Anniversary - Gunner R Curtis RA KIA NI 6th February 1971,

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BuggerAll, Feb 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

On this day in 1971 Gunner Robert Curtis of the Royal Artillery was the first British serviceman to be killed in the present troubles in Northern Ireland.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

On this day when the rest of the world is worrying it's self about a lot of footballers killed in an accident it's important that we should remember a soldier murdered whilst doing his duty.
  2. I don't think the "whole world" is worrying itself about a lot of footballers who died 50 years ago today. Death effects everyone in different degrees but I do agree whole heartedly with your sentiment. Well spotted with this iformation. RIP
  3. RIP.

Sadly my capbadge (R.A), has the first and last death in NI during the troubles.
  4. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Indeed, 26 years and 6 days apart, and both from Peterborough!
  6. Gremlin,

Gnr Curtis was a mate of BSM A@@@@n they were on the same patrol ..................
  7. can anyone put up the full list of NI

8. Go to spikes linkey.... palace bks memorial garden you will find all the info you req...
  9. Sadly I remember gunner Curtis, I was shocked and sad on hearing the news as it broke. Brings back so many memories. Rest in peace and long may all of our fallen be remembered.
  10. RIP the fallen.
  11. Regarding the Roll of Honour for N.I trust me its wrong, very sadly wrong, doesnt list a lot of blokes, though through accidents,suicides,murders etc.

I do have somewhere a list of those not on the roll upto 1971/72 will dig it out,if i can find the ruddy disc.
  12. Served in the same Troop and Bty as Gnr Curtis albeit some 16 yrs after his death, they used to have a memorial in the Bty history room

The link in my signature has a list of the RA casualties