Animals executing military tactics. Or is it the other way round?

There's a small stream behind our house in Atlanta that backs onto some woodland and open ground. Actually it's the neighbor's back yard, but he's got one of those weird corner plots with loads of trees in it.

I just watched a group of 4 deer execute a river crossing, do an all-round defence for a few minutes and then set off on patrol.

I'd never considered it before, but they came down my back yard, then one-by-one they crossed the stream. Once all 4 were over, they split up, about 10 yards apart, facing outwards at 90 degrees to each other, covering 360 degree arcs. They hunkered down and waited a few minutes, then all got up, and toddled off in a patrol formation, one behind the other.

There's a coyote that occupies the same area, so I imagine they were looking for him. I wish I could arm the deer to deal with the coyote!

We are animals too.

A couple of years ago I saw a kudu attempt a 7' fence and come down on it in much the same way as I once did outside Keady. It wasn't carrying an SLR, but I bet it walked the same way as I did afterwards, though.

iirc Harris Hawks work together as a team.One will "send up" a rabbit in the direction of some others that are laying in wait.

4(T)

LE
Dump a box of kittens on the floor of your living room. Within a few minutes, the ginger one - and its always the ginger one - will have organised and set up a linear ambush, complete with sentry, stop groups and killing ground. The victim will always be the runt of the litter, and it'll mew plaintively as it trips the ambush and gets beaten to a pulp by its siblings.

Dump a box of kittens on the floor of your living room. Within a few minutes, the ginger one - and its always the ginger one - will have organised and set up a linear ambush, complete with sentry, stop groups and killing ground. The victim will always be the runt of the litter, and it'll mew plaintively as it trips the ambush and gets beaten to a pulp by its siblings.
What happens when the ginger is the runt?

There was an animal documentary I saw recently. I can't remember the channel unfortunately. But basically it recorded a troop of chimpanzees hunting down a smaller monkey. Having identified their prey, the troop split into two groups. One started wide across the jungle and herded the target monkey into the kill zone of the other group that had gone ahead and was lying in wait. It was fascinating to see how the groups; herders and killers used the natural terrain to their advantage.

The clip ended with the poor bastard monkey just about to be ripped limb from limb by the killers.

Chimp's Tea Party, I think not

Edit to add linkys,
Edit again to delete the annoying link

Last edited:
I think the animal world is learning from observing your average NAAFI warrior.

I notice Bambi doesn't run away. Clearly loves the simian cock.
Once you go simian yer never the same agin'.

No, the donkey jacket's mine.

Once you go simian yer never the same agin'.

No, the donkey jacket's mine.
There's that internet classic of a chimp and a frog too... And the frog certainly isn't the same afterwards.
The watching children think it's hilarious!

Don't necessarily know if that's got anything to do with the military, but I was never in.

Latest Threads