Annoying Phonecalls

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Hitlerwasabitnaughty, Apr 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking for some help here folks.

Am starting to get SERIOUSLY unhappy with getting spam phonecalls from bloody mobile phone companies, double glazing sales, being offered loans, etc etc ad nauseam infinitum. What really winds me up are the ones that hang up as soon as you answer.

Now I seem to remember that there is a website that you sign up to that helps prevent them from calling you. Can anyone help as I am buggered if I can remember what it's called.

Any help appreciated.

2. Yep it's called the Telephone Preference Service http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

However, when you register you still will get these calls - although they do get less. If you still get them after a few months being registered take the name of the caller and the company and tell them you have reported them to the police for harrassment (which is what the wife does). She doesn't get any calls now :D

3. Have been TPS for a while now and get absolutely nothing in terms of bothering calls.

If someone does get through the net, just ask them how they got the number as it is TPS and they soon hang up or politely fukc off.

Be aware though, it will not stop charity or market research calls as they are not officially selling you anything so are not under TPS rules.

TTFN

4. Agreed wholeheartedly with all of that, however, in the case of the market research types may I recommend the object of my avatar blown very strongly down the dog and bone - always works - and they never come back. Just blame it on feedback :twisted:

5. Yep im listed on this too and it works a treat. I believe it can take up to 3 months for the calls to stop as the companies get updated books of numbers every 3 months.

Also try Mail Preference Service (MPS) to get rid of most of the junk mail too!

6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I'm registered with TPS but the occasional one get through. When it does I just ask them to hold on a second & go & make a brew.
    Does wonders for there call bill from India.
    Or get them talking about sod all for ages & then hang up.

7. One of the reason not all calls are stopped is because the larger companies have computers to generate random telephone numbers. Anyone ever get those calls where when you answer it whoever is there hangs up? (No, not the heavy breathing kind :) Well if you do thats the computer checking its a valid telephone number.

Have to say we never ever had sales calls at MQ's before - only got them since buying our own house :?

8. The other thing these calls do is record a pattern of when people are likely to be at home - information, which if it gets to the wrong hands - is not something you would want.

The big companies hire other companies to go through this 'ghost call' process in order to hit their targets when it has been proven they are likely to be at home. I was getting bombarded with them and I got the TPS onto them and it stopped within a day.

If you register and get a pest call ask them where they got your number from as you are logged with TPS, they soon stop calling - sharpish!

9. Both TPS and MPS work well for me, most companies seem to abide by it (its not compulsory). Worth remembering though that any companies you have had dealings with have your details and may pass (ie sell) them on, worth making sure you always tick the no box for this type of option. Electoral registers can also be used by companies for mail shots to you however there is an option for your name not to appear on the publically available register and your voting rights remain unaffected.

10. TPS is compulsory for cold calling companies, I was working for a financial company in civvy street when the legal bit was introduced - they can be fined up to £5000 for calling a number registered with TPS, they soon get the message when this is mentioned and you ask for their details!!

11. If you get BT to block "unknown" numbers it can work as well, although I sometimes have problems with people ringing from abroad not being able to get through if they are using "cut-price" calling cards. This especially stops the "computer" calls

12. have just registered with the telephone preference service an its stopped all the daft calls i was getting..took about 5 mins to fill in an online form an then they send an email to activate ur request..simple as...even though im ex directory i still got the calls..but not nomore..only fly in the ointment is that it can take up to 28days to stop all the calls but in the end it works!