Anglo-American Hero Rick Rescorla honoured

#1
Today I noticed an article in the US Army website about a statue of Col. Rick Rescorla, USA (Ret.) that will be unveiled this week. Army.mil linky

Colonel Rescorla was from Cornwall, served in the British Army and the Metropolitan Police before he emigrated to the US. He was decorated for his heroism in Vietnam. Upon retirement from the Army he became Vice-President for security at Morgan Stanley. I understand that he was regarded as a bit of a paranoid pain in the arrse for insisting on evacuation drills in case of terrorist attack. On 9/11 (or 11/9 as you prefer) he was responsible for saving the lives of over 2700 Morgan Stanley employees. A true hero in my opinion and deserving of this honour. The article does not mention his British background.

Rick, Dyw genes!
 
#2
IIRC, he had a bro from his Ia Drang days who had worked as an FBI terrorism expert. And when he became chief of security at Morgan Stanley he asked in the 90's about the biggest risk to the WTC- Car/Truck Bomb was the reply


After 93 had him re-evaluate the threat and said Aircraft


Man had Balls of Steel, Knew the building was likely to come down on him but went back up for a woman in a wheelchair with some of his people to get her out.
 
#4
I was fortunate to know Rick as he liked to be known (his real name was Cyril). He was in the year group above mine at school. Rugby was his main sport. We met up again after I had retired from Army service and returned to Penzance. Fortune decreed that he would walk into my antique shop. We maintained contact until his death.
 
#7
After his death, St Ives' MP, Andrew George campaigned for a decoration or other recognition for Rescorla's efforts on 9/11. I received a letter from Mr. George saying HMG had turned it down as Rescorla had become a US citizen & of those he saved, not enough were British.

Words fail me.

The Cornish haven't forgotten him, there's a memorial in Hayle, his home town.
 
#8
foxs_marine said:
After his death, St Ives' MP, Andrew George campaigned for a decoration or other recognition for Rescorla's efforts on 9/11. I received a letter from Mr. George saying HMG had turned it down as Rescorla had become a US citizen & of those he saved, not enough were British.

Words fail me.

The Cornish haven't forgotten him, there's a memorial in Hayle, his home town.
I still haven't figured out why my government (US) has not done something for him either. Rescoria was a standout among a lot of heroes that day. Father Mychal Judge, a FDNY chaplain, was killed while ministering to injured firefighters and others and was (quite deservedly) awarded a postumous Medal of Freedom. I still feel thay should do the same for Rescoria.

Actually though it really does not matter if a medal is awarded; Rick Rescoria will always be remembered by all of us who work with the memory of 9/11 and attempt to learn lessons from the events to make our cities safer no matter where we are. A friend and colleague, who on 9/11 was a NYPD Sgt. working in 7 WTC, is a former NY cop who has seen a lot and he still gets choked up talking about him.

(note: lots of people also study your subway bombings for the same reason)
 
#9
Is it true that Mel Gibson deliberately omitted any ref to Rescorla in his film 'We Were Soldiers' due to the fact he was English?
 
#10
JoeCivvie said:
A true hero.

http://www.rickrescorla.com

It also has a video of his interview.
Cheers for posting that Joe. A truly genuine hero and a very remarkable man, made even more remarkable by that quite astonishingly prescient video interview. Now there was a fella who really knew his onions. It really should be required viewing.

MsG
 
#11
DavidBOC said:
foxs_marine said:
After his death, St Ives' MP, Andrew George campaigned for a decoration or other recognition for Rescorla's efforts on 9/11. I received a letter from Mr. George saying HMG had turned it down as Rescorla had become a US citizen & of those he saved, not enough were British.

Words fail me.

The Cornish haven't forgotten him, there's a memorial in Hayle, his home town.
I still haven't figured out why my government (US) has not done something for him either.

Just watch the video and see what he says about the US thinking it can be top dog etc etc. I cn bet he would have been a thorn in Bush's side had he survived.
 
#12
MittMayo said:
Is it true that Mel Gibson deliberately omitted any ref to Rescorla in his film 'We Were Soldiers' due to the fact he was English?
Don't get me started MM or I'll be recalling certain Gallipolli Threads etc.


The Website dedicated to Rick Rescorla does have quite a mention of his Roots and his beloved Cornwall:

http://www.rickrescorla.com/Cornwall.htm

[align=center]HERO

A little clutch of veterans share a table in a bar,

There's a guy off in the corner coaxing tunes from his guitar.

They watch the Hudson River as it rolls towards the bend

And they talk of Rick Rescorla as a comrade and a friend.



While out across the water, many ocean-miles away

Within a Cornish Tavern by a sandy Cornish Bay,

Another group are gathered, reminiscing as a clan,

And their thoughts are all of Tammy, from the schoolboy to the man.



And every head among them has a picture in its mind

Which time and place and memory have captured and consigned,

Now the pictures weld together until only one remains,

Of a sturdy, selfless hero guiding others from the flames.



