Anniversary of Jump into Northern Iraq

tomahawk6 said:
Being airborne qualified, any story about paratroopers makes me happy. Dropping 1000 paratroopers into northern Iraq to open a second front was quite a feat.
Personnally, I think it has to have been the most pathetic attempt at grabbing some positive PR that I can think of during the war - and they still seem to be banging on about it in some circles!!!
The drop zone was accepted by all concerned to be utterly benign. So why not just plop the C-17s down on the surface and let the lads walk out the back????? Nevertheless, they did a (relatively) low level 'COMBAT' drop, into a secure airfield - the USMC and our own SBS had been operating in the area for quite some time - and in some force (more than a 1,000 all told). "Second front" - Yeah!!!!
This was a PR stunt that put more US Airborne troops, as a proportion of total force, into hospital (broken legs etc) than the Iraqis managed down south against the 82nd Airborne!!!!!

regards.
merkator

At least they got to put that little star on their wings...hmmm I wonder if that had ANYTHING to do with the decision to lob in rather than air-land??

It was an utter waste of money designed as a 'force projection' exercise. That sort of thinking is why the US will never be free of their War on Terror.

Cracking phot, mind.

it was only done because their CO wanted the blokes to have there jump badges

there are pics around of them sitting around on there bergans waited for some thing to do or quitely bundleing up 'chutes because there was nothing else to do!

I was with the 325th AIR of the 82nd down south at the time, the 173rd have large brass ones to wear the mustard stain if you ask me-Ive seen more casualties on a Mass attack onto sicily DZ on Bragg.US Special Forces and the Pesh were in complete control of the DZ(as Ive been told) but theres nothing like passing out some undeserved awards to keep the Generals happy. I wonder what veterans of Normandy and Market Garden would think of this nonsense.

expat007 said:
I was with the 325th AIR of the 82nd down south at the time, the 173rd have large brass ones to wear the mustard stain if you ask me-Ive seen more casualties on a Mass attack onto sicily DZ on Bragg.US Special Forces and the Pesh were in complete control of the DZ(as Ive been told) but theres nothing like passing out some undeserved awards to keep the Generals happy. I wonder what veterans of Normandy and Market Garden would think of this nonsense.
There are plenty of mustard stains around, why should you object to a few more ? Also, you seem to be saying that an operational lob only counts if if it's onto an enemy-held DZ and involves loads of casualties ?

There's probably still a lot of mutual respect between Normandy/Arnhem veterans and the modern airborne soldier, the use of airborne troops on Telic (whether it was strictly essential or not) will only enhance that mutual respect (?)

(p.s. not having a pop at anyone, just giving my viewpoint)

Goose_Rider said:
expat007 said:
There are plenty of mustard stains around, why should you object to a few more ? Also, you seem to be saying that an operational lob only counts if if it's onto an enemy-held DZ and involves loads of casualties ?

There's probably still a lot of mutual respect between Normandy/Arnhem veterans and the modern airborne soldier, the use of airborne troops on Telic (whether it was strictly essential or not) will only enhance that mutual respect (?)

(p.s. not having a pop at anyone, just giving my viewpoint)
I think an operational (i.e. tactical with opposition) jump should count whereas this kind of deployment is just nonsensical when compared with "real" combat jumps. It is facile in the extreme to compare Nijmegen, Sicily, Arnhem and D Day with this "operation". If you really need airborne soldiers at Point X in enemy held territory then why take a chance on getting x-the number injured during a lob-in? After all, the SF and Peshmurga had local superiority and an airlanding op would have been infinitely preferable - unless there was another agenda.

Cuddles says it all, I believe the reason for the "Combat" jump was to award the mustard stain.When the 4th Bn of the 325th AIR of the 82nd were preparing to jump into Haiti, chair warmers from the hill and brigade arrived at green ramp and started bumping shooters from their chalks.So as to facilitate upward momentum in some young Os careers-nothing like combat awards to strengthen the old OER bullets.

I know if I had the chance I would have jumped (arf arf) at the chance of taking part. How many of us would have turned it down?

Agree with the previous posts about shiny arrses taking up places at the expense of Toms just for their vanity though, this trait is not unique to the Americans.

Would it have been safer to land the aircraft? A bloke breaking his leg is one thing, an aircraft full of troops piling in because of FOD, hitting mud, a lone landmine, etc, is a bit more of a risk.

Surely an Op drop is just a quick method of deploying troops on the flanks or in front of you where you need them, regardless of whether or not they land into a firefight!!!

Do any of our US friends have the lowdown on the Rangers' jump into the Stan back in 2001, at the start of GWOT? My understanding was that it was a short duration raid, relatively little oppostition, and heli'd out. Reason for AB insertion was that helis couldn't fly in from their staging post with both fuel and troops, but could exfil because of the fuel they'd burned inbound? Am I right?

“I knew it was real when they gave us live ammo at the airfield. I knew then that there was no turning back,” recalled Pfc. Jerry Allen, Chosen Co. 2nd Battalion, 503rd Infantry (Airborne).
Hmm, well done there. May I suggest that whether you are going to war by parachute or by foot it is always a good idea to have live ammo?

Does one more badge make them look more or less like scouts then?

Admit it - this is jealousy. You'd all give an arm to do a combat jump even if the weakest excuse had to be found to justify it. Might update the whole para anachronism from Suez to present day.

Lets face it - you tried on Telic when 16 Bde wanted a mad dash north to do some jumping at the expense of everything including common sense. Looks like the US airborne can lobby a little harder.

Latest Threads