Ankle Weights

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by krakatoa, Sep 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone used ankle weights whilst running? My logic behind it is that if I can run with weighted ankles I'll be flying when wearing boots/trainers.

Obviously a progression of 1/4 - 1/2 lbs increments or so working up to a max of 2-2.5 lbs would probably be a good idea since you don't want to put too much strain on your ankles straight away.

Opinions much appreciated.

Cheers

Krakatoa

2. You could use diving boots, they have the same effect pmsl

3. I never bothered, so can't really help. I didn't find running with boots too much of a pain once the boots are broken in properly

4. Just work on the general strength of your legs, squats lunges etc weights if you go to the gym and as smudge says break your boots in properly you shouldn't have any problems

5. Cycling. Find some big hills. Thats what I've done!

6. I wouldn't use ankle weights if I was you.. that's introducing a foreign body into running which you probably won't actually use at all, and when you stop using them also, what you gained will deteroriate again :eek:

7. Not recommended by a physio pal of mine..............using ankle weights has an adverse effect on the rest of your posture/gait or something technical like that. Bottom line is that there are better ways to improve your fitness.

8. Used them once. Terrible. Could hardly finish 3 miles. My back was sore for days as were my knees and hips! (How that one works is anyones guess!) Run with the boots on, mush better weight distribution and better gait.

9. hi ya...i've trained with ankle weights for some time, it ha sits benefits but it also has its drawbacks as well. Yes its good to train with them for short periods ie a couple of weeks at a time. But be carefull not to run with to heavy to soon, cause you can mess your legs up big time. your knees will take all the shock so start off slowly with light weights and build up to heavier weights later. have fun...pmsl

10. No point in them whatsoever. No professional athletes use them in their training schedule no matter what distance they run. Isn't that telling you something? :)

11. Fair play - I take it they're a sh!t idea then!

cheers for the responses lads

12. Try wearing really heavy socks lol

13. Run in boots.