Annan quits as UN envoy to Syria.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Brute, Aug 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Annan quits as UN envoy to Syria -

“As an envoy, I can’t want peace more than the protagonists, more than the Security Council or the international community for that matter,” Mr Annan told reporters.

“A political process is difficult if not impossible while all sides – within and without Syria – see opportunity to advance their narrow agendas by military means,” he writes.

Well put! Shame nobody will listen.
  2. Not a problem - step forward the Specia lEnvoy to the Quartet on The Middle East, His Munificence Anthony Charles Lynton Blair (pbuh).

He's a mediating kinda guy.
  3. There I was all mellow opening my second can not concerned much by anything and then YOU post that...
  4. Keep drinking, is my advice.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Annan has quit for a reason.

This can only mean he has seen something that he wants to be no part of.

Conformation that the Syrian situation looks ****ing grim which ever way you look at it.

Question now is .. Will the inevitable Syrian invasion come from the East or the West ?
  6. I'm sure the UN are doing exactly what is needed in Syria. If it was like the Balkans, then I'm sure they will sit about and do little or nothing while the various forces within, systematically destroy everything, with large scale murder thrown in to the mixer
  7. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Persistent with this one aren't you?

If two sides have mutually exclusive aims and think they can win, they have no interest in diplomacy ie compromise. Kofi has quit because he has seen this and can't do much else other than.. Well I don't know.

There will be no invasion. Russians would destroy any credibility they have by intervening in the affairs of a sovereign nation, something they oppose. They also don't have the capability. Ditto the chinese.
    As for the west - do you seriously think that NATO etc will involve themselves in another middle east adventure after disengaging from two unpopular wars that have lasted ten years and cost billions?
  8. other news; price of fish remains constant.
  9. I don't believe that the world is prepared to just sit back and and watch the daily slaughter indefinitely.

I would not dismiss the military capabilities of China and Russia as being incapable either judging by the amount of investment both these country's have made in recent years!
  10. Well he does have a fine record for profiting from pointless slaughter and could do with a few more grand residences. I say send in The People's Hyenna.
    Hopefully he'll end up chained to a radiator.
  11. Oh the slaughter is fine or we would not be liberally backing a rebel movement with rather a lot of the folk in it that proved to be so good at sectarian massacres in Iraq and that also includes some candidly genocidal Salafist groups. The house of Assad may be nasty but if that lot get the upper hand we are going to have to do a great deal of looking the other way as the mass graves fill up.
  12. If Assad is toppled, we'll see whats going on in Iraq and now whats happening in Libya. Extremists trying to put their influence at the forefront. The fact that the 'rebels' executed a group in cold blood and was failed to condemned by Hague is shocking! He is quick to jump on anything the Assad regime does.

13. Whoever comes out on top in Syria it will end up a shambles. If Assad wins there will be genocide along the way. If he loses we will see the detritus that he has been keeping under control rise to the fore and fight it out amongst themselves. If Turkey gets into the EU it will knacker us all with the consequent mgration route and overspill.

Call me a Liberal but the only long term solution is to turn everything south of Ukraine from the Turkish to the Indian Borders to instant glass, give it a few years and wire it up as solar panels.

Job done - nutcases and world energy shortages solved in one.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. What do you expect? All this shock and condemnation by Human Rights Watch et al over the killing of the captured shabiha is ridiculous. The international community has done sod all to help the uprising when it comes down to it and they now want the rebels to recognize the human rights of people who have been actively involved in the rape, torture, murder and illegal imprisonment of their countrymen for the last 17 months. How can you expect them to show restraint and abide by some imagined code of conduct that the ****ing useless UN has thought up that will afford the loyalists mercy when for a year and a half they've seen nothing like that from Assad and his forces.

People need to realise that you can't have it both ways. The rebels have basically been left to slug it out with kind words of encouragement and nothing else from the West and so for us to think we can sit here and condemn them when they get their hands on people who've been massacring them wholesale is ludicrous.

The idea that the rebels should adhere to the same standards as a conventional army is bollocks. They aren't a conventional army. They never could have been called an army because they weren't trained to fight effectively or to a follow a certain code of conduct and that's largely down to our hands off attitude throughout the entire conflict. They haven't been treated with the same standards that a conventional army would be under the rules of law. They're being torn apart illegally by what is supposed to be the legitimate army of a sovereign state (their own army) and they're fighting a guerrilla war against a vastly superior force.

All things considered, nobody outside of Syria has the right to condemn what they've done. I'm not saying it's right and I'm definitely not saying we should militarily intervene BUT because we've not actively done anything to help them it's not our place to say what they're doing is wrong. I reckon most people on here would do the exact same thing in their situation and seeing as the men they killed were part of the local shabiha who had raped young women and killed and tortured in the area for months with impunity it sounds like a fairly logical outcome.
  15. I saw one commentator predicting Syria will play out like the Lebanese civil war, except there's no Syria to intervene and the Israelis sensibly can't be bothered to stick an oar in. So long and bloody and I'd add a cradle of radicalism. Lebanon's war after all produced HA, a now dominant political foce in the country. There's a real risk the war won't be contained in Syria, that's when things start getting interesting.