Angle grinders - they bite

Scunner

Old-Salt
For your next trick - regrind a crankshaft using the same method.
I'd love to be able to grind a crank and have scribbled ideas for how to do it many times over the years, but never really come up with a practical method. There did used to be simple grinders made by Winona ? which did the big ends with the crank still in the block, but I'd be more interested in something which didn't rely on the existing big end journal to locate the 'new' journal surface, so I could tweak the stroke. Proper crank grinders are far too expensive for my tinkering and to do it in a lathe requires something with a far larger swing than you'd think at first glance.
20+ years ago I bought a tractor which had seized and run a big end. Very short of cash at the time. I cleaned up the seized piston and turned it round so the thrust would be on a fresh side (luckily symmetrical pistons) , remachined the con rod big end bore back to round and to size and 'fixed' the crank by filing the journal round again and undersize, finished it with emery glued to a bit of flat bar. Took bloody ages, crank still in the tractor, old shed, dirt floor, file a bit, mic it up to find the high spots, file again, blah, blah, blah, you get the picture. Took forever, but it worked, ran fine and worked round the place for years. There's a photo somewhere of the amazing moment when I fired it up, shed full of smoke as the oil in the bores etc. burned off. Just been to the attic and found it !
tractor start.jpg

I replaced the crank when I restored the tractor a couple of years ago, cranks are cheap these days and I'm no longer skint :)

I like to know if there's someone wandering into the workshop behind me. Needed a mirror and that pre broken one was the best only one I could find on the day....
Same as me. I have old house hold mirrors around my garage so when I am playing with the noisy boys toys I can see if people come in. I hate being approached from behind, high startle reaction and a short temper!!!!

Also handy for DIY hair cuts.

Quick question: How many people leave the chuck key in the lathe chuck when they finish doing a job?

I once saw a chuck key go flying across a workshop when the chap turned the lathe on. (Not his best moment).

Corrected spelling of LATHE!!!!

Last edited:
Same as me. I have old house hold mirrors around my garage so when I am playing with the noisy boys toys I can see if people come in. I hate being approached from behind, high startle reaction and a short temper!!!!

Quick question: How many people leave the chuck key in the lave chuck when they finish doing a job?

I once saw a chuck key go flying across a workshop when the chap turned the lave on. (Not his best moment).

Never never never. Drummed into me in the school workshop, One of the few things I remember.

One of many near terminal mistakes.
At the current house I needed to enlarge the cutout of the granite work bench to accommodate SWMBO larger cook-top of choice. Started out slow and cautious, using the 240v electric circular saw thingy with a 4" diamond masonry disc. Very slow and incredibly dusty. So to hasten things up, retrieved the 2000w 9" angle grinder with the masonry disc.
The used masonry disc.
The used masonry disc with the nick in it from where some tw@t had dropped it and not binned the disc.
So anticipating a very quick completion of task, plug in, control the kick of the initial torque and gently apply to the cut line.
Weee! The nick catches and kicks the whole unit up and back into my chest. Felt the impact and looked down expecting to self survey my own sucking chest wound and at least enjoy the unique and final sight of the inner workings of my own heart.
What I actually saw was the remains of my tee shirt which had torn from my body, caught and wrapped around the spindle acting as a fabric brake and had slowed the spin down to something non terminal by the time it made contact with my sternum. Aside from a deepish cut and a new pair of under-crackers, no damage was done.
Not surprisingly, I returned, after a suitable period of calming down and clearing up, to the slower and safer circular saw approach.

Quick question: How many people leave the chuck key in the lathe chuck when they finish doing a job?

I once saw a chuck key go flying across a workshop when the chap turned the lathe on. (Not his best moment).

Corrected spelling of LATHE!!!!
Many (many) years ago, one of our more entertaining high school woodwork teachers told us a similar cautionary tale about forgetting to remove the key. In his example, a teenager at a previous school was hit squarely in the nuts after a couple of revolutions.

Latest Threads