Anglo-Irish War

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by RP578, Feb 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Am doing a little digging on the activities of the Oxf & Bucks LI and stumbled across a number of casualties in the Irish war of Independence. Got me wondering if the British ever issue a medal for the 1919-21 War? I can't find any reference to one even though about 261 Regular troops were killed there.

2. no medal issued by the British AFAIK.

261 sounds a bit high. Does that include Tans and Auxilliaries?

Not all those who died were a result of action :

Pte Alfred G Stonell, 9700, Ox and Bucks killed in barracks by a colleague August 1920. Rifle went off by accident. Supposed to have served 12years and came out of WW1 with 1915 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal.

a few who did die as a result of action :
    Pte Bayliss Ox and Bucks was killed in the convoy carrying Gen Lucas after his escape/release. Also killed in this was Pte Baker, RASC.

Pte Stackman Ox and Bucks killed when a grounded RAF plane he was guarding was attacked. Pte Robins wounded in the attack and died of those wounds.

Other Ox and Bucks listed on the Memorial Service list of officers, NCOs and men of Irish Command 1920-22

Lt Warren
    Pte Morgan
    L/Cpl Parker
    Pte Walker
    Pte Williams

I'll have a look thru my books/notes and see if I can find any references to Ox and Bucks.

3. the reason I ask for clarification re the number is that the Memorial Service held for the Officers, NCOs and Men of Irish Command 21st Nov 1922 lists 162 killed pre Truce, 16 killed post Truce and 2 as "Missing, Fate Unknown". Of the 162, 2 are Auxilliaries.

4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Johnny,

I got the figure from Wiki (I know, I know ...) which is in itself contradictory:

As for the Oxf & Bucks dead, I managed to source the following names, (also a Bucks Battalion lad, a mobilised Territorial?), including the ones you've listed, with some information on the manner of their deaths. The three lads executed as spies by the IRA in Limerick show how some things never change:

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. thanks for the extra information.

I put Stackman in my post as it's how it's spelt on the Memorial Service record but Spackman appears to be the correct spelling. L/Cpl Hudson is not listed.

Of the books I have "The War of Independence in Limerick 1912-1921" by Thomas Toomey appears to have the most references to Ox and Bucks. "British Voices from the Irish War of Independence 1918-1921" has 1 scant mention. "A View from Above" by Donal MacCarron has mention of a couple of planes having to land and subsequently being attacked but doesn't mention unit details. One book I can't lay my hands on at the moment is "Fighting for Dublin" and I think there is a reference to Ox and Bucks. Will check once it resurfaces.

I think you've found Brendan Lee's IrishMedals website. Padraig Og O Ruairc has some information re the soldiers shot as spies on his website War Of Independence.

6. Noticed elsewhere

Were executed British soldiers deserters or spies?

7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for the responses. I was completely unaware of the deserter angle, absolutely fascinating stuff.

8. If anyone is still following this thread, it may be worth mentioning that the full text of "The Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry in Ireland 1919-23" was first published in Bugle & Sabre Vol.3 (2009). Back numbers are available from the Friends of the Oxf & Bucks LI, c/o Edward Brooks Barracks, Cholswell Road, Shippon, Abingdon OX16 3HW.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Ox and Bucks had a Humblingly impressive record on the night of the 5th/6th of June 1944 too. Thank Heavens.

• Like Like x 2
  10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Euryalus, do you have a point of contact for the Friends of the Oxf & Bucks LI?

11. Indeed they do, even if they didn't get there under their own steam.

12. Steam powered Horsa's were found to be ineffective in trials. But they left impressive contrails ;-)

• Funny Funny x 1