Announcements for commissions and other positions of rank: where?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by alloydog, May 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know the first place to look it the National Archives at Kew, but if I remember rightly, didn't commissions and stuff get announced in something like the London Gazette or such like?

I have website about the 44th Regiment of Foot (it concentrates mostly on the 2nd Battalion, though) (link: The 44th (East Essex) Regiment of Foot - home page), and from time to time I get asked for details about, or help in finding about peoples family members who served with the regiment.

I have just had a request about finding about about a one Lieutenant Alexander Riddoch (also spelt Reddock and other ways!). The lady asking about him has done a fair bit of research, including the National Archives, and has managed to find the following:

made rank of cornet 11 June 1812
    made rank of Lieutenant 2 February 1815
    placed on half pay 25 March 1816
    still on half pay in 1821
    still on half pay in 1824 Riddoch
    still on half pay in 1841
    On Feb 21, 1845, Lieut Riddoch, who was paid half pay, and who was with the 44th Foot died.

However, things like date of birth are proving to be allusive.

The point of the research is that there a couple of portraits in the National Portrait Gallery by an A Reddock (for example: National Portrait Gallery - Portrait - NPG 5001; Andrew Meikle), for which the limited background information seems to point to him possibly being the same person. The lady doing the research has come up with a few details about the artist, but nothing conclusive. Even things like the date of death of the artist are only assumed and not documented by the gallery - the gallery has the date of death at 1842, but as I said, it is not proven.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas where things like the announcement of Reddock/Riddoch being made cornet and Lieutenant might be found, and if they had details such as family like, son of Lord So-and-so, that sort of thing.

Cheers, Rob

2. There are some entries for an A Reddock of the 44th in the London Gazette in the early 19th Century available on line. For example Viewing Page 361 of Issue 16858. I doubt that there was an A Riddoch and an A Reddock serving in the 44th at that time and so it is fairly safe bet that they are one and the same. The problem is that the spelling of names at that time tended to be fairly haphazard. Searches on other possible spellings might throw up other potential results.

3. Thanks for that. I did try a web search of the London Gazette, but I guess it needs a more manual search. I will have a look through it at the know dates. It was also relieving to read that the horses lost were just Dutch ones, and not fine upstanding British ones... ;)

Cheers!

4. He was from Falkirk, but I am not sure if he on a census: I'm not doing the research, someone else is (Board index » Regimental History » Alexander Reddoch of Falkirk Portrait Painter and the 44th)

The lady concerned is trying to find if painter Alexander Reddoch of Falkirk who was actively painting just prior to the Alexander Reddoch/Reddock/Riddock of the 44th regiment, who was also from Falkirk, was the same person.

I was wondering if in any places where social/military announcements are made, they might mention other family members, such as "A Reddoch, son of Lord and Lady Blah-Blah was made a cornet on the ..." Amybe give another thread to follow.

5. She may want to try newspapers - but its a hard slog. The Scotsman is available online to search for free - see the National Library of Scotland webpage) as are an increasing number of local papers. - See Home | Search the archive | British Newspaper Archive

6. Sounds plausible, the bloke was probably making more money from painting than soldiering.

In addition, the Army downsized a lot after Waterloo and a lot of officers were stuck on half pay.

One of my ancestors was transported for stealing a cow in 1825 after being laid off by the Dragoon Guards, so an officer painting for a living sounds plausible.

Try the census!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

7. Viewing Page 362 of Issue 16858

Viewing Page 1871 of Issue 17177

Viewing Page 1149 of Issue 16612

I had just discounted the Alexander Reddock from the West Kent Militia, there's several mentions of him, which I'll get back to shortly.

8. Additionally, there are several mentions of Forfarshire, with an Alexander Riddock as Lt Colonel of the 4th Forfarfhire Volunteer Infantry, who may be the same person who was Provost of Dundee, and may potentially be the father or uncle of the person in question.

9. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I knew a Staff Sergeant in the RAPC who had worked iirc HQ NORTHAG in Norway where almost everybody was a general and they all just banged on the desk and demanded their payment for whatever it is "right now."

He told the story of a senior officer who had read that he had been promoted in the Daily Telegraph and in true style asked when he'd get the money. Let's call our SSGT Steve, cos that was his name. Steve replied that he'd get his money when his commission was posted in the London Gazette and when this was sent to APO at Ashton, they'd action his pay rise.

"Not good enough."
    "Leave it with me."

So he phones mucker at APO Ashton, his previous posting and asks what to do.

"Raise a Part 2 Order and send it to us."
    "But what about the authority?" (it used to appear in a column next to the payment authority on the bottom of the pay statement.)
    "Daily Telegraph, you say? Put D TEL."

And the senior officer got his promotion forthwith instead of having to wait for it to go round the circuit and get backdated. It's not what you know, but who you know.

10. The Alexander Reddock who joined the 44th Regiment of Foot in 1812, as an Ensign, not a Cornet (for obvious reasons), transferred from the West Kent Militia. He seems to have been commissioned into the WKM in July 1809.

To me, this makes it unlikely that he is the same Alexander Reddock who painted a portrait in East Lothian in 1811.

11. I'm going to post a link to this thread on the 44th's forum page, so the lady doing the research can read it.

With regards to an earlier post about him becoming a painter - the dates of the paintings preceed the army dates, so if it is the same person, then he was a painter first, then joined up. The dates of the paintings are 1809 and 1811, here is one: File:Andrew Meikle by A. Reddock.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While there seems to be a fair bit of inofmrtion directly related to Reddock the soldier, there does not seem to be anything about Reddock the painter. Even the Nation Portrait Gallery's web-page for him just gives an unverifid date of death.

Looking at it from a different angle, I'm wondering if there is still a family associated with Andrew Meikle, or an estate at least. Maybe they have records of, for example, payment to the painter, which might have an address.

12. As I said, the Alexander Reddock who joined the 44th in 1812 did so by transferring from the West Kent Militia, which he joined in 1809. If he was in West Kent in 1809, he is unlikely to have been portrait painting in Scotland at the same time.

13. Good catch! :) thanks.