Angle grinders - they bite

One of the common mistakes of us who pay for the grinding disks is to ignore the date stamped on them.

Using it once a year I would need to buy a new disk for ever minute used, obviously I don’t and so dance with the reaper!

CC_TA

LE
I enjoy the look on car owners faces that park outside the armourers shop illegally.

It's either going to be grinding disc particles meet spankers Mercedes or some extremely erratic spray painting coating everything :)

I've used hundreds of disks of all kinds and never had a problem with any out of date, I've used ones found on the railway embankment, in skips and abandoned factories decades old, plus recycled the stubs of 9" discs for 4 1/2 grinders which is claimed to bring on instant apocalypse.

It seems to be a H & S invented problem to me in order to remove a tiny risk from the workplace.

I've used hundreds of disks of all kinds and never had a problem with any out of date, I've used ones found on the railway embankment, in skips and abandoned factories decades old, plus recycled the stubs of 9" discs for 4 1/2 grinders which is claimed to bring on instant apocalypse.

It seems to be a H & S invented problem to me in order to remove a tiny risk from the workplace.
This, plus a marketing ploy aimed at Sharon in HR. I’ve never had a problem with regular discs, but I’m always wary of the thin types, especially the midget Dremel jobs which seem to have proximity fuses…

No idea to be fair, I think it was from cutting damp bricks that were at the bottom of the pile. It did bite a few times before it broke up
I've never cut saturated bricks but I've drilled a fair few. I can't think of a better way to guarantee binding as the brick dust swells in the recess.

Scunner

Old-Salt
This, plus a marketing ploy aimed at Sharon in HR. I’ve never had a problem with regular discs, but I’m always wary of the thin types, especially the midget Dremel jobs which seem to have proximity fuses…
Still got a few tiny Dremel discs that my dad bought 30+ years ago. Damn useful for tiny jobs, but they shatter at the slightest misalignment in the groove, same as they did when they were young. I wonder if the more modern ones are better?
I use the 115mm thin 1mm discs almost every day and go through hundreds. The Blue Spot cheapo ones from ebay cut nicely and last as long as any of the other brands we use. I've had a few shatter when the metal being cut pinches the cut closed with tension in the metal structure and stalls the grinder, but not had any explode for no reason. I make a point of never using part worn 'found' 1mm discs from around the workshop as I've no idea if they have been stood on or something and are cracked. I break them in half and bin to avoid problems.
As for out of date discs? Not had any trouble, not looked for dates and have lots of years old discs in my home workshop which I'm not about to throw out. I will have a look for a date if I remember tomorrow.
Our H&S dept haven't flagged up the disc best before date thing and I'm not going to point it out to them, but they couldn't find their own arse holes without a 'training course' and a map anyway... :)

964ST

LE
Still got a few tiny Dremel discs that my dad bought 30+ years ago. Damn useful for tiny jobs, but they shatter at the slightest misalignment in the groove, same as they did when they were young. I wonder if the more modern ones are better?
I use the 115mm thin 1mm discs almost every day and go through hundreds. The Blue Spot cheapo ones from ebay cut nicely and last as long as any of the other brands we use. I've had a few shatter when the metal being cut pinches the cut closed with tension in the metal structure and stalls the grinder, but not had any explode for no reason. I make a point of never using part worn 'found' 1mm discs from around the workshop as I've no idea if they have been stood on or something and are cracked. I break them in half and bin to avoid problems.
As for out of date discs? Not had any trouble, not looked for dates and have lots of years old discs in my home workshop which I'm not about to throw out. I will have a look for a date if I remember tomorrow.
Our H&S dept haven't flagged up the disc best before date thing and I'm not going to point it out to them, but they couldn't find their own arse holes without a 'training course' and a map anyway... :)
If you get hurt whilst working with an out of date disk, you might have difficulty with a Work Injury claim.
Here in Germanland you have to go on regular H&S refreshers if you are a person that works in an industrial envoironment (Handwerker).
Strangely when I was employed as an Aircraft Mechanic (in Germanland) we had regular training but I never came across that info about Grinders and the lifes of the disks, when working on vehicles the first seminar hammered it home! As well as the danger involved in "Batterys" especially LeccyBikes and Car ones!

D5CA85CD-8B7B-4D0E-8543-862E2559047F.jpeg

This never gets old…

Scunner

Old-Salt
Thought this job might amuse? Would H&S like it? Rock drilling machine shaft badly worn where the water/mud/air seal runs, shaft out of stock in Italy but the machine had to go to site, so I reground the worn bit undersize on an ancient lathe, polished it with a flat diamond hone made for knife sharpening, made new bearings and seals for it and it's still running fine a couple of years later.

shaft grind 01.jpg

shaft grind 02.jpg

shaft grind 03.jpg

CC_TA

LE
Thought this job might amuse? Would H&S like it? Rock drilling machine shaft badly worn where the water/mud/air seal runs, shaft out of stock in Italy but the machine had to go to site, so I reground the worn bit undersize on an ancient lathe, polished it with a flat diamond hone made for knife sharpening, made new bearings and seals for it and it's still running fine a couple of years later.

View attachment 611500
View attachment 611501
View attachment 611504
Good skills - this is my kind of engineering: Make things happen!

View attachment 611500
View attachment 611501
Excellent job, and I see you collected the sparks as well…
Woodturners frequently use the smaller grinders with an abrasive disc to get a good finish.

View attachment 611500
View attachment 611501
View attachment 611504
Broken mirror!!!!

Something flew off that should have not?

View attachment 611500
View attachment 611501
View attachment 611504
British ingenuity at its best.
Well done that man.

WALT

LE
I like to know if there's someone wandering into the workshop behind me. Needed a mirror and that pre broken one was the best only one I could find on the day....

Good idea. I might nick that. I was working on the lathe a while back and someone wandered in but couldn't get my attention. So he shouted in my ear. Effing pillock.

Scunner

Old-Salt
Good idea. I might nick that. I was working on the lathe a while back and someone wandered in but couldn't get my attention. So he shouted in my ear. Effing pillock.
Yup, that's what happens, usually just at the end of the final cut up to a shoulder or something...

Here you are.
Hard Hat with Mirrors attached

mirrors.jpg

View attachment 611500
View attachment 611501
View attachment 611504

For your next trick - regrind a crankshaft using the same method.

Latest Threads