paid as a proportion in months. The same thing will happen on your final year. Bounty divided in twelfths x no of months. JSP 754 Chapter 3, Sect 5, para 03.0515 refers.

CmdKeen

Old-Salt
As Scabbers says - for "normal" reservists this is a good thing as they are effectively trading some Year 1 bounty (not much) for some Year 5 bounty in the year they leave (which is worth more).

Whilst you completed everything asked of you to get the Certificate of Efficiency you were only available to the Crown for part of the year, they're paying you the bounty for that part.

Thanks for the response, my search through the regs had not found the answer and to find out at the last minute was a wee bit annoying! At least now I have the info and pass on to any other mid-year joiners reg-reserve.
Many thanks

303rifleman

Old-Salt
If you joined the unit part way through the training year, the bounty will be paid as a proportion in months. The same thing will happen on your final year. Bounty divided in twelfths x no of months. JSP 754 Chapter 3, Sect 5, para 03.0515 refers.

Because you are Ex Regular and presuming no big gap between leaving Reg and joining Res the bounty will be straight in at top rate not year 1 recruit rate. Scabbers is correct in his quote from JSP 754.

Latest Threads