Ann Widdecombe calls for Bearskins to be abolished

#1
BBC Report

It would seem that the tree huggers are looking to step up their campaign against the bear skin - did not see Heather Mills-McCartney in the picture though :)
 
#2
wooger said:
BBC Report

It would seem that the tree huggers are looking to step up their campaign against the bear skin - did not see Heather Mills-McCartney in the picture though :)
How could you tell if she was there or not? just seemed like an untidy heap of naked bodies I do hope a chilly east wind was blowing.
as my late Mother would have said"Isn't God good to that lot they must have nothing better to do with their time."
 
#3
The bears would die anyway have to be culled as too many in area I believe .People for eating tasty animals are a bunch of hypocrites
anyway .Remeber their bloke dresed as a cod protesting about fish and chips in brighton half the people thought he was advertising fish and chips and he ended up being pushed down a hill . :lol:
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#4
Isnt public nudity an offence even if protesting? W&NKERS!
 
#5
Why do the BBC go to all the trouble of writing a story without the checking the bearist ( :D ) of the facts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearskin

"The hatmakers purchase roughly 100 pelts each year out of ten thousand or so culled bears."

That took me all of about 9 seconds to confirm what I already knew....If I didn't know better, I'd suspect the BBC had a very subtle agenda.
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#6
AWOL a letter to the BEEB pointing out their lack of truth or evenhandedness in reporting and a copy to your MP and the minister responsible for the BBC is on the cards! I do it regularly and believe in making the elected work for my tax money!
 
#7
ugly said:
AWOL a letter to the BEEB pointing out their lack of truth or evenhandedness in reporting and a copy to your MP and the minister responsible for the BBC is on the cards! I do it regularly and believe in making the elected work for my tax money!
I'll let you know the response. Stand by...

Complaint sent...
 
#8
... the MoD said attempts to find a alternative [to bear skin] have so far been unsuccessful...but the search for an acceptable alternative will continue.
:x Why is the MOD pandering to these idiots and their protests by spending time and money seeking an alternative? Bear skin appears to be the perfect material, so why are they trying to fix something that isn't broken?

What next? C95 sourced from fair trade cotton? Vegetarian assault boots?

I'm usually a nice girl, but sometimes ........Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! Plus I got rained on today :-(
 
#9
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/20/AR2006062001257.html
"Black bears, who are intelligent and curious animals, are slaughtered in Canada so that their skins may be used for ceremonial hats," Widdecombe wrote in a letter to her party colleagues on Thursday.

Widdecombe's letter was obtained by The Associated Press on Tuesday.
Personally I am going to write to her to remind her that no bears are killed in order to supply a pelt to make a bearskin cap - there is a cull every year to control numbers, and that is where the pelts come from.

Anyone else care to write to her?

http://www.annwiddecombemp.com/
 
#11
I thought everyone knew they came from culls? Thick ugly bint.
 
#12
Bloody hell. I'm not sure who it would apply to, but isn't there a case for libel here?

She sent the letter to her pary colleagues, but didn't bother to check her facts first. I wonder how many of her colleagues know enough to realise it's complete tosh?

What kind of confidence does this sort of act instil in MPs? That they can just bleat their mouths off about anything that takes their fancy, not bother to check to make sure it's actually true, and then tell all their government mates too. This looks to me like a very bad attempt to win over a hippy or two.
 
#13
I thought we only took about 40 or 50 pelts a year, hardly a lucrative business for bear trappers. For the fourth time this week I'm tempted to use the terms 'knee-jerk' and MP together in the same sentence.
 
#14
If she wants to put her not insubstantial weight behind a cause, try whale hunting instead.

And stop mentioning Anne Widdecombe and Bare Skin in the same sentence!!!!!!!!SHUDDER! 8O
 
#15
devilish said:
I thought everyone knew they came from culls? Thick ugly bint.
There's culls at our local landfill site

Sorry I meant gulls.

She is a bit ugly and misinformed.
 
#16
what makes it even more sad is that she is only 1 of 180 MPs to have signed up to this so far. At least as a private members bill it stands little chance. Maybe that is why they put their name to it - be seen to be doing something, but without having to worry about the consequences?

Other than voting them out about the only way I can think that we can bring their attention to the error of their ways is to write to them?
 
#17
Little bit of checking - the relevant piece of drivel is Early Day motion 1756 dated 6/3/06...and signed by 181 MPs. The list of bandwagon-jumpers can be found at http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=30210&SESSION=875.


One point I want to be certain on before writing to Mr. Mullin and setting him straight on the matter: I was taught that the 'military significance' of bearskins is that the right to wear one was awarded as a battle honour for the defeat of the French Imperial Guard at Waterloo. Is this correct or should I set light to that page of my old history textbook?
 
#18
Easy points. Slate the army (albeit indirectly) and make yourself out to be a saviour of fwuffy animals at the same time. A voting block somewhere has been targeted.
 
#19
Juvenal said:
One point I want to be certain on before writing to Mr. Mullin and setting him straight on the matter: I was taught that the 'military significance' of bearskins is that the right to wear one was awarded as a battle honour for the defeat of the French Imperial Guard at Waterloo. Is this correct or should I set light to that page of my old history textbook?
Why bother even telling him? Tradition is so out-dated.
 
#20
SPIDERMONKEY said:
If she wants to put her not insubstantial weight behind a cause, try whale hunting instead.

And stop mentioning Anne Widdecombe and Bare Skin in the same sentence!!!!!!!!SHUDDER! 8O
I see ... you mean whaleskin hats to replace bearskins :?


</p>
New Tories - Tough on bearskins, tough on the causes of bearskins
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top