It's a picture which unites them in their glory and their grief,

More eloquent than eulogies, confirming their belief

That theirs had been a privilege to saunter at his side

And in the way he'd lived his life had Rick Rescorla died.



The veterans recalled him in the killing fields of war

As a man whose potent presence would inspire and reassure,

Just one among his brothers when the skies began to fall,

Yet one whom they regarded as a father to them all.



And now their eyes will moisten at the mention of his name

And the sources and the substance of the legend he became,

When mayhem drove the best of men to crave their mother's love,

He'd stand and croon an anthem to the gory gods above.



And on that evil morning, so deceptively serene,

Amid another carnage, just as callous and obscene

Again he took the mantle of the sainted and the strong

To save the lives of others with a blessing and a song.



Between the Hudson River and the sandy shores of Hayle,

Though eyes encompass differences of latitude and scale,

All hands are linked together in the testament they bear,

They are but Rick Rescorla’s friends, united by a prayer.[/align]
 
#13
MittMayo said:
Is it true that Mel Gibson deliberately omitted any ref to Rescorla in his film 'We Were Soldiers' due to the fact he was English?
Why is this fella such a bell-end? Any ideas? Served with loads of Aussies and there was an undoubted bond between Brits and our Antipodean cousins, so whats this gimps' issue?
 
#14
Twice-the-man said:
MittMayo said:
Is it true that Mel Gibson deliberately omitted any ref to Rescorla in his film 'We Were Soldiers' due to the fact he was English?
Why is this fella such a bell-end? Any ideas? Served with loads of Aussies and there was an undoubted bond between Brits and our Antipodean cousins, so whats this gimps' issue?
Don't get him started on the Jews will you!
 
#15
MittMayo said:
Is it true that Mel Gibson deliberately omitted any ref to Rescorla in his film 'We Were Soldiers' due to the fact he was English?
Hollywood is not history. Repeat this mantra whevever watching a Mel Gibson film.
 
C

cloudbuster

Guest
#16
Twice-the-man said:
MittMayo said:
Is it true that Mel Gibson deliberately omitted any ref to Rescorla in his film 'We Were Soldiers' due to the fact he was English?
Why is this fella such a bell-end? Any ideas? Served with loads of Aussies and there was an undoubted bond between Brits and our Antipodean cousins, so whats this gimps' issue?
Probably stems from some Brit giving Mrs Gibson something to hang her towels on.
 
#17
MittMayo said:
Is it true that Mel Gibson deliberately omitted any ref to Rescorla in his film 'We Were Soldiers' due to the fact he was English?
I think that is a myth, although I am of the view that Gibson is a tool.

The film (We were Soldiers) was released in 2002 but was probably completed before 11/9/2001. Rescorla was not known of by Joe Public prior to 11/9/01.

The book had been published with the photograph of Lt. Rescorla on the cover. It was re-published to cash in on the publicity from the film with Gibson's gob on the cover. Oops.

On 11/9/2001, the public address system was directing the staff in WTC 2 to remain at their desks after WTC 1 had been hit. Despite this, Rescorla directed all his staff to evacuate, probably saving 2,700+ lives.

Does anyone know which unit of the British Army Rescorla was in? Wikipedia says he was ex-Para, but I'm not sure that was correct. Anyone serve with him?
 
#18
DavidBOC said:
Today I noticed an article in the US Army website about a statue of Col. Rick Rescorla, USA (Ret.) that will be unveiled this week. Army.mil linky

Colonel Rescorla was from Cornwall, served in the British Army and the Metropolitan Police before he emigrated to the US. He was decorated for his heroism in Vietnam. Upon retirement from the Army he became Vice-President for security at Morgan Stanley. I understand that he was regarded as a bit of a paranoid pain in the arrse for insisting on evacuation drills in case of terrorist attack. On 9/11 (or 11/9 as you prefer) he was responsible for saving the lives of over 2700 Morgan Stanley employees. A true hero in my opinion and deserving of this honour. The article does not mention his British background.

Rick, Dyw genes!
I have a Marine colleague who is now head of security for Morgan Stanley in another region in the world who knew Rick and has given me more detail about his inspirational life and the kind of man he was. We should all aspire to such strength of character and real courage.

My friend provided this information:

In 1957 he enlisted in the British Army and began training as a paratrooper with The Parachute Regiment of the 16th Air Assault Brigade. He went on to serve with an intelligence unit in Cyprus, a paramilitary police inspector in the Northern Rhodesia Police (now the Zambia Police Service). When his military career ended in England he joined the Metropolitan Police Service in London.
I always liked this picture of him during the heat of the Ia Drang fight
--note the fixed bayonet:



Here is a later picture (note the British para wings)

 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#20
IIRC after the battle which featured in the Gibson Film he went back out with his own battalion a day or so later and got stuck in again
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads