Anger over plan to dig up 350,000 bodies

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by ukdaytona, Oct 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A row has erupted over a plan to dig up a third of a million bodies from a historic east London cemetery to make way for a new Muslim burial site.

Tower Hamlets council in London is considering reopening the Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park in Mile End to answer a long-running campaign for a Muslim graveyard in the area.

The park, off Bow Common Lane, was deconsecrated as a Church of England cemetery by Parliament in 1966, after being deemed full with about 350,000 bodies buried there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=487017&in_page_id=1770

OK So its from the Wail but dont shoot me..... trying to find references elsewhere....

2. Oh FFS. If people are really that bothered by this, nip up there and do a Serb militia on the gaff with some pork chops et cetera! After all these people need cemetaries too.

I do find the cavalier attitude of local councils to graveyards and the memorial masonry in them annoying mind you...

3. I bet some of the bodies are of plague victims. Isn't it still illegal to dig up plague pits?

4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Oooh if true, this is going to be enormous fun :twisted: It's probably not though and it is from the Daily hate, but then again it's Tower Hamlets and they are a serious bunch of cnuts. :x

5. From council leader Cllr. Denise Jones:

"Tower Hamlets Council is proud to be "friendly" to people of all faiths, not just Islam. We are also proud of our borough that's home to thousands of diverse people; some that have lived in the borough for many years, others a few months.

"We are very aware that there is a desire amongst our residents for a new burial ground in the borough and work has been undertaken over a number of years to assess the feasibility of this.

"The lack of space in London for new or expanding cemeteries is not unique to the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. Most people who live in inner London boroughs and who wish to be buried, must currently seek a suitable burial site, often a long way from where their families and friends live.

"With regards to Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park, there are currently no plans to re-open it as a cemetery. Councillors are fully aware that it is a popular and historic nature park and if there were any proposals to alter the look or the functionality of the Park, there would be a full consultation with interested parties."

Or in English, bugger we'd better wind our necks in!

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Am I reading this correctly? The local council want to DIG UP 350,000 dead bodies in a FULL cemetary so that some muslims can have a cemetary for muslims?

You have got to be sh!tting me!

7. Well if we need a mass grave for 350'000 dead muslims at least its a start!

:twisted:

8. Excuse me?

9. My question is this...... IF they dig up 350,000 bodies to create a new burial sight for Muslims (and I dont give a shite which group gets it) WHERE will they re-bury the 350,000 bodies or will they just be disposed of Nazi style in local Crems ???

10. Unbelievable - mind you I seem to remember that you only lease a grave and it lasts for about 90 years - so if you are organised but live a very long time you could lose your right to be buried in the spot you have paid for.

11. Further to my last why does it need to be a muslim cemetary? Why can they not have and area in the cleared cemetary, Jews have their area and the Christian denominations thiers....If we must disinter the dead why should we only do it on behlaf of one of our many communities?

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

When you bury someone, their bodies are supposed to rest in peace also, for fecking eternity. What person would want to be buried, knowing that at some point in the future, some cr@ppy council will dig you up in a few years and either stick you in a landfill site, or burn your bits.

As for that Abdul spakker, saying we should clear out 350,000 of our dead to preserve the dignity and respect of his muslim mates, that really takes the fecking biscuit. Somebody (and I don't care who reads this) should give that bloke a good fecking kicking and then ship him back to his own fecking lands (unless of course, he and his fellow muslims are OK with the idea that we do the same thing to THEIR dead in a few years time).

This is beyond a fcuking joke.

13. Members of the council are:

Cllr. Ann Jackson, Mayor.
    Cllr. Mohammed Shalid Ali, Deputy Mayor.
    Cllr Clair Hawkins, leading on children’s services
    Cllr Abdal Ullah, cleaner, safer, greener
    Cllr Shiria Khatun, culture
    Cllr Rupert Bawden, development and housing
    Cllr Abdul Asad, employment and skills
    Cllr Motin Uz- Zaman, health and wellbeing
    Cllr Ohid Ahmed, regeneration, localisation and community partnerships
    Cllr Joshua Peck, resources and performance.

Call me old Mr suspicious here but.....

14. Exactly what I was thinking.

What are the peculiarities of a muslim graveyard that mean they can't 'share'?

Its not the old 'we are clean, you are infidels' thing again is it?

15. I sense where you are going with this Cad, are you suggesting at best a six-four split on the vote! :twisted: