Anna Soubry - Clinically Insane or just Barking Mad - Just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo On

On ROPS
On ROPs
She’s in a lot of trouble with her constituency party, many of whom want her dropped. It’s unlikely she’ll receive the nomination to stand in the next GE.
Has the damage already been done in that constituency? whatever anyone thinks of brexit, you would think at least a 1000 voters will either abstain, or more likely switch to another party. Neither can she be ditched; as a by-election based purely on a binary choice covering brexit would boost the labour vote and the tories lose another seat.

I'm sure her constituency party are awfully proud to have her represent them, or is it simply her majority is less than a thousand and on a wafer thin majority like that someone has made an assumption, she as the incumbent is better off not deselected.

Assuming the 25k tories who voted for her, feel the same, seems to be lost in the mix.
Has the damage already been done in that constituency? whatever anyone thinks of brexit, you would think at least a 1000 voters will either abstain, or more likely switch to another party. Neither can she be ditched; as a by-election based purely on a binary choice covering brexit would boost the labour vote and the tories lose another seat.
From what I understand her constituency chairman has made moves to deselect her as their candidate in the constituency, however he was "leant on" by Conservative Party HQ to cease his quest.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Unfortunately (for her) I don't think she has the flexibility of reasoning for a cabinet job.
She has had a number of ministerial posts. But her teddy launching antics will almost certainly prevent her getting any more. No prizes for guessing the scale of the PR disaster that would result should she disagree with a cabinet decision.

Compare and contrast with JRM who's pressured PMTM into doing his bidding in a much more low key way. One has a brain the size of a planet; the other a mouth as big as the Channel Tunnel entrance.

Wordsmith

I don't think she's mad, simply extremely passionate about the issue of Europe. She isn't a drone parachuted in after doing 3 (say) years meaningless work (OK, OK, she worked for ITV, but...) while brown nosing the right people in the party with the aim of becoming an MP by the time she was 35, which seems to be the career path of too many today. I daresay that if she spoke with such force and passion about an issue other than Brexit, she'd be regarded differently.

It used to be the case that parliament had a significant number of Soubry-like MPs, who'd be roused to speak with vigour about all sorts of issues (Robert Adley the Tory MP who was a passionate supporter of railways and steam engines [and a decent constituency MP, which is why he kept being elected; he died and the seat was finally won in the by-election by the Lib Dems who thought they'd have won it some years before but for Adley - they promptly lost it again at the next election ] would be one example). But on most issues they'd be fairly anonymous.

While the constituency chairman was persuaded not to deselect her, I imagine that this was more of a 'not the right time, old boy' approach from party HQ. If she knows she's to be binned now, in theory 4 years out from the election, she becomes a loose cannon. She might resign the seat and prompt a by-election or she might resign the whip and be completely uncontrollable on key votes other than Brexit. The local party also needs to tread fairly carefully to ensure that they don't deselect her in a manner which sees just enough local Tories think she's been hard done by and support her running as an Independent against whoever the new Tory candidate is.

I have to say that after just under one year of watching the student JRM at work, I wouldn't see him as anything other than a potential disaster waiting to happen if he got high office¹ (and nor would a fair few of the student Tories [there were some] who were involved in the OU Conservative Association), although his intellect, consistent good manners and refusal to rise to barbs and jibes of those not as bright as him mean that you won't hear me entering into invective about him on those areas where I disagree with him.

¹ Note use of the word 'potential'. Unlike another contemporary, one E Miliband, who would have been a disaster had he become PM, delightfully nice person though he was as well)

Positives: I don't think she is a "bad" person and I doubt she has any bad intent. She means well and is passionate about doing the right thing. That can be a good thing, as evidenced by her speech today referencing BBC's harassment of Sir Cliff Richard.

Negatives: She comes across as very binary in her opinion. This puts her at odds with her constituents, her colleagues and those of the public that disagree with her opinion. Unfortunately she seems to start at passion level 8 and turns it up as she gets frustrated. Backing down is next to impossible as she finds herself in a logic conundrum. As she can't back down she has to fight. Having made a decision and believing that all the evidence supports her belief, any threat will only cause her to turn up her intensity to 11.

I don't think she's really insane although it can appear that way. Ultimately getting stuck in a logic conundrum and being unable to get out of it might make her have a breakdown. I think it's the way she is wired. Loose cannon? Definitely. Unfortunately (for her) I don't think she has the flexibility of reasoning for a cabinet job.
Ah , so just like a fairly typical wife , then ?

Is sanity even a requirement of holding a seat as a Member of Parliament ?
Need you ask, what sane person would willing enter the country's biggest lunatic asylum. I can only quote Groucho Marx" I don't care to belong to any club that would have me as a member"
I bumped into Soubry at a political discussion a few years ago, that was being broadcast on Radio 5 live, in Birmingham, the topic, law and order, she shouted me down when I mentioned that organised gangs of eastern European pickpockets were working the west end of London's oxford & regent street, her protest were loud and vicious ..." Ridiculous nonsense, absolute rubbish," complete with eyes heaven ward, and the shacking of the head.
She is on a par with the Abbottpotamus, not fit for use, faulty, return to supplier. .

Echo On

On ROPS
On ROPs
I bet her ex husband has a few stories to tell and can you imagine been her partner and telling her over dinner, that you voted brexit.

All,

Having just seen yet another spouting of Blx from Anna Soubry on Brexit i do wonder if she is Clinically Insane or just Barking Mad

Your thoughts please
She's barking, almost as barking as Baglock.
Throw in some vindictiveness & obedience to her paymasters & you end up with a really vile person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Gunners 31
Unknown_Quantity The Intelligence Cell 1
E Sports, Adventure Training and Events 4