Annoying flicker

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by silvestermk2, Jan 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, you helped me before with computer, hopefully you can help again! It is bit complicated so here goes...

When I am running internet explorer the small tool bar in the top left hand corner of the screen (where you can minimize, reduce and close) flickers intermittently. When ever I visit a website that has a drop down menu and I try to use the menu, at the moment of flicker internet explorer closes the menu. My favorites menu also reacts in the same way.

Also, if I open any other programme, say word for example the very edge of the window it is openedin lso suffers from this same flicker and if I try to start a game, hilst it is loading up it flickers and then windows minimizes the window it is opening in. As soon as I reopen the window, it flickers and minimizes again!

I have checked my graphics card driver and checked or updates and all seems fine. anti virus software seems happy and I even downloaded a registry booster which has cleaned up my registry. If it is any help I am running windows vista on a dell studio.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated on how to cure this!

2. msr

msr LE

Which antivirus are you using?

It sounds like some mouse click is being held down. Can you disable the onboard mouse and try an external one to see if that fixes it?

msr

3. I'm using AVG anti-virus. I tried disabling the mouse pad and using an external mouse and it made no difference.

4. Three things to check, which used to do this to my Vista PC; screen refresh rate, failing that possibly a process called TMM (which Vista uses to run multiple screens), or disable Aero Effects (main one that caused issue with me and sorted things out)?

5. msr

msr LE

Try running this: Emsisoft Free Emergency Kit then replace AVG.

6. Ok, already tried the refresh rate - seems ok but being pc stupid how do I check out the TMM and aero effects please?

7. msr

msr LE

I doubt this is the cause of the problem.

Open Appearance Settings by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, clicking Personalization, and then clicking Window Color and Appearance. If the Appearance Settings dialog box is not displayed, at the bottom of the page, click Open classic appearance properties.

In the Color scheme list, select another color scheme, and then click OK.

Troubleshoot problems with Windows Aero

8. To check if TMM is running you can right click the task bar and go in to Task Manager, then to the Processes tab. It should show up as TMM.

For Aero Effects...ignore my previous confession and use the method by msr.

9. I ran emsisoft free emergency kit - it took about 5 hours to scan my computer, picked up another 77 faults that none of the other scans had found and hey presto everything seems to be running normally again!

Many thanks MSR.

10. msr

msr LE

Holidays4Heroes

11. Good idea - donation done!