Annan will sacrifice son to save himself

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Agent_Smith, Mar 29, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No, dont worry, he isnt going to kill him to appease the gods, he just plans on cutting him loose in order to save his own reputation.

The sign of a guilty man, or the sign of someone who abhores corruption?

Koffi annans son cut loose

2. I trust Kofi like I trust our Tony.

3. Too late....

I forget exactly when it is next year that his term as UN Sec General expires, but given that US Congressional blood is up over this one, unless Congress is distracted by something else, it'll take something of a miracle for him not to suffer the fate of Boutros Boutros Ghali and be vetoed (behind the scenes) by the US.

5. The only thing he is personally guilty of is not following the orders of the US. For this they will never fogive him and they will veto his second appointment as UNSG.

It is a shame really as he isd an excellent SG and one of the most honourable people you will ever meet. However, the US is not interested in his role as SG, but only in mud slinging, following a report that clears him.

Having met him on several occasions and having personally worked with many of the investigators who are conducting the OFF enquiry I am very satisfied that if he was guilty of corruption as variously alleged they would say so in very clear and unambiguous terms.

However, that will never be enough for the right wing of the US.

6. Despite the fact that he has been found innocent, there are still a number of issue on which he is being criticised, namely making incorrect assertions on his knowledge of the UN contract award, his financial contact with his son and the claims that he cut all contact with his son in 1998 (when it has been shown he only stopped last yr). I realise that the US will use this to get rid of him, but im still not sure if i trust him.

7. So Kofi may 'sacrifice' his son in order to protect himself? Well, I don't imagine that will cause the old spoofer any lost sleep, as he had no problem with 'sacrificing' thousands in Rwanda (see Romeo Dallaire's book on Annan's culpability), Bosnia, Sudan......pathetic.

8. Rwanda is not a fair thing to level at Kofi GG.

I understand very personally exactly where General Dallaire is coming from.

However, the first point to remember, is it was the United States, not Kofi Annan that said they would only act if it was in their 'self-interest'. The United States also refused to acknowledge the term 'genocide' to avoid legal obligations to get involved under UNSCR 918 as I remember, but I may be wrong on that.

Remember, before the genocide, there was already a UNAMIR prescence , aimed at keeping the Hutu forces, and the Rwandan Psychotic Army (RPA) apart , and establishing a DMZ on the Ugandan border. I think at the time though UNAMIR was less than 200 bodies. I know the UN did ask for more troops, especially because of the scale of the task, but I think only Belgium , and Bangladesh , possibly Nigeria and Ghana actually responded by sending more troops

Things went pretty much to ratsh*t very quickly after the Rwandan President was blown out of the sky in April 94. The Hutus went on a MASSIVE killing spree

The biggest problem there in the early days of the genocide, was no one actually believed the scale of what was happening. It wasn't a gradual escalation , virtually overnight whole villages were being liquidated. I know that in the last part of April, something like 300,000 people were legging it for Tanzania.

The UNAMIR guys still left in country , actually established some form of safe haven , which was needed , because people were getting murdered. There were some bloody brave people in the Belgian UNAMIR mission, despite Dallaires' comments to the contrary. Belgium got extremely agitated very quickly after their 10 Para's were slotted during their extraction.

Now this is the part that concerns Dallaire. He ordered them to the location they were sent to. Those Belgian Para's were ordered by someone to hand over their weapons to the militia, rather than provoke an incident. they were then executed and their bodies mutilated and burnt. Now Dallaire can obsfucate and blame everyone else as much as he wants. Who ordered the Belgians to hand over their weapons?

The Belgian Government very correctly went spare , as did the Belgian nation. It took very forceful action by the Belgian MOD to stop their Para Battalions emplaning for Kigali for a little payback.

There was a massive refugee feeding problem that had to be serviced first. Anyone who was at Goma for example, would have seen the UN airlift going on. I don't think there's been anything on that scale since Berlin , it was absolutely incredible.

Ironic really, because Rwanda is one of the most fertile places in Africa, but the RPA scorched earth everything as they went south.

Now I damn well know that Kofi , as UN DPK was behind UNSCR 918 proposed in May 94, but it still took nearly 6 months for member states to get off their arrses and do something , so I fail to see how it is Annan's fault.

It's easy to blame Kofi, because it's easier than accepting the blame, because WE on the PSC should have done something in May/June 94. So frankly, this latest effort to smear Annan , I take with a massive pinch of salt. The United States needs to admit to their part in this tragedy, before they start smearing the head of the UN

9. "he isnt going to kill him to appease the gods"
    Uman sacrifice is not unknown in Africa, probably runs in the tribe.
    john
    PS Oh and he has made the mistake of upsetting King George II, just as his predecesor upset Bill Clinton.