Ankle damage

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by RU99, Dec 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recently went over my ankle whilst at AOSB Briefing and I am not sure if I am hampering the repair process by not knowing exactly what I have done to it. Basically I had a bad land on the assault course but carried on for as long as I could before I couldn’t put any weight on my right ankle. I put all my weight over my ankle which I felt twinge but tried to continue until it got worse, and still have pain to the side at the front of my foot, as well as my Achilles clicking. Should I go and see the doctor about it, I just want it to repair as fast as possible so I can get running again as now I need to prepare for MB sometime next year.

2. GPs can be a bit dismissive of sprains and things, unless actually you've obviously fractured it, in which case it's straight to a fracture clinic for you! I would find a decent sports physio and see them - they can work out a proper exercise and rehab program to get it all working again. I got kicked by a horse recently, and after limping for a week and then resting, running was bloody sore. Took one physio session, a few exercises, and some massage and now it's all working properly again - the body does funny things to compensate for injury and you need an expert who can undo these funny things.

3. You are right; I am getting pains up my calf and at the bottom as well, probably as my leg is doing weird things to compensate for my limping.

4. Sounds about right - it's usual for those muscle structures to tense up after an ankle injury. Get yourself to a sports physio!

5. Cheers, I just hope it will repair properly so I can get training! Email fired off to a local physio.

6. Went to see the physio, he said I had done more damage to the joint then the ligament, said I must have been going at a rate when I went over. Six weeks has been since the fall and the area around the damaged ligament is still tender when I try and put it under a bit if pressure. Wouldn’t want to run on it. Is this normal?