Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Annual Dig-The-Dead-Up

I was thinking the same. Don't the Greeks do something similar as graves are only rented and the rent increases over time?
There is a cellar in Palermo full of them hanging from pegs on the walls - scares the shite out of you as they have been given false eyes and all you can see as you walk round is them staring at you.

There is a cellar in Palermo full of them hanging from pegs on the walls - scares the shite out of you as they have been given false eyes and all you can see as you walk round is them staring at you.

They are all bishops aren't they?
Dead ones of course.

They are all bishops aren't they?
Dead ones of course.
Apparently, they were originally people who nursed plague victims in the middle ages, which is where it should have ended until the wealthy and (self) important citizens of Palermo decided to get into the act and had themselves mummified and mounted.

Seriously weird stuff:

yuk.jpg.png

Apparently, they were originally people who nursed plague victims in the middle ages, which is where it should have ended until the wealthy and (self) important citizens of Palermo decided to get into the act and had themselves mummified and mounted.

Thanks, I must have seen a different one which I think is also in Italy.
When their Bishops or Priests kark it they just hang them on the wall in full vestments.
I'll try and dig it out later if I have time.

Thanks, I must have seen a different one which I think is also in Italy.
When their Bishops or Priests kark it they just hang them on the wall in full vestments.
I'll try and dig it out later if I have time.

The Gangi Crypt which oddly enough is also in Sicily.
There is no wiki article but the photo will give you a taste;

GANGI, ITALY - July 03, 2016: The crypt of the mother church ...1300 × 956

Nothing like bumming your old nan, then going sloppy seconds on uncle Pete. Even better, you get to dress them up as well. Grandad can be a latex maid whether he wanted to or not. Serves him right anyway, you saw the state he left great mama Margaret in.